Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

french bulldog puppies

• 04-09-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

hi
    my wife is turning 30 on first of october and as a present i would like to buy her a puppy as a surprise.We both love looks of french bulldogs.problem is that they are so rare and expensive.i know about problems they have delivering puppies(cesarian section needed most of times),but common,3000 euro for puppy???
    anyways my budget is 500-600 max.i was searching online,and only place i could find puppies for sale is donedeal.
    Is donedeal most common place selling dogs?
    what is cheapest way of buying it?

p.s. i am not looking for purebred,only dog that looks like french bulldog(bat ears)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Puppies are like babies - if your GF wouldn't be happy with you handing her a baby for a surprise don't give her a puppy. And I have a 14 week old pup so know what I'm taking about lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Mandzhalas

tk123 wrote: »
    Puppies are like babies - if your GF wouldn't be happy with you handing her a baby for a surprise don't give her a puppy. And I have a 14 week old pup so know what I'm taking about lol!

i am 100% sure she would be happy.she talked to me that we should get frenchie after christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Then go to a proper breeder! Mind you - if you go to one, then I'm afraid E600 won't get you very far. Frenchies are at least 2k. And for really good breeders, there'll be a waiting list.

If you want a 'faux' Frenchie, then check out the pounds and rescues...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

Congrats on the decision to get a puppy - best thing we ever did was to get our frenchie last year. There's a lot more to a frenchie than just their ears though - they have very big personalities for small dogs, this humourous article is horrifically accurate, although i haven't experienced the agression or death yodel, everything else including the bullheaded, farting, lack of loyalty is now our reality.

In answer to your original question, French Bulldogs are not cheap. There is no cheap way to go about getting one. If you see cheap, non-registered frenchies advertised on the like of DD, you have to be asking serious questions about how they are being bred, especially when you see litters advertised regularly from the same area. I am almost afraid to admit it here but we actually did get our frenchie from DD, but he wasn't cheap, it was from someone who owns both his parents, who subsequently had his dad neutered and who i am still in regular contact with - we got lucky, but were also patient and did our research. Please don't rush into this.

You do see 6 month to a year old frenchies occasionally advertised on DD - usually because people don't have time for training/ walking/ entertaining their dog. Firstly you could consider this as an option, but should be patient and there's not that much money to be saved. Secondly, don't become one of these.

I don't think that, starting from scratch, any dog is really cheap, even if you get a rescue puppy, by the time you pay rescue fees, vet trips, licences, insurance (necessary for a frenchie, we already have had to claim), buy a crate, toys, bedding you won't have any change out of the money you are talking about anyway. The question is whether you want to forego an extra couple of weeks wages in order to have this peculiar character living with you.

I haven't mentioned ongoing food, shots, boarding costs which you will occur, it important to have your eyes open before commiting to this. We had a lot of work to do to get the food right. My colleagues think i am mad spending so much of my disposable income on a dog, i think its worth it.

Also just because people say they are a low-energy breed doesn't mean you won't have to walk them every day. You will. Every day, once at least, no exceptions. Its a big time commitment.

Luckily frenchies don't have the market cornered on cuteness, and if it is only bat ears you are after there are other breeds worth exploring. Best of luck. And of course be sure to post pics when you do get a puppy.

4 weeks is imo not enought time to prepare for a puppy. Buy a bed, collar or something like that for now and then you can take your time sourcing a pup that's been raised properly.

The was a FB in our puppy class - they couldn't let him join in for the play sessions because he was so snappy at the other dogs - he was terrified of them so have to wonder what kind of breeder he came from. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Corgis, some Jack Russell Terriers, Boston Terriers, Papillons, Chihuahuas and even some collies have lovely big "bat" ears as you call them. If the ears are all you are after, there is no need to restrict yourself.

However, your attitude from your post is way off what responsible dog owners here on boards would class as "prepared" to take on a commitment like this for the next 18 years.

1. There is not, and should NEVER be, a "cheapest" way to get a puppy. It's sort of like picking up a 13 year old car with no NCT and taking the seller's word that it only needs new tyres - in a few weeks, you'll sincerely regret the purchase, and you'll probably spend twice the price of a decent car getting this pile of scrap fixed anyway. It's no different with a dog. DoneDeal is a minefield with a very biased mix of good and horrific breeders, with the scales of injustice heavily tilted towards horrific.

2. There is also no "quick" way to get a healthy, well-bred puppy from a reputable breeder, as almost all of them will have a waiting list for their next litter. Even if you get put on this list, and the bitch has enough puppies for you to choose one, you will be waiting between 8 and 12 weeks before he or she is ready to take home.

Now, how about you tell us the following, if you are really serious:
    How much time per day will this new addition be left alone?
    How much time per day are you willing to allocate to walking the dog?
    Please be aware no matter how tiny the dog is, a back garden is NOT enough.
    Where will the dog be sleeping - outside or inside?
    Are either of you allergic to dogs?
    Will there be children around the dog?
    Are you aware that the dog will be a permanent addition to your life for at least the next 18 years?
    Do you mind if the dog sheds hair?
    Do you mind if the dog barks loudly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Some of the responses are way ott here, the OP has said they have considered that they both want a dog, i don't think anyone here has any right to be asking (in a very aggressive tone) how long it will be alone, have you considered the next 18 years etc...it's preachy and condescending.

Perhaps the OP has enough to support a dog on an ongoing basis but doesn't have 3k up front, that is perfectly reasonable, it's pretty precious to be telling them that they have to pay top whack, in fact, it's downright snobbish.

OP. If you believe you are ready, go to a pound or a rescue, have a look and see if you can spot a puppy or dog with the features you are after.

4 weeks is plenty of time to prepare for a puppy. You will need to be available to look after it all day long for a few weeks so if you can get leave from work it would be better, or at least make sure one of you is in the house pretty much all the time.

Dog ownership is a big responsibility but we don't need to treat everyone like a flaming idiot just because they don't want to spend 3k on a purebread! It actually is OK to want to pick a dog because you like it's appearance so long as you will look after it properly after.

Don't worry about the high horse brigade OP!

I am pie wrote: »
    go to a pound or a rescue, have a look and see if you can spot a puppy or dog with the features you are after.

A rescue will quiz the OP too and homecheck them to make sure they're suitable but that aside..
    You should chose a dog based on its temperament, energy requirements not just on what it looks like - how many dogs are sitting in pounds because people didn't research the breed and went for looks but didn't allow for energy requirements etc

I can understand the OP falling for the breed though. Although rare, Frenchies are seriously cute! Not seen one as a puppy though.
    Have you thought about a Boston Terrier as well, OP? Check out the IKC and contact the breed clubs. Some of them do offer rescues of the breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

wrote:
    Don't worry about the high horse brigade OP!

There's been zero of above I am Pie, zero, in this thread. The OP has started a thread about a difficult breed to get in Ireland,has been given very good info and has been asked very reasonable questions. Nothing "high horse" about it.
    I am pie wrote: »
    Some of the responses are way ott here, the OP has said they have considered that they both want a dog, i don't think anyone here has any right to be asking (in a very aggressive tone)
    No Mod or other regular posters (who report similar normally) have used aggressive tones. I think you need to read back.

wrote:
    how long it will be alone, have you considered the next 18 years etc...it's preachy and condescending.

There's nothing preachy or condescending about asking this question. The OP is planning on buying a very expensive and hopefully well bred dog and isn't aware that 4 weeks is not enough time to do that in. If they're not aware of that, then further research needs to be done. Too many people make spontaneous decisions about animals and seriously regret it very quickly down the line, without asking themselves these questions.
    wrote:
    Perhaps the OP has enough to support a dog on an ongoing basis but doesn't have 3k up front, that is perfectly reasonable, it's pretty precious to be telling them that they have to pay top whack, in fact, it's downright snobbish.

Ok, now there's something I do agree with you with. €3,000 is completely and utterly crazy money for any dog and I do not agree with any dog being sold for that amount of money. BUT, while this breed looks very very cute, people DO NOT AND CANNOT RESEARCH enough when buying a pedigree dog.Particularly this breed. I looove the look of Frenchies, but I would be literally terrified to own one unless I knew I got it from a good breeder, even then I'd still be terrified.

They can be a minefield of expense and heartbreak when it comes to genetic conditions.Any and every dog can be in fairness.Am I being snobby or condescending?Absolutely no way. You have NO idea the amount of people who take on this type of dog, who don't understand their limitations i.e. basic breathing for one.I won't go into details ( you might think it's being condescending).

Where I work, all day long I see people struggling with the fact their cute puppy they've paid a small fortune for has ended up with every genetic condition under the sun that their particular breed was prone to. Did they research their breeder? Nope. Did the the parents or puppies have the relevant health checks before buying/breeding? Nope.

They've suddenly been landed with a maaaaaassive veterinary bill to try and correct the issues these badly bred dogs have ended up with, 1-2 years down the line and are in no way prepared for it.

wrote:
    OP. If you believe you are ready, go to a pound or a rescue, have a look and see if you can spot a puppy or dog with the features you are after.

I am a BIG advocate of rescuing, but again NO dog comes with a liftetime guarantee. The "features" you have described will probably be the cheapo, clueless breeders who have now bred puppies that not only have the lovely traits of some breeds, but a mix of the worst too. A perfect example was in a thread the other day, when someone said, they saw a dog that looked like a Beagle x Frenchie. A high energy dog...that cannot breathe properly. Brilliant.:rolleyes::o
    wrote:
    Dog ownership is a big responsibility but we don't need to treat everyone like a flaming idiot just because they don't want to spend 3k on a purebread! It actually is OK to want to pick a dog because you like it's appearance so long as you will look after it properly after.

I completely agree that everyone has their own tastes and types, but if you come into this forum and ask for advice, be prepared to be asked questions as well as be given EXCELLENT advice at the same time.

The OP is doing a good thing by asking for advice. They mightn't like what they want to hear....but that's life.:p

If you spend €3 or €3,000 on an animal, everyone on here will support you with the best advice possible as long as you're willing to listen to it and take the criticism and feedback that comes with it. ;)

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Corgis, some Jack Russell Terriers, Boston Terriers, Papillons, Chihuahuas and even some collies have lovely big "bat" ears as you call them. If the ears are all you are after, there is no need to restrict yourself.

However, your attitude from your post is way off what responsible dog owners here on boards would class as "prepared" to take on a commitment like this for the next 18 years.

1. There is not, and should NEVER be, a "cheapest" way to get a puppy. It's sort of like picking up a 13 year old car with no NCT and taking the seller's word that it only needs new tyres - in a few weeks, you'll sincerely regret the purchase, and you'll probably spend twice the price of a decent car getting this pile of scrap fixed anyway. It's no different with a dog. DoneDeal is a minefield with a very biased mix of good and horrific breeders, with the scales of injustice heavily tilted towards horrific.

2. There is also no "quick" way to get a healthy, well-bred puppy from a reputable breeder, as almost all of them will have a waiting list for their next litter. Even if you get put on this list, and the bitch has enough puppies for you to choose one, you will be waiting between 8 and 12 weeks before he or she is ready to take home.

Now, how about you tell us the following, if you are really serious:
    How much time per day will this new addition be left alone?
    How much time per day are you willing to allocate to walking the dog?
    Please be aware no matter how tiny the dog is, a back garden is NOT enough.
    Where will the dog be sleeping - outside or inside?
    Are either of you allergic to dogs?
    Will there be children around the dog?
    Are you aware that the dog will be a permanent addition to your life for at least the next 18 years?
    Do you mind if the dog sheds hair?
    Do you mind if the dog barks loudly?

dog will be left alone for 2 hours on saturdays(shopping)
    15 min walk daily
    sleeping indoors
    there will be my 5 year old daughter around
    i am aware that dog will be part of my life until he dies
    i do mind that dog sheds,but its the part of the game

I can understand the OP falling for the breed though. Although rare, Frenchies are seriously cute! Not seen one as a puppy though.
    Have you thought about a Boston Terrier as well, OP? Check out the IKC and contact the breed clubs. Some of them do offer rescues of the breed.

boston terriers are HYPER active

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    boston terriers are HYPER active

That's OK. The dog and your five year old can tire each other out! Peace all round!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    dog will be left alone for 2 hours on saturdays(shopping)
    15 min walk daily
    sleeping indoors
    there will be my 5 year old daughter around
    i am aware that dog will be part of my life until he dies
    i do mind that dog sheds,but its the part of the game

A dog will probably need at least 2 fifteen minute walks daily when he or she is a little older, just to let you know :o

Advertisement