Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to DCU

Options
  • 05-09-2013 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Well lads I was wonderin if anyone was commuting up to DCU this year for first year? or any year for that matter :p I've actually not heard of anyone doing it :( It'd be nice to have a bus/train buddy yenno

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Where from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 laureng5289

Laois, midlands like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I did it nearly 20 years ago for 4 years. Only 20 miles each way though. It was a killer 90 minutes commute in the morning and the same on the way back.

Don't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

I know people who have commuted, and will be commuting to DCU, sadly not from Laois. It's tiring, but if you gotta do it you gotta do it. I'm sure if there are commuters you'll notice them in the first few weeks, it's easy to pick up on!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fusion19

that seems like an awful amount of bother to me

• Advertisement

I think it's probably my only option at this stage haha :P I still can't seem to find a proper reliable route though, I don't know what I'll do :(

is it down to cost or is it that you cant find accomadation

fusion19 wrote: »
    is it down to cost or is it that you cant find accomadation

I was gonna commute for first year for fear of homesickness (which is stupid I know :P ) and find somewhere up there next year. And with the prices I'm looking at commuting is almost costing the same as accom

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

laureng5289. I commute from Portlaoise. kavanaghs leave at 5.50am in the morning they do a student 10 journey/5 day return for 45e and you can get a student 5day dublin bus ticket for 18.30 or geta leap card with student travel card for cheaper fares on bus eirean or dublin bus. I am going into 2nd year but will still commute mainly because it is cheaper at the moment.

Bus eireann leave at 7.25 in the morning, kavanaghs have regular return buses, 4pm, 6pm, 7.30pm, 10pm and 12.45am which is great if you have lots of work to do or even a few pints.

I commuted to college for a year and i wasnt going as far as you and it was the worst idea of my entire life

• Advertisement

fusion19 wrote: »
    I commuted to college for a year and i wasnt going as far as you and it was the worst idea of my entire life

What made it so bad for you?

Well for a start you are going to miss out on everything the college life has to offer number 1. Things like societys and sports clubs. If you ever want to go for a night out you can go and stay with someone but you will end up on a floor and the chances of you going to lectures the next morning especially if you have to go back to laois that evening. There are other things I could tell you but i wont bother id jut say if you are going to commute and you have no other option do it but within a few weeks people will have dropped out and there will be spare rooms around the place and you might even get one at a reduced rate my advice would be take any room you can get after a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

One of my friends drove from Laois every day for a year. He regretted his decision fairly quickly. Most of your energy is wasted in getting up early and getting in late, skipping that fact it is difficult to get a proper meal into you.

I would advise getting a room in Dublin. If you are getting homesick it is only 4 nights a week, you can come up on the Monday morning and go home on the Friday.

Saying all that....I lived with Mammy and Daddy 10 minutes from DCU.

Guys I have decided to take your advice, and I'm viewing a place in Dublin on Monday! Thanks for your honesty about it and everything!

Advertisement