Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Signings - Playerwatch

Options
  • 04-09-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Thankfully the transfer window is closed and the dust has settled.

Now time to keep an eye on the new boys progress, hopefully they gel nicely. I'd include Holtby in this group as he's only really settling in.

Eriksen interviewed today:

Tottenham new-boy Christian Eriksen says he had no doubts about joining his new club, with White Hart Lane the only destination who "felt right".

The Dane was linked with a host of top European clubs throughout the summer, eventually opting to move to north London, and the 21-year-old has revealed that it was Spurs' ambition that convinced him to leave Ajax for the Premier League outfit.

"There were not that many clubs to choose from in the end and no-one were closer than Tottenham," he told BT. "There were a lot of rumours but I only felt right about the approach from Tottenham. The club followed me for a long time and really showed intent.

"It was the whole package that attracted me. I spoke briefly with the manager and my impression is that he is a very good manager. The goal is to challenge for the title. That is what the club wants and that is what I want."

Eriksen, who will have to wait until after the international break to make his Spurs debut, also noted that he will have to become accustomed to life on the pitch in England.

"I understand this will be a different experience - how much, it is still too early to say," the midfielder observed. "I might need to acclimatise, so I am not expecting to play all the games but, then, I don't know what the manager has planned for me.

"From the conversations I have had, they have indicated that they see me as an attacking midfielder, a creative player. They have also told me that you are expected to fight for a spot on the team because there are a lot of good players here but, of course, I hope things will fall to my advantage."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Some reviews you don't hear:

Last summer, there was reported interest from Barcelona and Milan, and Steaua's controversial owner Gigi Becali commented that he had no doubt that the player would easily walk into any team in the world.

Then came Romania's disastrous 4-3 defeat to Slovenia in a friendly in August, and those words came back to haunt Chiriches.

"He will never make it to Barcelona if he continues to make mistakes like that," fumed former national coach Anghel Iordanescu, while Gheorghe Hagi claimed: "He commits errors in the area where you just can’t do that.":eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Some reviews you don't hear:

Last summer, there was reported interest from Barcelona and Milan, and Steaua's controversial owner Gigi Becali commented that he had no doubt that the player would easily walk into any team in the world.

Then came Romania's disastrous 4-3 defeat to Slovenia in a friendly in August, and those words came back to haunt Chiriches.

"He will never make it to Barcelona if he continues to make mistakes like that," fumed former national coach Anghel Iordanescu, while Gheorghe Hagi claimed: "He commits errors in the area where you just can’t do that.":eek::eek:
    Oh that's just great:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Eriksen nutmegs a two year old and makes him cry..... brilliant. I thought the ball was too big for this to be possible.

http://vimeo.com/45121356

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Eriksen nutmegs a two year old and makes him cry..... brilliant. I thought the ball was too big for this to be possible.

http://vimeo.com/45121356

quality :D

Paulinho
    Paulinho will be lining up against Australia on Saturday, before the side take on Portugal on Wednesday in the second of two friendlies.

Nacer Chadli
    Chadli will be joined by new Spurs team mates Jan Vertonghen and Moussa Dembele, as the country travel to Scotland for Friday night’s match.

Roberto Soldado
    With Chelsea’s Fernando Torres not even included in the Spain squad, Soldado could well play against Finland in a World Cup qualifier on Friday, before the Spanish host Chile in a friendly next Tuesday.

Vlad Chiriches
    Chiriches is likely to start both of Romania’s World Cup qualifiers with Hungary on Friday and then Turkey on Tuesday.

Christian Eriksen
    The Dane should be a key figure in the country’s qualifiers against Malta (Friday) and Armenia (Tueday).

Erik Lamela
    Argentina currently top the South American pool to qualify for Brazil, but with Colombia, Ecuador and Chile quick on their tail, a win against Paraguay on Wednesday is vital.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Good to see so many of our team playing at international level, but lets just hope they get through them with no injuries.

Kiith wrote: »
    Good to see so many of our team playing at international level, but lets just hope they get through them with no injuries.

Dimechelis, City's new centre back (cover for the injured Kompany), is out for 6 weeks with an injury he picked up on international duty. Nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Eriksen scored for Denmark last night http://www.6-eren.dk/vmkval/danmark-vandt-med-hiv-og-sving

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Tidy goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Great site that...puts a lot of effort into analysis that you never get on the mainstream media..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

tidy goal by eriksen..great nutmeg on the CB..

OT but
    the saddest part of that clip of denmark-malta highlights was even malta play more attractive purer than long ball ireland hoofers & they probably should have won this game

Good to hear his family have arrived which should help him settle better. Would love to see him build up a partnership with Soldado. Can most Spanish speakers understand the Portugese speakers i.e. the Brazilians?

"We have been speaking a lot with him and I think getting him acquainted to the Premier League is important because he doesn't know the language," Villas-Boas said.

"Soldado had some knowledge of the language before he arrived here, so it was a little bit easier for him, but it is not so easy for Erik. We have given him massive, massive help and his family arrived this week.

"He knows he isn't producing half of what he can produce, but he understands the situation now is that he has to compete for his place.

"We are patient with him as we appreciate he is a player of huge potential and I will continue to pick the players that are best for the team."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/252535.html#79G9KFCJrMooYZdI.99

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Good to hear his family have arrived which should help him settle better. Would love to see him build up a partnership with Soldado. Can most Spanish speakers understand the Portugese speakers i.e. the Brazilians?

"We have been speaking a lot with him and I think getting him acquainted to the Premier League is important because he doesn't know the language," Villas-Boas said.

"Soldado had some knowledge of the language before he arrived here, so it was a little bit easier for him, but it is not so easy for Erik. We have given him massive, massive help and his family arrived this week.

"He knows he isn't producing half of what he can produce, but he understands the situation now is that he has to compete for his place.

"We are patient with him as we appreciate he is a player of huge potential and I will continue to pick the players that are best for the team."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/252535.html#79G9KFCJrMooYZdI.99

Good stuff, hopefully he settles between now and xmas and we see what he really has during the 2nd half of the season.

Paulinho in the Brazil squad, Sandro not. This boy must have a bag of tricks up his sleeve we haven't seen yet. Probably fair to say he's been our most consistent of the summer signings.

I'd agree with you there,Paulinho is a great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Sandro's not in the Brazil squad? Thank god for that. I'll be selfish and hope he gets overlooked constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

tippspur wrote: »
    I'd agree with you there,Paulinho is a great player.

not so sure he is a great player, he seems a good player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

I think he is class, being poor for a couple of games now but I think that's down to overplaying him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

What exactly does Paulinho do except for miss chances?

I don't think he's worthy of our first team tbh. Looks very ordinary so far. Remember this is a guy who has already been to Europe and not made it. The Polish league no less ! I'm not saying players can't improve but just because someone is a Brazilian internation it doesn't make them good automatically. Anyone remember that Raphael guy Celtic signed a few years ago? precisely.

Sandro is a legend though, we really missed him last year when he got injured.

golfball37 wrote: »
    What exactly does Paulinho do except for miss chances?

I don't think he's worthy of our first team tbh. Looks very ordinary so far. Remember this is a guy who has already been to Europe and not made it. The Polish league no less ! I'm not saying players can't improve but just because someone is a Brazilian internation it doesn't make them good automatically. Anyone remember that Raphael guy Celtic signed a few years ago? precisely.

Sandro is a legend though, we really missed him last year when he got injured.

Give it a rest will ya, he may not have set the league alight but he's probably been the most consistent of our new singings, maybe second to Chiriches.

Have you ever spent a long winter on your own in the Polish town of Lodz? Pretty sure he had three good seasons at Corinthians.

Eriksen carried off with ankle ligament damage in today's friendly, 6wks out.

Oh FFS

Bo**ix :mad:

This could be Lamela's chance to shine ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

tippspur wrote: »
    This could be Lamela's chance to shine ?

Holtby

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Surely it will give more opportunity to lamela at least.

• Advertisement

ERIKSEN INJURY UPDATE

Tottenham have been boosted by the news that the injury to attacking midfielder Christian Eriksen is not as bad as first feared.

The 21-year-old sustained some damage to his ankle during the friendly between Denmark and Norway last Friday.

Spurs had initially feared Eriksen would be out of action for around three months, but an MRI scan has revealed the former Ajax star has a sprain.

A statement from Tottenham on social media read: "After an MRI scan it's been determined that Christian Eriksen suffered a sprain of the lateral ankle ligaments playing for Denmark on Friday.

"Christian's scan showed no sign of ruptured ligaments which will result in a shorter period of recovery for the attacking midfielder."

Advertisement