Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

consequences of setting up sole trader business down the line..

Options
  • 04-09-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi guys,

im on the dole and looking to set up a business (who isnt).

i dont mind signing off and having a go off it for a while, but will that effect me getting back on the dole further down the line?

ive heard that if you start up your own business, it doesnt go well and you close up, that you cant get back on the dole as you were self employed?

any truth in this? or whats the best way to go around this?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Depending how long you have been on you could look at BTWEA (Back To Work Enterprise Allowance). It allows to you setup a business and work for yourself while keeping your payments for 2 years. The first year you get 100% of your payment then its reduced the second year. Thats how it was anyways, it may have changed slightly but its worth having a look at. You have to meet then and do a business plan and a few bits but as long as your idea sounds plausible and something you could make a go of then they usually have no problem letting people do it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_and_work/back_to_work_enterprise_allowance.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

hi guys,

im on the dole and looking to set up a business (who isnt).

i dont mind signing off and having a go off it for a while, but will that effect me getting back on the dole further down the line?

ive heard that if you start up your own business, it doesnt go well and you close up, that you cant get back on the dole as you were self employed?

any truth in this? or whats the best way to go around this?

Another urban myth peddled by the masses. This is simply not true.

Take a thorough read through http://selfemployedsupports.ie/

Then sit down with the dole office, and read what Axwell has just said about BTWEA etc.

Only the dole office can tell you what you are entitled to and how to go about it.

All our circumstances will be different so there are no straight answers.

I know people who are self employed and getting the dole, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 The Quiff

Hi guys. I posted a variation of this post in the State Benefits forum, but I think it applies in this thread too.

Firstly, unlike the OP, I'm NOT looking to set up as a sole-trader.

But I've taken up the offer of a few days work - about 12 to 16 days between now and the end of October/mid-November. And I have to invoice the organisation as a self-employed person, as opposed to being placed on the payroll. That's the way this particular company does things these days.

I was on Jobseekers Allowance, and thought it would be a simple matter of informing my local office that I'd be doing 1 or 2 days a week for 8-10 weeks, getting a simple form filled out (which I did), and being placed on the "X's and O's".

But because I'm being treated as self-employed, I now have to fill out a UP 1 (f) form (Information in relation to self-employment, most of which doesn't apply to my situation), and most likely register as a sole-trader with the revenue commission (which I looked into and seems like a lot of hassle for the sake of the few days short-term work I'm getting).

So, any advice on how I should proceed? Can I choose not to register with the revenue commission, or is this a non-negotiable requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Jakub25

Hello
    I have similar situation 2x small children wife sitting home with them.
    Working part time two days weekly, right now I'm on a Jobseeker Allowance.

Would like start buissnes as a sole trader but didn't get objectify respond
    about one question.

Is it possible to go back on a dole after 2years if my buissnes will not give enought profits?

Back to work Enterprise Allowance is:
    • 100% for the 1st year
    • 75% for the 2nd year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Anyone can get JSA, even self-employed people. Just need to pass the means-test. Some self-employed people don't qualify because they are rich (assets / cash).

• Advertisement
Advertisement