Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Exercise

• 04-09-2013 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I'm having huge trouble walking my 1 year old Staff-cross. He's constantly pulling on the lead. I've tried a couple of different methods with him, but he doesn't seem to have learned anything from it. This has been going on for months at this stage. I had a bit of success with a Canny Collar, but as soon as I tried him without it he was back to his old self. Exercising him has been okay during the summer because I've been off during the day, and I took him for regular runs on a huge common area outside of town. But I'm back to college now, and with the evenings closing in I won't be able to take him there every day.

Anyway, I know I'll have to sort out the pulling issue at some stage, probably with professional help. But in the meantime I'm just trying to make sure he gets enough exercise. There is a green opposite my house. It's about 1.75 acres. I've been taking him out there everyday for the past week or so. For about 40 minutes. I bring a ball, and run the legs off him playing catch or chase. He also goes snooping in the bushes, etc. The only problem here is that I have to keep him on a 10 metre leash, but other than that it's good sport. I also play about with him in the garden for about 30 minutes. Tug-of-war, etc. So that's his routine most days. And we'll still be going for a run outside of town 2-3 days a week. I'm just wondering if this is enough? Ultimately I'd like to get him walking properly, but I honestly feel it's at the stage where I need to look for a dog behaviourist. But things are extremely tight with money at the moment, and I don't think I'd manage it before Christmas. Would this routine be okay for a few months?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Stop dead everytime he pulls the leash. Don't go again until he sits for you. It'll drive you nuts for a while but if you keep consistent he'll start to play along. Also, once he walks beside you, lots of praise, maybe a quick treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Should be something here that will help.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/taxonomy/term/127

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I've always had great success with the halti collar. Once you have him walking next to you, get his attention, talk to him, get him to sit etc, give him small, minuscule treats at first. He'll soon get the message and once he starts focussing on you, you can start some serious training. Spend about 10 mins on each walk on getting him to listen and follow your command, but keep it light hearted till he understands. He's still young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I'm having huge trouble walking my 1 year old Staff-cross. He's constantly pulling on the lead. I've tried a couple of different methods with him, but he doesn't seem to have learned anything from it. This has been going on for months at this stage. I had a bit of success with a Canny Collar, but as soon as I tried him without it he was back to his old self. Exercising him has been okay during the summer because I've been off during the day, and I took him for regular runs on a huge common area outside of town. But I'm back to college now, and with the evenings closing in I won't be able to take him there every day.

Anyway, I know I'll have to sort out the pulling issue at some stage, probably with professional help. But in the meantime I'm just trying to make sure he gets enough exercise. There is a green opposite my house. It's about 1.75 acres. I've been taking him out there everyday for the past week or so. For about 40 minutes. I bring a ball, and run the legs off him playing catch or chase. He also goes snooping in the bushes, etc. The only problem here is that I have to keep him on a 10 metre leash, but other than that it's good sport. I also play about with him in the garden for about 30 minutes. Tug-of-war, etc. So that's his routine most days. And we'll still be going for a run outside of town 2-3 days a week. I'm just wondering if this is enough? Ultimately I'd like to get him walking properly, but I honestly feel it's at the stage where I need to look for a dog behaviourist. But things are extremely tight with money at the moment, and I don't think I'd manage it before Christmas. Would this routine be okay for a few months?

Why can you not walk him instead of playing with him? Not saying playing with him is bad, but walking him for the 30 minutes, even just around streets, instead of playing in the garden would probably be more beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

muddypaws wrote: »
    Why can you not walk him instead of playing with him? Not saying playing with him is bad, but walking him for the 30 minutes, even just around streets, instead of playing in the garden would probably be more beneficial.

Because I've already spent about 5 months doing it, and it hasn't worked. The dog is choking himself on his lead, and I have near constant back and shoulder pain when I walk him with any regularity. I have read and watched countless articles and videos. So I know the techniques. It's my understanding that certain dogs, for whatever reason, are extremely resistant to training. I think I have one of those dogs, that's why I feel like I need professional help. The dog was abandoned at 4 months. I suspect it was because of how troublesome he was. He's getting more manageable in the day to day, but generally speaking he's been a disaster since day one. In truth he probably needs someone much more experienced than me, but I've grown to love the little ****er and I don't want to let him go. For his benefit, and for my patience, I need help. I'm just trying to find the best routine for him until I can afford that help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well where are you based OP and somebody might be able to recommend a class? I did a heel work (no pulling) class with my dog (at DTI) and found it really good but you have to put the time in practicing the exercises again and again..and again! It's frustrating at first and repetitive because you feel like you're not getting anywhere but once the training all comes together you'll both enjoy your walks much more. I use a front attach harness and find it brilliant but if the dog is a puller they'll pull on anything until you learn how to teach them not to!

tk123 wrote: »
    Well where are you based OP and somebody might be able to recommend a class? I did a heel work (no pulling) class with my dog (at DTI) and found it really good but you have to put the time in practicing the exercises again and again..and again! It's frustrating at first and repetitive because you feel like you're not getting anywhere but once the training all comes together you'll both enjoy your walks much more. I use a front attach harness and find it brilliant but if the dog is a puller they'll pull on anything until you learn how to teach them not to!

I'm based in the Midlands. I have the number of a dog behaviourist in my area that does one-to-one classes. So that seems like a good option. I just need to get some money together (I'm seriously broke at the moment).

He's still somewhat manageable when he's wearing a Canny Collar. But he's outgrown his current one. So of course I could buy another one and get in some exercise that way. But to be honest it's not enjoyable. But if it's what he needs then that's what I'll do. I was just wondering how our current routine sounded to people, because at the moment it's the only stress and pain-free option (for both of us!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

it doesn't cure pulling, but have you considered a waist belt, with a bungee lead and a harness for him? Then he can pull without choking himself, or pulling your arms out of your sockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

muddypaws wrote: »
    it doesn't cure pulling, but have you considered a waist belt, with a bungee lead and a harness for him? Then he can pull without choking himself, or pulling your arms out of your sockets.

And I'd try a front attach harness so when he can't get as much forward motion as with a standard harness, he'll end up turning back on himself.

http://www.friendsoffido.co.uk/easy-walk-harness-c60.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP I know what your are saying - having a dog that PULLS and CHOKES himself is such a pain. (I have one, but at 15 yrs old now, he's finally stopped pulling!) I would definately agree with the poster who mentioned the front attach harness - it really does help - forces them back on themselves when they pull. My really stupid(!) dog (also a puller) 'got' it on the first walk!

Your current daily routine of excercise - playing/ball throwing/romping around the big green/going for a run, all sounds really good, and sounds like he is getting enough exercise if you can keep that up.

I have no idea how much a behaviourist would cost, but if you're broke, you're broke! Keep on going with him - sounds like you/he are doing ok - hey if you love the dog you're 3/4 of the way there :) good luck!

Photo? How old is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

I've the same issue with my rescue...what works for us is to wrap the lead around his chest so he's walking next to me...saw it online awhile back,it costs nothing & works for us :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

And I'd try a front attach harness so when he can't get as much forward motion as with a standard harness, he'll end up turning back on himself.

http://www.friendsoffido.co.uk/easy-walk-harness-c60.html

+1, particularly for this brand of front-attachment harness, the Easy Walk Harness. It is particularly suitable for Staffies and other wide-chested dogs because the chest-strap gives room for manoeuvre, unlike the other brands of front-connection harnesses.
    If it doesn't stop him pulling altogether (and it does in most dogs), it'll make you feel like you've a lot more control, allowing you to implement the training that you're having trouble with right now. Even if it works, you still need to teach him to enjoy being beside you. But this has got to be tried, it'll be a lot cheaper than employing a behaviourist (though this is not a behaviour problem: it's a training issue). It is vital to adjust and fit the hanress as per the manufacturer's recommendations: there's a nice video on it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxfMiC-B6tk

In any case, a harness is far more appropriate for any dog, especially the big-shouldered breeds, and short-nosed breeds. A huge amount of dogs (it has been anecdotally estimated at 90%) of dogs die with some damage to their neck or trachea due to a lifetime of wearing a collar as the control point for the lead. Switching to a harness reduces/eliminates this damage. In some dogs, this damage is significant, and can seriously exacerbate respiratory troubles that some dogs/breeds tend to be prone to as they get older.
    It sounds like you've a great relationship with your dog OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

OP you're basically describing my staffie! she's a nightmare on lead, added to a huge prey drive. ive gone thru a lot of neck and shoulder pain because of it. you can try all the training and positive reinforcement that you like but some staffies (and Xs) are just plain nuts.

i got my one into atheltics and weight pulling as well as running her for 30 minutes each day on the treadmill and the change is huge. my girlfriend is even able to walk her now.

you should look into it if your free time allows you to do it. you can google 'ireland's pit bull terrier association'.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

Ah yes, pulling on lead, one of the most frustrating of dog behaviours if you have an entrenched pulling on lead issue with your dog.
    i'm all for head collars and front attachment harness as they provide you with some 'power steering' and have saved the sanity of most dog owners out there but the trouble however if you have not trained your dog to walk on a slack lead in conjuction with this management option, your dog will default to pulling/straining on lead once the management option is removed.

The inherent difficulty of teaching and maintaining loose lead walking is
    1- Heightened competiton outside- therefore you have to compete with the attraction of your dog wanting to move forward to investigate 'new stuff' when outside your house.
    2- availability of other reinforcers- access to dog smells/dogs /people, moving forward as a reward to access 'new interesting stuff' or to get to where you dog finds particularly reinforcing - park/ being let offf lead etc.
    3-pulling as self-reinforcing- see it pays to pull for most dogs. The lead becomes tight and we move forward. it works for them so they continue to do so.
    4- inconsistency- sometimes we adhere to the training sometimes we slack off and therefore the behaviour stays alive( intermittent reinforcement scheulde)if pulling never worked, they would never pull, dogs are not sentimental about behaviours that never work for them.

Pick your battles wisely is my advice, decide on lowering the bar when it comes to criteria setting.
    Loose lead walking( as oppsosed to heeling which can be shaped later) maybe work towards 10 full minutes of quality jangley/loose lead walking on a 6 foot lead as opposed to 40 minutes frustration of stop /start on a 4 foot lead. set yourself and your dog up for success and acheiveable goal when starting out.
    Incorporate the use of a clicker to help commuicate to your dog precisely the reason he has either earned a treat for walking next to you or maintaining intermittent eye contact or if food is not his number 1 motivation then forward movement is the reward for a slack lead.
    Note: if your dog is not interested in food then , don't feed him a meal before his 'training' walk and up the value( slivers of lunchment instead of biscuit treats/dry kibble ) and increase the rate of reinforcement ( pay your dog with a tiny piece of food for every 5 steps of loose lead walking to start with until your dog is riveted on you then gradually withhold food and have your dog do 'more work for less money'. this mean slonger stretches of loose lead walking and occcasional eye contact (prompted or otherwise offered by your dog)the clicker is a gret tool so use it wisely.

Penalty yardage for a taut lead( use a NRM perhaps) a no reward marker such as 'oopps' if he hits the end of the lead and then provide the penalty- reversing backwards about 8 feet until he covers the same stretch of path on a slack lead. forward progress is contingent on keeping the lead slack, that's how we roll!!!
    would love to know how you progress so keep us all posted.
    Plus, if you can demonstrate on video of your dog walking 1km on a slack lead in a weeks time, i'll give you 1000euro( only kidding sorry) sure if you crack this issue then imagine the reward of having another 12 + years of carefree walking with your lovely Staff. May the force be with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You might need to lower the bar, OP and start over. Have you tried practising at home in the garden, after you've had some playtime together and the dog is relaxed? Trying to teach loose-lead walking while actually out on a walk is just frustrating because there are multiple distractions and the dog is keyed up about their walkies!

Thanks everyone for all the tips, advice and support. Much appreciated!
    aonb wrote: »
    How old is he?

I'm a bit short on his exact info, but he was roughly 4 months old when we got him. So that would put him at about 13 months.
    aonb wrote: »
    Photo?

9699335671_e96a6505b6.jpg

This is Harley. I'd say he's the result of a few different breeds, including a Staff, a Jack Russell and god knows what else.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MeMeJK1

I can only agree with the other posters that mentioned the Easy Walk Harness. They work wonders and I can highly recommend it. Give it a try, it will make your walks so much easier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QEM9zl4ngs

Advertisement