Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Tarp?

Options
  • 04-09-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭

been reading up on Tarps a lot lately so I am going to buy one to try them out. Hope to go camping regularly over the winter, mostly Wicklow and if using a tarp will probably stick to areas with trees. For a first tarp Id prefer it a little bigger even if it will weigh more but hopefully give or take it should be under ~800g and price well under a €100

I havnt done a lot of product comparison but the DD Tarp seems like a reasonable middle of the road one. So if anyone has any other suggestions, I would like to hear them and any tips. (and if any available in Dublin with not too much of a premium)

option 1

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/dd-tarp-basha---3m-x-3m-1542-p.asp
    The DD Tarp is a very popular product for many reasons. It is a great size at 3m x 3m (10' x 10') making it a very useable shelter.

It is ultra light but tough and has 13 attachment points making it really versatile, as you and I know - "That tree is never in the right place!" Not a problem any more as you can simply use a different attachment point....650g (not including pegs)

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Quest-Guide-Waterproof-Lightweight-Silicone/dp/B004RVHBLO/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1378325700&sr=8-21&keywords=tarp

Aqua-Quest 'The Guide' Waterproof & Ultra Lightweight Silicone Sil Tarp - 2 x 3 Medium Green Model

100% Waterproof & Extremely Light Weight. High Quality Craftsmanship. Aqua-Quest Tarps are The Best^40 Denier Nylon Fabric with Dual Silicone & PU Coating. Heat-Taped Seam Construction Guarantees Waterproof Protection^Incredibly Compressible & Compactable Material. Complete with Rugged Stuff-Sack for Quick & Convenient Storage^Reflective Logo for Visibility and Safety. 11 Total Reinforced Grommets & Webbed Loops for Secure Tie-Down Options^Weight: 450 g. Area: 292 X 200 cm. Long Side Grommets: 95 cm from Corner. Wide Side Grommets: 99 cm from Corner. Packed: 30 X 15 X 5 cm.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I manage quite well with a 58pattern poncho, definitely less than €100! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I have one these and it's great

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tarps-bivis-bothies/all-tarps/tarp-shelter-1/

It's a little over budget but weights nothing.. Well almost nothing.

When I bought it in 2010 it was £140 and everything else was impossible to find in stock or rediculously over priced so it looks like the price of tarps in general has come down.

3x3m is huge for 1 person by the way. Tarping in winter in tough enough without having a concert hall of space between you and the tarp :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

sparrowcar wrote: »
    I have one these and it's great

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tarps-bivis-bothies/all-tarps/tarp-shelter-1/

It's a little over budget but weights nothing.. Well almost nothing.

When I bought it in 2010 it was £140 and everything else was impossible to find in stock or rediculously over priced so it looks like the price of tarps in general has come down.

3x3m is huge for 1 person by the way. Tarping in winter in tough enough without having a concert hall of space between you and the tarp :-)

it looks like a great tarp, Im not good at judging the relative sizes but is it big enough to get a ruck sack, boots etc in, do cooking and enough of a gap that rain isn't an issue?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tatonka Tarps, don't have one personally, but they are regarded as a good step up from the DD tarps by many who wild camp.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tatonka+tarp&tag=googiehydra-21&index=aps&hvadid=30937240315&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=428737855669045821&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_o2rl0lz8g_e

For affordability and versatility, you won't go wrong with th 3x3m DD tarp though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Make sure you get a ripstop one, there are plenty of cheap plastic ones out there that fall apart. They also make awful noise in the rain. Mine is a Highlander dpm basha similar to DD, about 2m x 1m , can double as a stretcher etc if needed. You shouldn't be paying more the £50 3x3, anything else is lunacy. It stuffs down to 30 X 12 cm, which sounds big but is nothing when thrown into bag, weight is nothing too, well under 500g.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HIGHLANDER-CAMO-WATERPROOF-BASHA-COVER/dp/B002UOPYQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378394119&sr=8-1&keywords=highlander+basha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Thanks lads, Ill mull it over the weekend, I think I can see myself getting a couple of sizes too see how they work out. I notice one of them was cheeky with delivery prices, the wanted 17£ to deliver to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

silverharp wrote: »
    Thanks lads, Ill mull it over the weekend, I think I can see myself getting a couple of sizes too see how they work out. I notice one of them was cheeky with delivery prices, the wanted 17£ to deliver to Ireland

Try parcel motel might work out a lot cheaper or free (bar the parcel motel fee, though 1st 2 drops are free I think).

Advertisement