Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employers exploiting employees

Options
  • 04-09-2013 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have worked in & around West Cork for the last 14 years as a Chef. I have worked in some great places before coming here & a couple here & it seems to me like many of the small employers here feel as if they own you & can bully employees any way they like . Outside of here they would not get away with half the s..t they go on with . All i have heard since the recession here is how poor employers are & how they struggle to pay bills ,lie & cheat there employees.Give them 10 mins notice to come in for an hour or two. As a chef over the years i am used to hard work long hours but fair play. With some of the small family run businesses here they seem to miss the point that there biggest asset is there staff. They live with the attitude if you don't like it then ,you know where to go. Most employees are afraid to speak up as they are frightened of loosing there job . That seems to be common in Ireland even when the Government start bullying people. I work a 13 hour day & most days don't get a break as we are so short staffed & you eat as you work. The employers are laughing,they are always giving out about there bills , how poor they are etcetc & they are the ones who have 3-4 holidays & drive the new cars .So unprofessional . Enough is enough & i am moving on,some of the employers are a disgrace. I am sure there are a lot of employers who treat there staff well but i am yet to meet them. I have made my employer a lot of money over the past years but when i see how they are exploiting people it revolts me. The last year they have taken all the staff tips for themselves. Yes thats how low they have gone now. Pay the peanuts & you will get monkeys.Even a contract here isn't worth the paper it's written on. Au Revoir

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I worked in a Hotel for 5 years, it was one of the less worse ones, but there is no way I'd work full time in a hotel again, you have no life.

I moved to retail and its not half as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bigdaddy1963

Yes i tried applying to Aldi,Supervalu & Tesco but no luck to date. My brother came out of Chef work & has gone into development but this is in UK. His company supply a lot of the supermarkets. Those jobs here are limited. Thanks for your comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

if you feel your are being exploited and have brought this up with your employer with no satisfaction or are afraid to bring this up with your employer then contact NERA (www.employmentrights.ie)

they investigate breaches of employment rights and carry out unnannounced checks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Much like the current doctors overtime debacle - present and previous governments have eroded employees rights and protections to the point that some employers can openly utilise illegal practises towards their employees without any real danger of penalisation or proper sanction and all because ongoing government bias places employers above individual rights

If doctors are expected to put up with illegal work practices what hope they rest of society?

See:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-junior-doctors-strike-1066689-Sep2013/

The principle Employer Representation bodies are prime examples of what has been allowed to develop a grossly bloated influence over government policy to the detriment of employees rights

As long as the live register is the main focus of government policy nothing will be done. A case of quantity over any employment equality ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bigdaddy1963

Don't get me onto Governments here & the World over there all corrupt at different levels & i think it's time we look at the French & take on board what there doing . They stand up in large numbers for there rights. The Irish seem to take it on the chin. We own the government should be our policy, not them owning us & dictating to us to justify some of there pathetic practices. I fight them on a daily basis but to be honest one Man shouting at them ,they just laugh back.

The Doctors & Nurses are like gold, but as professionals i hope they don't start cutting corners, they of all people should make a stand to these lunatics in government. Catering has been exploited for years though, & to be honest you wonder why you went to College & did all the hard work for these employers to cut your wages by 30% & let you work for the same wage as someone who hasn't bothered going to college or do any course at all. The business has got worse by the year. It is nothing like you see on TV believe me .

Many thanks for your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Just wanted to say, agree with everything you say bigdaddy, we need more people like you not afraid to say how things really are.

rubberdiddies, there are no rights for chef's

Advertisement