Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA tickets

• 04-09-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking at booking a flight to the US to take in an NBA game and work a holiday around it.

Aer Lingus have a US flight sale on at the moment but you've to book before Sept 11 but it looks like NBA single game tickets don't go on sale until October.

So.... If I booked the flight, is it a big risk or would I get a ticket online easily enough when they go on sale in October?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hey,

I'm looking at booking a flight to the US to take in an NBA game and work a holiday around it.

Aer Lingus have a US flight sale on at the moment but you've to book before Sept 11 but it looks like NBA single game tickets don't go on sale until October.

So.... If I booked the flight, is it a big risk or would I get a ticket online easily enough when they go on sale in October?

Thanks!

You'll get a ticket no problem - if you're willing to pay for it. And by pay I mean over the odds in most cases.

If you're staying at a hotel that has a concierge, they'll get you one/two no problem but again over the odds as you're effectively paying 2 middlemen.

If you can, but individual game tickets the day they become available of you have your travel dates sorted. There will go in minutes, ESP if it's around opening night, Thanksgiving, any holidays or depending on who's playing. Most teams price per game so the more attractive the opposition the more expensive to see them!

Stubhub.com will always have tickets but again, above face value.

In bigger cities and arenas you can get lucky just walking up and around the stadium asking people have they spares which you'll likely get at face value. But you are of course risking not getting in at all if you go down this route.

With all of the above it depends on a few things....like city, teams, timing etc. For example, it'll be much easier to get a ticket to say Cleveland v Suns mid in early December than virtually any game involving Chicago, Miami or OKC.

Out of interest, where are you going? If NY you have 2 teams = double your chances of seeing a game, but be warned Brooklyn tickets are megabuck s for a half decent seat (I paid $400 each for not great seats last Thanksgiving). Forget about going to a Knicks v Brooklyn game though unless you win the lotto or like sitting in row 1,000, seat ZZ.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

Thanks for all that info!

Thinking of going to the Bulls v Heat in the United Center!

Thanks for all that info!

Thinking of going to the Bulls v Heat in the United Center!

Had a strange feeling you might say that game actually! Be prepared for a minor heart attack when you see the prices.

One thing I will say to you is this though - view it as a once in a lifetime experience (unless you plan to do this regularly). If you buy cheap seats you see sod all and will probably regret not shelling out more for better seats. Pay as much as you can afford for the best possible seats and just enjoy it. I'd try and buy in advance for a game like that as you will get fleeced outside the stadium for a profile game such as this one.

And only buy a ticket between the baskets if you can to get the best view. It's not the same thing watching a game from behind the basket at all and tickets are pretty much the same price. Check the stadium seating plan online before you buy.

Do:
    1. get a picture of yourself with the Jordan statue outside the building. I'm amazed at how many people forget this! And the window with the championship trophies inside the stadium.
    2. wrap up, Chi Town is freeeeeezing. Even the couple of hours a game takes sees a noticeable drop in temperature. You'll feel it as you queue for an hour to get a taxi back into town!
    3. do the Bulls gift shop before the game or at half time, do not wait until after the game as it's crazy busy
    4. Eat before the game as it's 2 and a half hours between stoppages etc. and the food in the stadium is crap and expensive - think overpriced bad hot dogs, burgers etc. $10 a beer if you want one! Small bottles too, which they pour into plastic cup for you

Pretty jealous dude. Since I changed jobs I'm no longer in the US regularly = no live NBA for me this year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Keep your eyes peeled for CM Punk as well when you're there, and Billy Corgan!

Keep your eyes peeled for CM Punk as well when you're there, and Billy Corgan!

I'm much more interested in the cheerleaders myself to be honest! ;) Went to a Blackhawks game in November 2011 when the NBA was on lock-out. Very nice laydeez. Very nice indeed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭techdiver

I got tickets this year for the LA Clippers off the NBA Ticket Resale portal through Ticketmaster - http://www.ticketmaster.com/nba

Some good deals can be got from season ticket holders etc not going to games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I got floor tickets very easily for the Nets vs the Knicks (last pre-season) in the Nassau Coliseum on ticketmaster.com. I won't go back to the U.S again without trying to take in an NBA game in future. Great experience....enjoy!

v3ttel wrote: »
    I got floor tickets very easily for the Nets vs the Knicks (last pre-season) in the Nassau Coliseum on ticketmaster.com. I won't go back to the U.S again without trying to take in an NBA game in future. Great experience....enjoy!

Big difference in preseason ticket availability and regular but yeah, anyone who has any interest in hoops should try and see an NBA game it he flesh at least once in their lives, if they can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Great experience at the Knicks a few years ago. Got the tickets on Craigslist. 100 dollars per ticket but were very good seats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Big difference in preseason ticket availability and regular

Yep, especially the Bulls vs the Heat, I'd say. I can just imagine the prices you'd have to pay.

• Advertisement

So how much do you reckon a ticket between the baskets would cost? 200 to 300 dollars max?

So how much do you reckon a ticket between the baskets would cost? 200 to 300 dollars max?

Depends on how far back you go. You SHOULD get ok tickets for that price. You could even get lucky and get good ones. It all depends on the demand for the game. Court side are usually several thousand $ per seat, so use that as your barometer and work back.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Hoping to get tickets for Nets v Bulls on Christmas Day in Barclays Center as in NY for Christmas. Nets Website says they go on sale 16 September, but doesn't say a time. Would it be midnight or 9am Eastern? I'm guessing I'll have to pay big for the privilege....

Got my ticket today in the presale!!!! Happy out now because I didn't think I'd get one so easy. Pricey enough at $338 dollars but I was prepared to pay more than that if I had to outside the venue if I couldn't get one.

I'm at the level just behind courtside too. Not in the centre but down in the corner so not behind the basket and as bball court is so small I'm sure I'll have a great view from that section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Got my ticket today in the presale!!!! Happy out now because I didn't think I'd get one so easy. Pricey enough at $338 dollars but I was prepared to pay more than that if I had to outside the venue if I couldn't get one.

I'm at the level just behind courtside too. Not in the centre but down in the corner so not behind the basket and as bball court is so small I'm sure I'll have a great view from that section.

Jealously doesn't even begin to describe how I feel reading that post. :pac:

Enjoy it man!

Thanks!

Advertisement