Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Soup Kitchen in Ennis?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

CptSternn wrote: »
    I have a question in regards to soup kitchens.

Are they funded publicly or privately?

Here is why I ask. They claim there is a need for a soup kitchen in Ennis. I personally don't know if there is or is not. I wouldn't think there was, but sure, without properly researching the issue or knowing what the council/HSE knows I can't really say either way.

So I would think letting them open one, in a proper suitable agreed on location, would be a good way to find out. If people use it, then there is a need. If it doesn't get a good crowd then obviously it is not needed.

The problem then becomes funding. I lived in America for many years and one of the things 'charity' groups did there was start a charity and raise money for said charity and 90% of that money went directly to the employees who also turns out were on the board of directors for the charity, therefore as directors can collect a salary. What is even worse, many get government funding since they are charities. This means you could pick a cause like 'save the snails' and get a couple mates together, throw some fundraiser parties, and make a killing as people who donate can write off the entire donation on their taxes AND the government would then also give you a nice cheque on top of that as well.

You end up with charities which are not really charities but just money making ventures for a few people.

It's why I was wondering here, if this soup kitchen got the green light from the council would it be funded by the Irish government therefore ensuring no matter if there is an actual need or not it would stay open thanks to taxpayers.
    In the case of Twist Soup Kitchens, it's a charity and it relies on donations from the general public, local businesses and food suppliers. All the kitchens are run by volunteers.

The kitchens serve up to 2,000 meal a week in its five outlets.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Numbers-in-Ireland-accessing-soup-kitchen-quadruples-218212582.html?page=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Will the government fund a soup kitchen? When Shannon airport has 90% pigs taking off maybe.

<image removed>

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm from Ennis so I don't like soup.

That hatred extends to broths, bisques and bouillon. Chowder is borderline but ultimately frowned upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

OK well as far as I'm concerned this thread is over. I thank the mods for pointing out the trolling and allowing a resident to air their grievance passionately not aggressively. The issue continues for the residents beyond this board and as a final statement I will say until such time as safety and security can be guaranteed for not only the residents but the young women who will be availing of this facility in such a secluded area and it is operated to the letter of the law we will continue to oppose it despite the self righteous ramblings of the obtuse.

Thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

MyKeyG wrote: »
    OK well as far as I'm concerned this thread is over. I thank the mods for pointing out the trolling and allowing a resident to air their grievance passionately not aggressively. The issue continues for the residents beyond this board and as a final statement I will say until such time as safety and security can be guaranteed for not only the residents but the young women who will be availing of this facility in such a secluded area and it is operated to the letter of the law we will continue to oppose it despite the self righteous ramblings of the obtuse.

Thank you.

Sorry, which facility are you referring to? The homeless shelter or the future location of the soup kitchen?

• Advertisement

Sorry, which facility are you referring to? The homeless shelter or the future location of the soup kitchen?
    I'm referring to any facility in this building. I took it for granted it was common knowledge that the soup kitchen will not be going ahead since a link to an article saying as much was posted here. As I mentioned numerous times this building is becoming a case of extreme consternation for the residents among other things. That's why I said the issue will continue beyond these boards. Wow people really don't read posts here do they?

Maybe if you hadn't been so hasty to jump down my neck at every turn you would have realised I have nothing against charity, I merely oppose the use of this building as a public gathering place in any form due to it's seclusion. Or am I being aggressive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I'm referring to any facility in this building. I took it for granted it was common knowledge that the soup kitchen will not be going ahead since a link to an article saying as much was posted here. As I mentioned numerous times this building is becoming a case of extreme consternation for the residents among other things. That's why I said the issue will continue beyond these boards. Wow people really don't read posts here do they?

Maybe if you hadn't been so hasty to jump down my neck at every turn you would have realised I have nothing against charity, I merely oppose the use of this building as a public gathering place in any form due to it's seclusion. Or am I being aggressive?

Sorry, you wording was just a bit obtuse.
    Well I wish the residents all the best in their continuing struggle against men's shelters, soup kitchens and religious orders.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Greenacres

Will the government fund a soup kitchen? When Shannon airport has 90% pigs taking off maybe.

Anyways, residents, you happy?

I am a resident. I never had an objection, as neither did a couple more of my neighbours. unfortunately I was away when the NIMBY note was put through my door. I would have liked to have a word with the Christian lady that delivered it. I would have gladly volunteered in the establishment. I have lived here for nearly 10 years and fortunately not experienced the anti-social issues reported by some. The odd disturbance of course but who hasn't.

Greenacres wrote: »
    I am a resident. I never had an objection, as neither did a couple more of my neighbours. unfortunately I was away when the NIMBY note was put through my door. I would have liked to have a word with the Christian lady that delivered it. I would have gladly volunteered in the establishment. I have lived here for nearly 10 years and fortunately not experienced the anti-social issues reported by some. The odd disturbance of course but who hasn't.
    I'm just going to play devil's advocate here for a second (I'm making a general point, I'm not referring to your location).

I can understand why some residents would be supportive, while others would be opposed to it.

Your location is crucial, depending on the layout of an estate, some houses might be very badly affected by anti-social behaviour or nuisance while other houses may not experience it at all or to a much lesser extent yet they all share the same address.

Sorry, you wording was just a bit obtuse.
    Well I wish the residents all the best in their continuing struggle against men's shelters, soup kitchens and religious orders.;)
    You need to buy a dictionary.

• Advertisement

Greenacres wrote: »
    Well my father was born in the front room of my house. In my time on this road we have had rapes and drug dealers, students and drunks and anything else you can think of short of murder. That's a fact. If a suitable place was found for the soup kitchen I would be the first person to volunteer my spare time but not in a secluded back lane out of sight and sound. But then again I'm a monster aren't I?

Posters are only exchanging personal insults at this stage so I think there is little point in keeping the thread open.

If/when there are any new developments relating to a soup kitchen in Ennis, we can re-open the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement