Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't access settings on router!!

Options
  • 04-09-2013 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

Having a problem trying to open ports on a router. My ISP is sky conway and they supplied me with a Zyxel AMG1302-T10A router. The problem is I am quite limited to what I can change on the router.
    Under the heading "Network" there is only one link "Wireless LAN" and nothing else. Normally there should be a "security", "advanced" and "maintenance" link.
    Also, under the "Wireless LAN" there should be "WAN", "LAN", "Wireless LAN" and "NAT" but they're not there!!

Obviously I don't have access to certain settings on the router, is there a way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

skits08 wrote: »
    Hi,

Having a problem trying to open ports on a router. My ISP is sky conway and they supplied me with a Zyxel AMG1302-T10A router. The problem is I am quite limited to what I can change on the router.
    Under the heading "Network" there is only one link "Wireless LAN" and nothing else. Normally there should be a "security", "advanced" and "maintenance" link.
    Also, under the "Wireless LAN" there should be "WAN", "LAN", "Wireless LAN" and "NAT" but they're not there!!

Obviously I don't have access to certain settings on the router, is there a way around this?

buy a decent router... sky routers are locked down

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

also sometimes some features are locked out if on wifi and you can only access them by wired lan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

buy a decent router... sky routers are locked down

he said 'sky conway' not SKY. Different routers.

Reboot the router and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 skits08

Hi guys,

Tried logging in with an ethernet cable and rebooted the router but still I can't access the settings I need to. When I rebooted the router IP address/DNS settings were gone and I couldn't key them in myself because I didn't have access to that part of the router either!! I had to get a new router put in by skyconway (didn't tell them how it happened :)

I think I'll just have to buy my own router, how would I key their DNS settings into my own one, is it their default gateway settings?

I think I'll just have to buy my own router, how would I key their DNS settings into my own one, is it their default gateway settings?

Set your dns to the ip address of the router, this will ensure that you will default to the isp's dns, assuming that you have selected DHCP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Most cable ISPs register the client's MAC address. Attempt to use a non-authorized modem and you might just end up being denied access to the network.

It sounds like they supply a terrible router if it can't survive a reboot! If you ever have a power outage you could be screwed.

Check with the OP of this thread to see what he/she did to gain access:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83519345

A reboot should not wipe the WAN IP and DNS settings. If by reboot you mean reset, then you shouldn't. Not with custom firmware which you can't access.

Torqay wrote: »
    A reboot should not wipe the WAN IP and DNS settings. If by reboot you mean reset, then you shouldn't. Not with custom firmware which you can't access.

Even a reset should apply the default ISP settings which in theory should still work.

OP have you tried with a different browser (chrome/firefox)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

OP, what username and you using to login? Looks like your logging in as a user and not admin (default username is admin, password is 1234).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 skits08

advertsfox wrote: »
    OP, what username and you using to login? Looks like your logging in as a user and not admin (default username is admin, password is 1234).

The password I use is "user". I can't enter a username all I can enter is a password. I've tried 1234 and admin as the password but they don't work.

Telnet should work just fine.

But as I said before, if you tamper with settings you're not supposed to access, your ISP might just lock you out.

Advertisement