Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon/Apple Extreme Double NAT

• 04-09-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I got the horizon box - mainly for faster speeds - was still on the scientific atlanta modem.

I have plugged it on, disabled the wirless radio and plugged in my Apple Extreme Base Station

I have a double NAT warning as a result of horizon router/apple extreme using same IP - is this an issue for me if the only device that will ever connect to horizon is the hard-wired Apple router? Nothing capable of connecting wirlessly as radio disabled? All devices are connected to Apple router and are visible to each other.

Will this affect BB speed?

Any advice/opinion is most welcome

P.S. I trawled web and the answer if I want rid is to put Apple in to bridge mode, but i'd prefer to keep it as the router.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

What you want is to put the Horizon box into bridge mode. But that's not possible.

I don't think double NAT will affect speed (though I may be wrong). What it affects is some services that won't be able to find the machines on your network (Apple's back to my mac being one). Experts will know more than I do about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It'll certainly add a small bit of latency.

If you're just using the Apple as an access point disable DHCP(assume it is already) and NAT and the firewall, then its just a dumb access point and leaves the routing to the horizon box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Thanks Guys, much appreciated

Advertisement