Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding LCVP?

• 04-09-2013 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭

Is it worth doing lcvp if you are doing all higher level subjects? Or would it just be an extra workload on top of my other subjects? I was reading our school statistics and there are very little distinctions, mostly merits and passes. I talked to my guidance counsellor about it and he said it would be worth doing as a fallback incase an exam goes badly but a merit is only 50 points and I think I would only be capable of the merit as there is very little success with the LCVP course in my school.

Also, is it hard to keep up all HL subjects? The only subject Iwould really consider dropping in is History if I had to (even though i struggle with maths but a D3 I think i could achieve, I'm mainly staying for the extra points)... Sorry to bother yee but just a question :P

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are you already doing Business as one of your subjects?

If so, I don't think the workload of LCVP would be exceptionally hard, certainly not anything like HL in any other subject. Distinctions are hard to come by, that's true, but if you could be more or less guaranteeing yourself a 50 point backup in the event of a disaster (which I'm sure there won't be, but plan ahead and all that), I think it would be worth doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

AulBiddy wrote: »
    Is it worth doing lcvp if you are doing all higher level subjects? Or would it just be an extra workload on top of my other subjects? I was reading our school statistics and there are very little distinctions, mostly merits and passes. I talked to my guidance counsellor about it and he said it would be worth doing as a fallback incase an exam goes badly but a merit is only 50 points and I think I would only be capable of the merit as there is very little success with the LCVP course in my school.

Also, is it hard to keep up all HL subjects? The only subject Iwould really consider dropping in is History if I had to (even though i struggle with maths but a D3 I think i could achieve, I'm mainly staying for the extra points)... Sorry to bother yee but just a question :P

I counted lcvp this year as my top 6 :) its an easy subject if you just do the work in class! Do all the portfolio in class and whatever work your teacher tells you. I never had to do anything lcvp related outside class and got a distinction in the end :) business is a big advantage but still manageable without it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I got a distinction and it really helped with my points as I only had 5 higher level subjects. If you're doing business, you've seen most of it already and it's very easy, otherwise it can be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Thanks for the replies guys :) no I haven't done business at all not doing it now either another reason I'm kind of sitting on the line about it.. Oh well I've lots of time to think about it :o thanks so much again! :)

I don't think there's a reason for you not to do LCVP. The portfolio is submitted around April and the written exam is in May so all aspects of the examination are over before the 'official' Leaving Cert starts. Distinctions are definitely hard to come by although I believe it's because people are doubting their ability to get one.
    My school had never gotten a distinction in LCVP before but this year there were ~4-5. You just need to take your time to get your portfolio items spot on! (I think I did 3 versions of each) And also, I didn't do business except at JC level and I found it manageable and came out with the distinction :)
    I suppose it is up to you at the end of the day as you never know what might happen. I've seen stories on this forum of B1/A2 students getting Cs in their Leaving Cert (mostly English and Business) so it's always nice to have the back up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

portfolios piss easy i got the distinction in the portfolio but the written brought me down to the merit.. all depends on the day..can be said for every subject really.. I have to say though it does interfere with the orals as they're all around the same time!

Advertisement