Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open House 2013

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Piriz wrote: »
    went to Central Bank this morning (lottery)... interesting building...went into the lobby, the third and seventh floor...the third floor is fairly open plan entirely surrounded by glass walls with great views, however the views from Patrick Honohan's office were spectacular over looking the north and west of Dublin from the seventh floor... also they gave everyone a briquette of shredded money...apparently its about E20,000...its cool!

I was there too.

Very good tour indeed , my briquette is sitting on my desk .

Interesting building .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just as an FYI, Open House 2014 will be on 17th - 19th October next: http://openhousedublin.com/

I think the lotteries have already been done - am going to Central Bank with a friend as her plus one - but most of them you can just turn up to. Liberty Hall is back on the list by the way and if the weather is clear, it is well worth it for the view from the top :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

miamee wrote: »
    Just as an FYI, Open House 2014 will be on 17th - 19th October next: http://openhousedublin.com/

I think the lotteries have already been done - am going to Central Bank with a friend as her plus one - but most of them you can just turn up to. Liberty Hall is back on the list by the way and if the weather is clear, it is well worth it for the view from the top :)

Guess this means I didn't get a place then. I tried for the bank too. Might check out Liberty Hall if the views are good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I guess not, she just got the email confirming the two spots this morning.

I got to a good few things on Saturday at this. Well, I think 4 :D

Richmond Hospital - more to see on the outside than the inside but interesting nevertheless in my opiniion.

Central bank - worth it for the views from the top floor alone.

TCD School of Midwifery - formerly Gas Company, D'Olier St - this was actually one of my favourites, the inside was unexpectedly decadent and unusual with coffin shaped doors and other Egyptian inspired motifs, a mock Tudor building out the back facing onto the now-closed Leinster Way. Beautiful and luckily very quiet too so there were just two of us on the tour :D

Iveagh House - worth the wait (almost an hour I think). An absolutely stunning interior. I had been there as a child so knew it was beautiful but wow. Definitely go if you ever get the chance.

The only thing I planned to see on Sunday was 9/9a Aungier Street but thanks to the ridiculous amount of press it got, the queues were mental so I gave it a miss. It was open 12-3pm yesterday, a friend joined the queue at 11.30am and got inside at 2.50pm :eek: It should have been a lottery tour really...maybe will get to see it next year or some other time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

I posted in this thread last year and I'm back with more...
    This year I finally got to the top of Liberty Hall and got some great photos, on Saturday I went to AirB&B office...was really interesting interior and well thought out..the architect was there to explain the ideas and staff gave other info...seems like a great place to work...
    ON Sat I visited Liberty Hall had to que for over an hour but its was worth it.. , The Convension Centre (fairly boring...left half way through the tour...but glad i got to see the scale of the rooms inside...
    We went to Dublin Port next and were welcomed by some great volunteers...they offered tea and coffee and the tour was brilliant..one lady spoke about the development plan for the port for the next 25 years and we went up to the 5th floor (i think) and seen the board rooms, etc and the views are great...as is the art around the building...
    Finally, we went to the Nest House in North Strand...a simple looking house from the outside but a master redesign of space and features on the inside...a spectacular place to visit...the owner of the house was there talking with visitors... a great Open House... would love to see the Bord Gas Energy Theatre on the list next year...

Advertisement