Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

compulsory donations?

• 04-09-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭

There is a community based project happening in my locality with a number of clubs and organisations involved in the fundraising process for this development. Last year in order for a child to join one of the associated clubs they asked for a one off compulsory donation of x amount.

However this year the same thing has happened. Despite it being declared a once off. Can someone please direct me to the legality on this or where I might find the legislation?

It is listed as a charity as it is a community project, however to exclude individuals joining this year having paid their once off donation seems wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I doubt that there is legislation that covers what you are asking.

If club rules are in place, they may be a good place to start. I suppose that you would have to ask the club secretary for a copy, and look up the rules concerning annual subscription fees and/or donations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, membership of a club depends on the rules set down by that club and in most cases they need a subscription to cover public liability insurance in order to indemnify the members of the committee from personal liability.

There is another issue that you raised which is about fund raising and how that seems to be confined to a number of local clubs. I seriously doubt that the 'community project' that you talk about will refuse donations raised by individuals or ad hoc local groups so I fail to see why there is a problem here - can't the people who feel excluded from those clubs just organise themselves, go out and raise the money and pass it on to the community project?

They can always adopt the Groucho Marx philosophy - 'I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭pipkin12

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, membership of a club depends on the rules set down by that club and in most cases they need a subscription to cover public liability insurance in order to indemnify the members of the committee from personal liability.

There is another issue that you raised which is about fund raising and how that seems to be confined to a number of local clubs. I seriously doubt that the 'community project' that you talk about will refuse donations raised by individuals or ad hoc local groups so I fail to see why there is a problem here - can't the people who feel excluded from those clubs just organise themselves, go out and raise the money and pass it on to the community project?

They can always adopt the Groucho Marx philosophy - 'I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!'

You see the problem is this 100 euro is in addition to the normal joining fee which covers insurance and activities, I don't understand how thwy can ask for this a second time in addition to your joining fee....
    I love Groucho Marx philosophy... Luckily it isn't me joining the club in question haha

Advertisement