Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actuary as a career?

Options
  • 05-09-2013 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi Guys, I went to a career guidance counsellor today (very highly regarded one and he was very good) and he said I should have done actuary. I'm currently in college doing something different and was thinking of switching courses. I do like maths, the problem solving in it etc. Didn't do honours in LC, went straight to ordinary level after TY as I didn't think I would need higher level maths and wanted to focus on other subjects (stupid I know!). But I have heard alot of mixed things about this course, money is great seems to be the main thing but that doesn't really encourage me (slightly lol)! Is it a tough career? Is it monotonous? Cheers for any help you can give! Oh yeah if I did want to do this I would prob repeat maths at higher level or do accounting then progress to that but haven't really thought that deep yet!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

As an actuary myself, I would encourage you to sit honours maths as you won't be able to become an actuary without it. If you easily get an A, then you are probably suitable, but a mid B and below, it's probably not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

My brother got an A1 in honours maths and is now head actuary for an insurance company. It took many years and many exams for him to get to where he is now. The salary is excellent but I believe it's quite a stressful, intense job.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I didn't get an A in honours maths, but I did end up with a masters in thphys & maths, and now I'm doing actuary (working full time & doing the exams). Even if you do it in college you will need to do a lot of intense exams after college. It's certainly not monotonous and I love it, but it wouldn't be for everyone particularly with all the studying you need to do - it's not an easy ride like college was
    It's tough all right

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

I am in a similar situation to the OP - have recently been advised that a career change to actuary may be suitable.
    Regarding the exams, I read somewhere that it takes approx 100 hours study for each hour of each exam so with most exams being 3 hours that's 300 hours of study for each exam. How accurate is this?
    I have previously completed a taught masters in engineering and the course syllabus recommended a certain number of hours per subject of self learning yet I'm pretty sure nobody in the class got close to the recommended hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

bluewolf wrote: »
    I didn't get an A in honours maths, but I did end up with a masters in thphys & maths, and now I'm doing actuary (working full time & doing the exams). Even if you do it in college you will need to do a lot of intense exams after college. It's certainly not monotonous and I love it, but it wouldn't be for everyone particularly with all the studying you need to do - it's not an easy ride like college was
    It's tough all right

But you did do honours maths. The OP did pass maths, so won't even be let into an actuary course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

The first step to becoming an actuary is to become a student of the Institute or Faculty of Actuaries. Minimum requirements include grade A1 or A2 in honours mathematics at the leaving certificate, and a pass in at least four other subjects, including English. Alternative qualifications include a minimum of a third-class honours degree with mathematical sciences as a major subject, or a first- or second-class honours degree in any subject, together with at least a grade C at leaving certificate honours level in any mathematical subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 One Life

lukesmom wrote: »
    The first step to becoming an actuary is to become a student of the Institute or Faculty of Actuaries. Minimum requirements include grade A1 or A2 in honours mathematics at the leaving certificate.

This did not seem right to be so I looked up their website.
    The Irish Leaving Certificate in at least five subjects; one of the passes must be in mathematics at Grade A.

You just need to pass Higher Level maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

One Life wrote: »
    This did not seem right to be so I looked up their website.

You just need to pass Higher Level maths.
    one of the passes must be in mathematics at Grade A.

:rolleyes:

Tarzann wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Less of your stupid smileys when I am right. Read it again.
    one of the passes must be in mathematics at Grade A.

"One of the passes" must be in Maths. That clearly states you only need to pass.

Grade A refers to Higher Level.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Unless you are uniquely gifted at maths I think it would be next to impossible to go straight from leaving cert maths to actuarial exams. If you do decide you want to be an actuary your best bet is to sit leaving cert maths at higher level, as this is a requirement for most good maths courses, then complete some sort of maths undergrad. Keep in mind that this is pretty much just the set up towards becoming an actuary and the hardest work will start after your degree. It is a very long road and you would need to be very determined.

On the other hand if you don't like your current course but do enjoy maths, a maths undergrad offers many prospects other than actuary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Less of your stupid smileys when I am right. Read it again.

"One of the passes" must be in Maths. That clearly states you only need to pass.

Grade A refers to Higher Level.

Sorry but pretty sure you're wrong. Never heard "A grade" refer to higher level before. I'd read that quote as 'one of your passes must be an A in maths higher level.

Also if memory serves, you do need an A to go straight from leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Folks, it's pretty clear
    For those who hold a degree:
    • A Third Class Honours degree which includes a pass in mathematical sciences as a major subject; or
    • A First or Second Class Honours degree in any subject, together with at least Grade C at Advanced ('A') level in any mathematical subject or equivalent from another awarding body.
    For those who do not hold a degree the minimum requirements to become a student are:
    • The Irish Leaving Certificate in at least five subjects; one of the passes must be in mathematics at Grade A;

So no degree and an A in higher level maths, a 3rd class degree or better in a mathematical subject or a 1st or 2nd class degree in anything else, plus a C in higher LC maths.

So if you have no degree and no A in higher maths in the LC, you can not become an actuary.

Apologies. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Pythia wrote: »

So if you have no degree and no A in higher maths in the LC, you can not become an actuary.

If you're going to start quoting then make sure to include everything, for example you left out....
    For those who do not hold a degree the minimum requirements to become a student are:
    •An A level in mathematics at Grade B or above together with an A level at Grade C in any other subject; or
    •Three Scottish National Qualifications Authority Higher passes, one of which must be in mathematics at Grade A; or
    •The Irish Leaving Certificate in at least five subjects; one of the passes must be in mathematics at Grade A; or
    The CT1 exam of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, taken as a non-member; or
    •Other qualifications which are considered to be equivalent to the above.

Advertisement