Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lipo

• 05-09-2013 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Ok this has probably been discused before, but im changing to lipos and want to know what i need in order to do so, i have my gun on low resistance wiring, and have changed to deans, my gun is a g&g gr16 with standard internals, do i need a mosfet to replace the trigger contacts? And what precautions do i need to put in place with charging the batteries etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

what voltage of lipo do you plan to use? A 7.4 lipo will work with pretty much any stock gun however the 11.6 will need up rated gears,piston,motor,wiring and a mosfet just for it to not fry anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭matty1994

.22 Lover wrote: »
    what voltage of lipo do you plan to use? A 7.4 lipo will work with pretty much any stock gun however the 11.6 will need up rated gears,piston,motor,wiring and a mosfet just for it to not fry anything.

I have 2 7.4 lipos here, im just concerned mainly with charging and discharging, but thanks for the info, much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

You didn't need to do any of the above for 7.2v lipos. You'll get more mileage though.

Only thing I would emphasise,.is don't go forking out on internal upgrades and lipos and then buy an el-cheapo charger that will do moreto damage a Lipo than playing football with one...

Lemming wrote: »
    You didn't need to do any of the above for 7.2v lipos. You'll get more mileage though.

Only thing I would emphasise,.is don't go forking out on internal upgrades and lipos and then buy an el-cheapo charger that will do moreto damage a Lipo than playing football with one...

I got bored so decided id change them, and i have an asg multi balance charger would that do?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭airsofter232

I would recommend putting in a mosfet. A 7.4 lipo output is around 20c however an NiMH is only about 5-10c. So its not necessary to do but it will help preserve your trigger contacts

• Advertisement

I would recommend putting in a mosfet. A 7.4 lipo output is around 20c however an NiMH is only about 5-10c. So its not necessary to do but it will help preserve your trigger contacts

Ok, will upgrade to mosfets, any advice with charging/ discharging?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭airsofter232

You dont need to discharge lipos. As long as you have a good lipo balance charger everything should be fine. I use a Porte lipo/lion balance charger

You dont need to discharge lipos. As long as you have a good lipo balance charger everything should be fine. I use a Porte lipo/lion balance charger

I have an asg multi balance charger would that be ok?

matty1994 wrote: »
    I have an asg multi balance charger would that be ok?

Having had a look at it, and from my experience with ASG lipos (i.e. they're really sh*t), personally speaking it looks (both specs AND appearance-wise; in fact the plastic shroud looks disturbingly familiar) about one step up from a cheap chinese lipo charger I got with my Viva Arms Sten gun a few years ago.

What you want is a charger with balancer, delta cut-off (I shouldn't even need to mention that feature these days) and preferably is configurable so you can set fast charge or trickle charge depending on batter type/size. I use a Kong Power charger (which also gives diagnostic error messages back if batteries are fvcked), others use IMAX b6 chargers, and there are others I can't recall the names of lurking out there that are just fine.

Lemming wrote: »
    Having had a look at it, and from my experience with ASG lipos (i.e. they're really sh*t), personally speaking it looks (both specs AND appearance-wise; in fact the plastic shroud looks disturbingly familiar) about one step up from a cheap chinese lipo charger I got with my Viva Arms Sten gun a few years ago.

What you want is a charger with balancer, delta cut-off (I shouldn't even need to mention that feature these days) and preferably is configurable so you can set fast charge or trickle charge depending on batter type/size. I use a Kong Power charger (which also gives diagnostic error messages back if batteries are fvcked), others use IMAX b6 chargers, and there are others I can't recall the names of lurking out there that are just fine.

Well tbh with my dealings with asg there aload of rubbish, even this charger isnt the best, but it does the job for now, im planning on upgrading to an imax b6 charger, do i need to charge the lipo in one of those charging bags?

• Advertisement

matty1994 wrote: »
    Well tbh with my dealings with asg there aload of rubbish, even this charger isnt the best, but it does the job for now, im planning on upgrading to an imax b6 charger, do i need to charge the lipo in one of those charging bags?

No; but they do add an extra level of piece of mind should the lipo ever fail. Something like a garden flower pot (i.e. the pottery ones; not plastic ... ) will do just as well for charging the battery in and stop it destroying its immediate surroundings.

Advertisement