Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush hour traffic

• 04-09-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Is rush hour traffic from Corbally to the city centre (Charlotte Quay) really as bad as some people say?!

House dilemma at the moment!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

moleary20 wrote: »
    Is rush hour traffic from Corbally to the city centre (Charlotte Quay) really as bad as some people say?!

House dilemma at the moment!

Yeah it's pretty bad once you hit Grove Island roundabout and St Mary's church.

If you're working on Charlotte Quay, you could easily walk to Charlotte's Quay. It would take no more than 20 mins from most parts of Corbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭moleary20

Yeah it's pretty bad once you hit Grove Island roundabout and St Mary's church.

If you're working on Charlotte Quay, you could easily walk to Charlotte's Quay. It would take no more than 20 mins from most parts of Corbally.

Its Carraig Midhe, Google tells me its about a 40 minute walk, sorry I don't know the area at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Corbally seems to be the only part of town I always find rush hour traffic. No other part of town seems to be even close to as bad as it.

If you live anywhere near grove island you'll make charlottes quay in ten minutes quick walk and 15 to 20 taking it handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I think Carraig Midhe is across from Westbury and I would say 40 mins is about right. You could cycle, good way to get exercise every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Drive to Grove Island, park in their car park and walk from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

phog wrote: »

A lot of the bad traffic would be leading up to the roundabout at grove island and no way around it.

Getting a bike and cycling is a great suggestion as you'd make it in no time.

Jofspring wrote: »
    A lot of the bad traffic would be leading up to the roundabout at grove island and no way around it.

Getting a bike and cycling is a great suggestion as you'd make it in no time.

Turn left at railway bridge, down Park and back over the link road from Musgraves. Not ideal but doable, I think.

Alternatively, turn left when coming out of the estate, up Parteen, in Long Pavement, up thru' Thomondgate and park and walk form there.

God this sounds like driving straight in is really not an option?

Like how long delays are we talking about here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Carraigh Midhe to Charlotte's Quay would take about 15 mins cycling.

You'd get to whizz past all the traffic at St. Munchin's and Scoil Íde as well! :)

And driving would take how long approx??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

What time would you be going in that way in the morning? Does your job have flexi-time? If you start at 9, Why not ask them could you start at 8:30am? That way you could leave at about 8:05 or 8:10am and miss the traffic! I can't imagine that there is much traffic at that time, it would probably start getting busy after 8:15 or 8:20.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

phog wrote: »

You cant park there for free anymore. I believe the owner brought in charges because of people parking their cars and going to work in the city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

tony1980 wrote: »
    What time would you be going in that way in the morning? Does your job have flexi-time? If you start at 9, Why not ask them could you start at 8:30am? That way you could leave at about 8:05 or 8:10am and miss the traffic! I can't imagine that there is much traffic at that time, it would probably start getting busy after 8:15 or 8:20.

This is the relevant point. What times do you need to be in at?

It only gets busy for about 20-30 mins.

best bet is to do the drive yourself some morning and see for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

tony1980 wrote: »

I live in Corbally and leaving before the traffic builds up is the key to getting into the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Used to live there and mates still there. If you can leave a bit early it would be the way to go. Get a small fridge for work and have your breakfast when you get there.

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    You cant park there for free anymore. I believe the owner brought in charges because of people parking their cars and going to work in the city centre

I didn't say it was free, there isn't free parking in the city either (unless provided by the employer) so parking in Grove Island might still be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My aunt used to live on the Mill Road and worked on Charlotte's Quay. Had to leave the house at 8.15 or 8.20 to be safely in for 9!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭air

boomerang wrote: »
    My aunt used to live on the Mill Road and worked on Charlotte's Quay. Had to leave the house at 8.15 or 8.20 to be safely in for 9!

You could easily walk the distance in less than that. In truth there is about a 20 min delay at peak times which is annoying but absolutely insignificant when compared to delays in Galway for example. If more people walked/cycled to work or god forbid allowed their kids to walk/cycle to school there would be zero traffic problems in Limerick, like there was all this summer (& every other summer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Walking and cycling is all good and well when the weather is relatively mild/warm and dry. With a freezing gale in your face and heavy rain or hail coming down on you then walking or cycling is not as appealing. Also people who live further out in the likes of Parteen or Clonlara are hardy going to cycle or walk?

That debate aside the real problem with the Corbally road is that it is the only main way in/out for too many people living out that way. It was down to typical poor planning, in the last 20 years or so the amount of housing estates such as Westbury and the Mill Road that were built out that way just kept increasing while there was no consideration to deal with the extra volume of traffic these suburbs would bring. You also have the likes of Parteen, Clonlara, Ardnacrusha, etc which expanded during the Celtic Tiger also that use this route adding to the congestion.

The simple fact is that there has been a need for a relief or ring road in this area for years but there is fat chance of it happening now that the country has no money.

Advertisement