Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano - Going out of tune.

Options
  • 04-09-2013 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

If I have an upright, mahogany piano against a wall, as such that part [perhaps 30-50 cm] of which is over a radiator, how badly will this effect my pianos tuning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

lots.

well, some anyway.....

strings are metal which expands and contracts a lot due to heat.

we got our acoustic piano on a very cold day and brought it home on a trailer.

after 2 hours freezing outside, we brought itin and it was miles off.

the next day after it reaclimatised?

spot on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IIITrunks

Well, the radiator would be on during the cold days of the winter, the overall room temperature of my room is usually very stable, though during the hot weeks of this summer it was terribly hot.

I'm not sure if there's any way of buffing the heat exposure to the piano, with an insulator or fabric, if anyone knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

If you fill a couple of jam jars with water and place them in the bottom of the piano on the inside, it helps to deal with shifts in temperature. They need to be kept topped up as the water evaporates over time.

Advertisement