Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting paid for BERs

• 04-09-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭

I've been working as a BER assessor for a number of years now and have got my fingers burned a few times regarding not getting paid. So for the past year or so I now request payment prior to release / on release of the cert. What is frustrating is that many clients appear to take this as a personal slight, I.e. That you think they won't pay and get huffy about it. stating this when giving them a quote does not feel like your getting off to a good start, especially when the client is pricing around and ultimately could jeopardise winning the job. But what can you do? Generally, normal home owners are fine, its more the likes of builders, auctioneers etc. That expect credit from my experience. if I got my house painted I would pay the painter straight away when the jobs done.

with repeat clients, I tend to take payment when it comes as I know they are good for it.

Rant over. I would be interested in other assessors views and practices and possible customer views. thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

As a house owner I was asked for fill payment prior to final cert release although I did get a draft with advice prior to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That's life unfortunately.

I tend to do very little work for builders to be honest. Did a job for one in january and was left short €2500 from a €4000 job.

Another caught me for €750 and i'm constantly ringing another at present for payment of €1000 for a job.

Private home owners or self builders tend to be great - some builders seem to think it's a pain to have to pay anyone.

I got a BER done on my house (up for sale) a few months back. I rang the assessor the day before to confirm he would turn up and to confirm the price. I told him i might not be home in time to pay him and that i would leave the money on the kitchen table for him regardless....you do your job, you expect to get paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭blacktea

mfceiling wrote: »

I tend to do very little work for builders to be honest. Did a job for one in january and was left short €2500 from a €4000 job.

Another caught me for €750 and i'm constantly ringing another at present for payment of €1000 for a job.

Private home owners or self builders tend to be great - some builders seem to think it's a pain to have to pay anyone.

I got a BER done on my house (up for sale) a few months back. I rang the assessor the day before to confirm he would turn up and to confirm the price. I told him i might not be home in time to pay him and that i would leave the money on the kitchen table for him regardless....you do your job, you expect to get paid.

yeah, that sounds familiar alright. The normal Joe soap home owner etc. stumps up no problem, usually doesn't let you down with payment. its the big shot builders or the guys that you expect to easily have the money, that don't pay or delay badly. some bigger payment jobs I am now looking for part payment up front but unfortunately its not all black and white. Have a good gut instinct as to who may cause problems paying now which helps. As you say, that's life unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

mfceiling wrote: »

I have also found feeding subbies cakes makes them work better ;) mfceiling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭blacktea

fclauson wrote: »

tea and cakes along with getting paid :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think the key is to communicate early that you are going to release the cert on payment as part of the terms and conditions. Then there's no issue with this lack of trust or implication that the customer is dodgy. It simply becomes the way it's done.

If you wait until after the job is done and then suddenly spring this demand for payment upfront then you are saying exactly that you don't trust them to pay which is an insult. Outlining the terms up front and explaining just days is the way you do business before they get involved. No one will be bothered about that except people who will not want to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

fclauson wrote: »

One of the many benefits of working down the country!! Once on the lips - a lifetime on the hips!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I sed to just tell my clients if I was sending out a quote with the terms and conditions to stick the check in it and send it back to me before I came out or to pay me on the survey day. That normally worked for most. I refused to work for Auctioneers when they were demanding % cuts of the fe*k all I was already getting for referrals!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BERmad

I tend to find when doing BERs for private individuals and auctioneers I get paid straight away or within a reasonable time. But if a bank is involved or a certain auction house payment can be dragged out for several months as they will not pay anyone until the sale of the house goes through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I tend to straight swap payment for the cert. Just say it will be issued as soon as payment is recieved, it just has to be done that way otherwise you'll get stung.
    People tend to understand if you want payment before you issue it.
    Solicitors and Auctioneers sometimes want to wait to close a sale before they pay you and sometimes it can fall through, better be safe then sorry imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement