Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Minecraft beneficial socially for kids?

Options
  • 04-09-2013 5:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

Okay so basically I'm entering a science competition this year and my idea revolves around developing a new minecraft "game" you might say, to be played by children in school and It is intended to teach moral and social skills and to encourage teamwork and combat bullying, I believe it will work but I need to figure out how to test its effect and have no idea how to do so, so this is why I've come here. If you have any advice please post, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

combat bullying

I think your forgetting the times when everyone decides to gang up on someone else in minecraft :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 PikachuSmosher

don't worry I'm taking care of that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There are at least 1,000 games that are supposed to teach kids morals and be anti bullying etc,every single one of them failed. You'll need to do something new and different if you want it to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I believe it will work but I need to figure out how to test its effect and have no idea how to do so, so this is why I've come here. If you have any advice please post, thanks.

So it's basically a psychology experiment then, probably more advice in the psychology forum on the protocols for running this than the computer forum.

Kids will learn by reward versus punishment.
    Maybe they get extra in-game items for cooperating and interacting with new players.
    Or they have to solve a problem, but different people have different parts of the solution, so they need to co-operate to solve it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 PikachuSmosher

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement