Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipes with dulse/dillisk?

Options
  • 04-09-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I've only recently discovered dulse and would love some recipes using it. The only ones I've come across on line are brown bread, chowder and DLT sandwiches.

How else can I use or cook with it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Is that seaweed? I'm pretty sure there's a couple of cookbooks around about cooking with seaweed, but I definitely heard someone on Today FM a couple of weeks ago talking about it, and I think she said she makes dillisk crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Sushi?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭summerdreamn

It's seaweed but very different texture to nori. The man at the shop suggested putting some in scrambled eggs with smoked salmon so I'm trying that tonight.

It tastes like the sea, quite salty but not fishy. It does stink tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Dilisk Soda Bread - Darina Allen recipe

Ingredients

450g white flour
    1 level teaspoon salt
    1 level teaspoon bread soda
    25g dilisk chopped
    350-400ml buttermilk

Method

Preheat oven to 230c/450f/gas 8

Sieve the dry ingredients

Mix in the dilisk

Make a well in the centre and pour in most of the milk, mixing with one hand and pouring extra milk if necessary

Dough should be softish, not too wet and sticky

Turn out onto well floured surface

Wash and dry hands

Tidy up the dough and flip over gently. Pat the dough into a round about 1.5 inches deep and cut a cross on it to let the fairies out :D Let the cuts go over the side of the bread

Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 200/400/Gas 6 for 30 minutes

Bottom of bread should sound hollow when tapped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Good few recipe ideas here too:
    http://www.irishseaweed.co.uk/recipes.php

• Advertisement
Advertisement