Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

regulations for electric installations

Options
  • 04-09-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

It could be a thread for the Electrical forum, but since it's more about regulations than technical, I might find the answer here...

Is there any regulations imposing a number of sockets or lights in a new building house ? Without talking about the " practical " side of it, am I within the legislation with only 4 or 5 sockets and lights, for example ?

I've try to look for an answer in the ETCI Wiring Rules, but found only a €97.50 book :mad:

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

bertie 56 wrote: »
    Hello there,

It could be a thread for the Electrical forum, but since it's more about regulations than technical, I might find the answer here...

Is there any regulations imposing a number of sockets or lights in a new building house ? Without talking about the " practical " side of it, am I within the legislation with only 4 or 5 sockets and lights, for example ?

I've try to look for an answer in the ETCI Wiring Rules, but found only a €97.50 book :mad:

Thanks ;)

Come again? In English maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

bertie 56 wrote: »
    It could be a thread for the Electrical forum
    Indeed :)

Thread moved from C & P

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

Is there any regulations imposing a number of sockets or lights in a new building house?

the answer is no.....there is no minimum requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Hi, Bertie.

You can go to the ETCI website under FAQ - Lighting* seeing you do not have the book.

Q: How many points should a final circuit in a domestic premises supply?
    A: This depends whether the circuits are radial or ring final circuits.

For a radial circuit the maximum number of points recommended is 10 per circuit. This applies to either lighting circuits or socket outlets etc. In the case of socket outlets a twin socket outlet would count as one point. For final socket circuits it is recommended that a radial circuit should not serve more than two rooms.

I would not take too much notice of the 10 Points for lighting circuits. That was for the old day's when 100w pendants we all the go, It's probably just a good rule of thumb tho. Now day's with all the low voltage/LEDs downlights and so forth... An Electrician should be able to work out a safe circuit that may exceed 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Hi, Bertie.

You can go to the ETCI website under FAQ - Lighting* seeing you do not have the book.

Q: How many points should a final circuit in a domestic premises supply?
    A: This depends whether the circuits are radial or ring final circuits.

For a radial circuit the maximum number of points recommended is 10 per circuit. This applies to either lighting circuits or socket outlets etc. In the case of socket outlets a twin socket outlet would count as one point. For final socket circuits it is recommended that a radial circuit should not serve more than two rooms.

I would not take too much notice of the 10 Points for lighting circuits. That was for the old day's when 100w pendants we all the go, It's probably just a good rule of thumb tho. Now day's with all the low voltage/LEDs downlights and so forth... An Electrician should be able to work out a safe circuit that may exceed 10.

It was more to do with being practical, than fear of overloading circuits. In the old days, there was a switch and light per room. So having more than 10 part circuit would leave darkness in large areas if a fuse went. IMO they should still be wired with common sense thoughts of layout rather than loading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Very true. I take that that is why there is a two circuit minim for domestic dwelling's to prevent such a thing from happening now day's. Well at least with new homes it is more likely to have a greater number than two.

Often as I can I tend to do a foxer after work, Until October that is anyway..:rolleyes:

Id like to know where the trend of putting single sockets on skirting boards came into effect :mad: Was this a 60/70s thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

Is there any regulations imposing a number of sockets or lights in a new building house?

the answer is no.....there is no minimum requirements

Thanks to everybody for your useful answers.

So, going a little bit further, do you think ESB could refuse to connect a house with only 6 sockets ( no other circuits) ?

Of course, the job is done by a qualified and registered electrician, and with certificate of compliance signed by himself.

Any idea ?

Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Why would anyone put no lights and only 6 sockets in a house and why would anyone move into such a house? I would think having such an inadequate electrical installation would reduce the market value of any such house too.

In answer to your question,they won't care if there's 100 sockets or 1,if it has valid cert and you pay their fee they'll connect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

superg wrote: »

In answer to your question,they won't care if there's 100 sockets or 1,if it has valid cert and you pay their fee they'll connect it.

you may be wrong there
    reci refused to process a completion cert for me because there was insufficient circuits and they said esbn would only treat it as a temporary supply
    i can see their point as they thought someone else(non registered) may complete the installation
    eventually i had to certify a portacabin before they accepted the cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I don't think superg meant 100 sockets on a circuit, but that it wouldnt matter how many sockets there are in a house, on the appropriate number of circuits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Sorry. My point was that I had only installed 4 sockets 2 lights and a spur for alarm panel.
    Esbn wouldn't accept the cert as there were insufficient circuits(according to Reci)
    I therefore had to get a portacabin installed even though it was not required in order to increase the amount if circuits so the cert could be processed.
    The client only really wanted power to alarm and security lights as the installation had been stripped of all electrics by copper thieves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah by 'valid' cert I meant one that has been submitted to the ESB via Reci or Ecssa as they all are. If they are happy with the cert they'll send it on to he ESB and you get connected, however as Meercat says, Reci or Ecssa may prevent it getting that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

one 8 euro halogen external light with a 150 watt bulb wired very close to the consumer unit with a built in PIR on its own 10 Amp MCB might do the trick. possibly the cheapest way to add a circuit, light and switch to the installation.

Advertisement