Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year graduate visa New York!

Options
  • 04-09-2013 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey!:)

In the middle of getting the 1 year graduate visa through USIT. Heading to New York the end of December on my own. Is anyone else heading to New York end of 2013/start of 2014? Was wondering does anyone have any information about accomodation and jobs? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LizS25

Hey!

I'm thinking of heading to New York next Jan/Feb! Will USIT help you with finding a job or place to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 NiamhC007

USIT have already sent me on a jobs database with jobs in different parts of the US where you can upload your resume and apply for jobs. As for accomodation I think you just find it yourself...but they do give ya useful websites to look up accomodation on.

Sounds good anyway! When are you heading off and what sort of job are you looking for?

I'm heading off at the end of December...Looking for something in the environmental sector. What are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

What do they consider graduate?

I'm 26 years old, just finished accounting qualification (finished university 3 years ago).

• Advertisement

I'm looking for jobs mainly in banking/financial services area! I hope its easier to find a job there than it is here anyway! Do you know if there's any1 USIT put you in contact with in America in case you need help getting settled in?

Joziburg, you have to be in the US within 1 year of graduation!

There seems to be a good few jobs in the financial sector anyways :) To be honest, I'm not too sure!! I haven't ever done a j1 before so I'm new to all this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Caoimheod

Hey!
    I'm planning on going over the end of December aswell for a year :)

I was there on a summer J1 this year, it's amazing!

What date are you going over? Accommodation is hard to find, the brooker fees are really expensive, the best option is to go on craigslist and look for sharing accommodation.

I was over there on a holiday last Easter and i loved it! I'm heading over the 29th :) Have a skype interview for an internship in a few weeks! When u heading over?

I'm not sure yet! I'm hoping to move over the very end of December but I have nothing booked yet! I'm going to wait about 2 more weeks then decide if ill go or not... I probably will though! Absolutely love it there :)

I'll definitely let you know because I'd be going over on my own as well :)

• Advertisement

Ya definitely let me know!

I'm just paying off the last of my visa early next week so hopefully then will have everything sorted in no time!
    Actually haven't a notion about anything in New York- but sure it'll be an adventure if anything!:)

Oh yea you'll love it! It's an incredible city to live in! :) PM me your Facebook there and we can keep in contact that way if you want?

I'm just waiting to hear about a job in Ireland in the next 2 weeks and if I don't get that I'll be going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elaineh90

Hi there, I will be going over at the end of decemeber also! on my own too! i did physiotherapy so will be looking for something in that area. Would be great to get in touch with a few others who are heading over

elaineh90 wrote: »
    Hi there, I will be going over at the end of decemeber also! on my own too! i did physiotherapy so will be looking for something in that area. Would be great to get in touch with a few others who are heading over

Cool! What date you heading over? I'm off December 29th! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elaineh90

NiamhC007 wrote: »
    Cool! What date you heading over? I'm off December 29th! :)

I haven't booked yet but was thinking the 30th! Bit worried about getting acc etc but should be all ok!:) I'll pm my Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 7 otter1988

Hi all,

I am heading to New York next month on the year graduate visa. If anyone else is going in next couple of months give me a shout and we could maybe look at having a chat about sharing accommodation or whatever else. I have no work lined up as of yet but will just apply hard when I get over there and couple of weeks before I leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kateh

Hey guys :-D

I'm heading over on the 31st of december...have nothing lined up yet!! Spent the summer in NY so have a fair idea of whats in store...the accommodation will be the hardest thing! If anyone is interested in sharing PM me and maybe we could get a facebook group going...easier 2 stay in contact than with this! Accommodation is pretty expensive and broker fees are crazy so getting a together would be a good idea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kcampbell116

Hey Everybody,

I moved to New York on my own two days ago, would be great to get in touch or meet up with you guys that are coming over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 petercurran1990

if anyone is interested, i arrived in new york on monday 11th november. i have a one year graduate visa with usit, looking to secure an paid internship related to accountancy, finance, banking. at the minute im living with my aunt out in queens but will be moving out to shared accommodation when i find a job. im not having much luck since i got here, just been looking on different websites, but havent really seen anything jumping out at me. has anyone got any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

A lot of companies hire less at this time of year due all the holidays that come up between now and December (thanksgiving, Hannukkah, christmas etc). Also - there tend to be more internships either at the end of summer or in April (Which is when my company advertises).

Look at each Bank/accounting firms website directly and you may have more luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭canadabound1

Hey Everybody,

I moved to New York on my own two days ago, would be great to get in touch or meet up with you guys that are coming over.

I came on my own as well but living with relations for the moment in new jersey. I am hoping to get work in new york. How are you finding new york?

New York's grand, its just so big so takes a while to get used to! Still dont know all the places around me yet

New York's grand, its just so big so takes a while to get used to! Still dont know all the places around me yet

Ye, its big. I go into new york at least once a week.r u still looking for work?

Nah, I was lucky I came over with a job already! You have any luck? What sort of job are ya looking for?

Nah, I was lucky I came over with a job already! You have any luck? What sort of job are ya looking for?

i did have a job lined up but it fell through. still looking for work at the minute in renewable/green energy and civil engineering. thats brillant that you had a job before you came, whats the job you have? how are you getting on with the job

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

looking to secure an paid internship related to accountancy, finance, banking. at the minute i im not having much luck since i got here, just been looking on different websites, but havent really seen anything jumping out at me. has anyone got any suggestions?

Your going to find it impossible, I'm here since September and I only got a finance position last week in a construction company and I had good bit accounting work experience before coming out, the only reason I got the job was because one of my friends works for the company.

Hey Everybody,

I go into the new york most weekends. If u want to meet up let me know

i did have a job lined up but it fell through. still looking for work at the minute in renewable/green energy and civil engineering. thats brillant that you had a job before you came, whats the job you have? how are you getting on with the job

Came over with PwC for a job in their auditing department! Job is ok, totally thrown in at the deepend with it so its taken some getting use to.

Anyone else move over on their own? How ye finding it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

I did Niamh last September, It was hard at first but once settled in and got to know people it was the finest. Getting a job was hardest thing for me really, it took awhile..haha, how do you find it.?

Advertisement