Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a business at home to be able to work abroad

Options
  • 05-09-2013 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Very recently my better half was offered an incredible promotion which came with a move to Singapore. It meant packing up and moving within a couple of months. I had been working as a software engineer for a consulting firm back home before the move. It was my hope then that when we got here I could setup as a contractor and start looking for work. It was my intention to try to split my time up between short / medium term contracts and developing my own software in between contracts to sell.

However I've found out from a Govt dept that it's not possible for me to setup as a sole trader or LLC in Singapore as I'm a foreigner. There's an option of an "entrepreneurial pass" but it's aimed at SMEs (min 50k in the company account, shares, proof of benefit to the local economy etc) and is total overkill for a one man show like myself.

So I'm thinking of setting up an LLC at home with a relation (my brother probably) as a co-director and hopefully using the company as a way to contract etc here.I don't have a lot of business knowledge. I've been reading up on everything I can find from the citizens info, the CRO etc about the requirements. I understand it means paying Irish corp. tax, having an accountant, submitting annual reports to the CRO etc as that is where the company would be residing.

Does this sound like a stupid idea? Are there any glaring warning signs I should look out for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

It doesn't sound like a stupid idea once you can afford the costs of setting up and running the company, and there aren't any rules over there about dealing with foreign companies; which could quite well be the case given the rule you've already discovered.

I presume you have a reason for actually needing a company? Some of the companies you want to work with require it? In general, I advise people to hold of on setting up as a company until it's really needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AngMo

rovoagho wrote: »
    It doesn't sound like a stupid idea once you can afford the costs of setting up and running the company, and there aren't any rules over there about dealing with foreign companies; which could quite well be the case given the rule you've already discovered.

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm waiting on a response for the same Govt department to see if I can do business with local companies (i.e. take on contract work) or if I took on some remote development work before proceeding any further. Taxes here can depend on if you've done business with local companies or not.
    I presume you have a reason for actually needing a company? Some of the companies you want to work with require it? In general, I advise people to hold of on setting up as a company until it's really needed.

The reason for setting up the company is mainly that having worked in software consulting (as a permanent employee) for a while now I've seen the greater flexibility contractors have over their careers - not only in the projects they work on but the sort of training they can do too - which really appeals to me.

Advertisement