Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox360 has 3 years left......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Original Xbox died pretty quickly when the 360 came out and there hasn't been very good exclusive support for the 360 in the past couple of years so I'm not sure I see it having the kind of long life the PS2 had.
    If 3rd parties keep developing for the Wii U it'd make sense that the PS3/360 would see spillover from that but thats far from certain now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,005 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Last game for me on 360 is GTA 5. After that, the Xbox is dead to me..

Isn't Dark Souls 2 going to be a 360 release?

You'd be mad to miss that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

And titanfall?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

And titanfall?

Xbox One game, the 360 can't hope to run that game even with massively reduced graphics and physics settings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Xbox One game, the 360 can't hope to run that game even with massively reduced graphics and physics settings.

But it's being released on the 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

But it's being released on the 360?

It is, didn't know till now but the 360 version is being made by a different studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

o1s1n wrote: »
    Isn't Dark Souls 2 going to be a 360 release?

You'd be mad to miss that.
    And titanfall?

And Batman Arkham Origins & Castlevania: LOS 2. Oh and most of the games due out on next gen hardware :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 heytherebro2

My last two games for the current gen are going to be GTA V & Origins ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

for FPS fans, there is Enemy front and Warface coming next year. But as others have said its like when the 360 first came out good games for the original xbox seemed to cease.

Surely developers will keep an eye on how many people are playing on current-gen vs next gen (though not sure how they can realistically), you might end up seeing a lot of current games rushed now so devs can get onto next-gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

syboit wrote: »
    for FPS fans, there is Enemy front and Warface coming next year. But as others have said its like when the 360 first came out good games for the original xbox seemed to cease.

Surely developers will keep an eye on how many people are playing on current-gen vs next gen (though not sure how they can realistically), you might end up seeing a lot of current games rushed now so devs can get onto next-gen.

When the Xbox 360 came out, Microsoft were still new to the console business and weren't properly set up to run two console systems in parallel, that's why they killed off the original Xbox so quickly.

This time around, they are far more established and have 50+ million users who still have money they're willing to spend on the system other before they buy a One or in parallel (keep both consoles running).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

When the Xbox 360 came out, Microsoft were still new to the console business and weren't properly set up to run two console systems in parallel, that's why they killed off the original Xbox so quickly.

This time around, they are far more established and have 50+ million users who still have money they're willing to spend on the system other before they buy a One or in parallel (keep both consoles running).

Relatively small install base that wouldn't justify further development and would have just muddied the message and push for the 360. Also, every Xbox cost MS money, they never managed to engineer a profitable revision. They were right to kill it as quickly as they did. Unfortunately the obsession with turning a profit quickly on the 360 led to sloppy engineering and the RRoD debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Will be an interesting one to keep and eye on. Every other computer/console I've owned (from C64 days), its always hard to go back. For me playing 360 games in HD , it was just impossible to go back to the xbox (even though I had a few games yet to finish). Will be interesting to see how much improved xbox1 games will be over 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm not gonna get a next generation console for at least another year because A) It costs way more at launch
    B) The first edition of the new console will be worse than the one that comes out a year later after all the teething problems have been worked out.
    C) there aren't gonna be any decent games for the first year, only polished versions of current gen games.

Also, When the xbox 360 was launched, a launch title was BF2 Modern combat, but they had a version for the PS2 which shared the name but everything else was different. That game was so much fun, i doubt anyone on the PS3 knew what they were actually missing.
    Still one of my favourite games.

Graphics aren't everything and and the gameplay capabilities of the new console take about a year for the developers to properly work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The Xbox 360 doesnt have 3 more years left as we know it. Sure if you want to get techincal Fifa 13 was released for the Ps2 :p But it hardly means the ps2 has had a 13 year life span :p

We're set to see xbox 360 versions of Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4 etc this year and maybe, at best, next year you'll get a few xbox 360 versions of the Q4 AAA titles. But do you really think you'll see Battlefield 5 on the 360? or the 2015 call of duty game? unlikely :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Gta 5 is my last game because I'm off to New Zealand in October 30th and gta will consume me until then...

bring the 360 with you. it works over here too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

There are still plenty of games I want to play on the 360 so I can six or seven months of running both side by side, probably until One games get cheap, whereas the original Xbox got shelved as soon as I witnessed glorious HD :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Another point against the "original xbox died straight away, why will it be different now?" argument: one of the reasons they discontinued it so quickly was that they had a tiff with Nvidia who made the graphics chip over them choosing AMD as the gfx chip provider for the 360 so when their contract ended in August 2005, they stopped producing chips for the Xbox hence why the 360 was rushed to market in time for Christmas and as such resulting in not a whole lot of time for QA ending with a whole lot of eventual RROD consoles.

Advertisement