Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop cooling fan not working?

Options
  • 04-09-2013 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

I have a HP 2000-416DX Notebook PC, and it uses Windows 7, and up until now, the fan has worked smoothly, it did not give any indication that it was faulty. But today after starting it up, a message came up saying that the fan was not operating properly and that in 15 seconds the laptop will shut down. Also said that the fan being broken could result in the laptop shutting down on me if it overheats.

So is there anything I can do to fix it myself, or do I have to take it to a computer repairs? I have moving to go to college next week, and I don't want to have to wait two weeks or something to have it repaired, especially since I'll need my laptop a lot for my course.

Any advice would be great, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

to give you an idea of the work involved. You'll probably get a fan/heatsink for under 30, but I won't point you at a particular one in case yours is different.

Maybe you aren't happy with taking it apart that far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bcorden

Just a couple of things to check / bear in mind?

Firstly do you know if the laptop is out of warranty - some laptops had a one year warranty and others a three year warranty? You really want to go down the warranty route if at all possible?

Secondly just in case have you check to make sure it's not dust or anything simple?

Finally I'd be very slow to repair the laptop yourself? They have some parts that are very easy to damage especially if you are not sure what you are doing? A good PC repair shop should be able to fix this and within a day or so? Hard to guess costs because it will vary from place to place?

Advertisement