Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to the BTEA scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

That only updated on their website the past couple of weeks, seemingly it got passed into affect on January 2013, but nobody knew about it until now! I met the criteria before it changed, now I am not entitled to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bri007 wrote: »
    That only updated on their website the past couple of weeks, seemingly it got passed into affect on January 2013, but nobody knew about it until now! I met the criteria before it changed, now I am not entitled to it :(

What criteria has changed that changes your eligibility?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Bri that's awful. I know that even up to a couple of months ago local offices were still using to old operational guidelines when you looked for info on BTEA. The rule change has been implemented in a very shoddy fashion with no time for people to make alternative arrangements even where they can do so.

I was informed all along I was getting it, even rang me to say all I need is the registration from college letter, it means i cant go to college now
    paperclip2 wrote: »
    Bri that's awful. I know that even up to a couple of months ago local offices were still using to old operational guidelines when you looked for info on BTEA. The rule change has been implemented in a very shoddy fashion with no time for people to make alternative arrangements even where they can do so.

I even have a letter from Jaon burton stating i met the criteria, was in with citizine information,they still had the old system and were shocked! Cant believe it

• Advertisement

I even have a letter from Jaon burton stating i met the criteria, was in with citizine information,they still had the old system and were shocked! Cant believe it

But what criteria changed?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Basically I have a level 7 Diploma in engineering,there is no follow on course for my award. Up until August 2013, they were allowing me to do a different course, and progress to a level 8 honours degree. I got confirmation from my local welfare office, btea head office in carrick on shannon, citizen advice, Joan Burton stating i am progressing and I should get the btea once its a higher award from what i have.

My local office rejected me,as it has changed, it has to be the same qualification i am pursuing.

Basically I have a level 7 Diploma in engineering,there is no follow on course for my award. Up until August 2013, they were allowing me to do a different course, and progress to a level 8 honours degree. I got confirmation from my local welfare office, btea head office in carrick on shannon, citizen advice, Joan Burton stating i am progressing and I should get the btea once its a higher award from what i have.

My local office rejected me,as it has changed, it has to be the same qualification i am pursuing.

Ah I see

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx
    A person holding a level 7 degree can only apply for a level 8 add- on year (honours bachelor degree) in the same discipline and is not eligible for new level 8 degree course in a different discipline.

If I was in your position I would go further with this - possibly journalists or the Ombudsman

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Ah I see

If I was in your position I would go further with this - possibly journalists or the Ombudsman

Wow, guess I'm really lucky that the fourth year I was planning to do is an add-on to my current course! :mad:

I will, although my local office told me im wasting my time. I just cant believe it, I actually have it in writing i am entitled to it dated 05 May 2013 from Joan Burton.

They just keep refering to the new changes now,and i dont meet them :(
    Ah I see

• Advertisement

Can I go to an ombudsman ye? Social welfare office told me all I can do it request a different officer to check it again and thats it. I cant appeal the decision

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

The changes state;

"A person holding a level 7 degree can only apply for a level 8 add- on year (honours bachelor degree) in the same discipline and is not eligible for new level 8 degree course in a different discipline".

A level 7 diploma is a national diploma, not a degree, If it were me I would insist on meeting with the facilitator at my local SWO

Thanks everyone for your help and advice, I just got hit for six,due to start college next week,only got this letter yesterday,even do I had it in there since start of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Bri as an alternative would your course be available through the Springboard scheme.This wouldn't affect a Jobseekers payment.

Take care of yourself.

Hi Paperclip2, unfortunately its not available on springboard scheme. I have a meeting with a TD later this afternoon,and I have to go back to the nice person that was dealing with me in the past in Citizen advice.

I am not confident of the BTEA dept about over ruling the decision!

If I even had a bit more notice, I could have a bit of time to think of something, but I start next week. Going to try the credit union again, but I would need some sort of income.

Thanks for everyone's comments and help, and the PM's i have got from people in support.

Bri007
    paperclip2 wrote: »
    Bri as an alternative would your course be available through the Springboard scheme.This wouldn't affect a Jobseekers payment.

Take care of yourself.

Advertisement