Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Potatoes for Christmas"

• 04-09-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭

So I was in town a few weeks ago and got seduced in Mr Mideltons Mary Street (not an unpleasant experience as you will know) by a brown paper bag with a note "Potatoes for Christmas".

Delighted with the absence of the intrusive apostrophe i bought the brown paper bag which contained chitted Maris Pipers and instructions to get them laid ASAP, clear the stalks when they die down, and dig them for Christmas.

So They were planted August bank Holiday weekend, they fairly leapt out of the ground with the summer we're having, and the haulms are now 12" high. Great!

They're in average soil with 10-10-20 added, plus Dithane spray and slug pellets weekly.

I'm worried that the first frosts (possibly this weekend :eek: ) will kill the haulms.

Now I am very keen to have my "potatoes for Christmas" and am looking for any advice that'll give the best possible yield.

They are planted in the open although I could lay dowm some fleece.

Any good advice appreciated!
    Dean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Sounds like you have it all covered. Just fleece them and hope for the best. Once (if) they flower the tubers shold be forming so they will appreciate a feed. A liquid tomato feed would be good.

Advertisement