Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Business Concept - But I'm totally lost!

Options
  • 04-09-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have recently finished university and am looking to develop an entrepreneurial concept I have. It requires a tech device to be developed, but the technology is already there. For example technology such as voice recording and a hard drive currently exist but I need to develop a product where they both integrate with each other with software. Only a little device is required such as the size of a mini iPod.

I also require software to be developed for it, but again, the software would be easily developed as it utilizes current existing technology.

Basically I have no cash but I know this concept will work if I am able to develop it.

Is there anywhere I can go that will assist me in the development of my business concept? Any government agencies or university agencies?

Many Thanks,

A. Hero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bcorden

The first place I would try would be your local enterprise board. They can provide you with a range of support options but they will also be looking to see if your idea can turn into a viable business. They might also be able to put you in the right direction with bodies who can help develop your idea.

If you Google search for an enterprise board in your area you'll get the contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Thanks bcorden,

I appreciate it. I will get in touch with them as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Would writing a smartphone app solve this? Most have voice recording ability already and would save carrying 2 devices/developing hardware etc.

Hi Jason - this is actually one route I am thinking of as a mobile phone has all of the hardware that I require. With that being said, I would need to rent out the phones to businesses. An app would make things quite a bit easier though!

Do you know of any places that would help me write an app? I would need a large amount of phones too - I suppose I'd have to talk to HTC, Samsung or someone!

Thank for your response Jason!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

With that being said, I would need to rent out the phones to businesses.

why ? Just have a recurring charge/monthly subscription for the app.
    I would need a large amount of phones too - I suppose I'd have to talk to HTC, Samsung or someone!

You will have to pay for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

average hero, if you want to send me a PM. I'm an Apple iOS Developer and an Electronic Engineer. Happy to sign an NDA if you wanted to just quickly discuss the idea and I can give you some feedback.

Curious as to why you're renting the phones out?

Hi Jason,

It's because I need hardware and software components. A smartphone has all of the hardware components I need. I could develop an app for the smartphone and use the components already in the phone

OR

I could try and develop the hardware device myself and then add the software to it...

It's a business to business concept.

I know I'm being vague and that's not conducive to receiving help but the using a smartphone idea is good!

I think it might be hard sell if you;re asking people to carry around a second device to perform a function the device in their pocket already does.
    I'd look at solely developing an app, would cut out a lot of the trouble for you. Best of luck with it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hi Jason,

It's because I need hardware and software components. A smartphone has all of the hardware components I need. I could develop an app for the smartphone and use the components already in the phone

OR

I could try and develop the hardware device myself and then add the software to it...

It's a business to business concept.

I know I'm being vague and that's not conducive to receiving help but the using a smartphone idea is good!

If a smartphone has all the hardware you need and is suitable for what you are looking to do then I think you would need a very, very good reason to do the hardware yourself.

Not only will it mean your customer's carrying around another device like Jason says but it will increase your costs and therefore the end cost to the customer. It makes it easier for a competitor to come along and undercut you by just decoupling the app/service from the hardware. Even if their app/service wasn't as good the cost difference could be significant enough to make a lot of people choose or switch to them. They will have a higher margin percentage and could even be making more margin per customer than you are despite being cheaper. Plus, it means you have to deal with all sorts of other issues like repairs and what to do with older models etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement