Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty product but no receipt - am I entitles to a replacement?

Options
  • 05-09-2013 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

I bought one of those ash cleaner vacum type things in Lidl last December. It suddenly stopped working yesterday :(. I have the manual, etc that came with it and it says that the product has a trhree year warrenty. The problem is I can't find the receipt. Am I entitled to anything without the receipt?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Strictly speaking if you can't prove you bought it from the shop they don't need to do anything but with Lidl they tend to be quite good so go in and ask them; alternatively you can reach out to the manufacturer directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Nody wrote: »
    Strictly speaking if you can't prove you bought it from the shop they don't need to do anything but with Lidl they tend to be quite good so go in and ask them; alternatively you can reach out to the manufacturer directly.

Thanks for that. It's a Lidl branded item so they might help me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

cocoman wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It's a Lidl branded item so they might help me out.

They don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

In our household we recently made a warranty claim on a Lidl product (own-brand: Silver Crest). It involved courier collection of the faulty item and their sending out a replacement. The receipt was required (well, a scan of it, which was emailed to Silver Crest).

If they can't do in in-store replacement (which they are often willing to do without too much hassle) I think you have a problem without proof of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

In our household we recently made a warranty claim on a Lidl product (own-brand: Silver Crest). It involved courier collection of the faulty item and their sending out a replacement. The receipt was required (well, a scan of it, which was emailed to Silver Crest).

If they can't do in in-store replacement (which they are often willing to do without too much hassle) I think you have a problem without proof of purchase.

Go raibh maith agat.
    A bit more searching for the receipt so!!!

• Advertisement

It seems to make sense to scan Lidl receipts for items under warranty rather than have them clutter up the kitchen noticeboard. I'll get around to it some day. After about 250 other things on my neglected to-do list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree a scan is the best option but by the time I get the old scanner out I've forgotten what I wanted to scan, but my MIL has a new phone that will take a pic of a receipt and will make the writing clearer than even a scanner so maybe thats an option in future.

The ultimate irony would be if her phone failed and she had used it to store a picture of the receipt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

If it's own branded that's proof of purchase to the required standard of 51%. Yes you could have nicked it, yes you could have had it gifted, yes you could have bought it from a liquidator, yes you could be from an alternative dimension. I wont labour the point or respond to posts that say it isn't as there is a very recent thread on the subject. The retailer should assist you, I have personally been successful with one of the German grocery chains, I forget which one. (It helps knowing the right buzzwords!)

You are under no obligation to deal with the manufacturer, however if it's easier and at no extra cost then I would say save yourself the hassle and go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Hey, I work in Lidl, and we are told to give customers the following number when they don't have a receipt.

1800-347447, Mon-Sat 8am-9pm. However, there is usually a 60 day policy for faulty goods even with the receipt, but its worth a shot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement