Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat leaving as adult !

• 05-09-2013 10:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,485 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all ,
    Well 20 yrs after doing my leaving ( and Being told how i should study blah blah blah ) I've finally seen how right 'old' folks were and im looking to repeat 3 possibly 4 subjects at hons level .
    I have checked about sitting the exams as an external student which is no problem but where do i now find out about books , syllabi (?).
    Does the dept of ed publish any info on this ?
    Im thinking of maths , economics and physics and aiming to sit in 2015 .
    Also is there a business study leaving cert course ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Are you going it alone or signing up for some classes? You could go into a second hand book store and get some books for the current LC course. Then go to examinations.ie and check out the syllabus and see past exams papers.
    Are you doing this for a sense of personal achievement or to get on a course of some kind? Because many courses wil give you a place regardless of LC once you're over a certain age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,485 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

dory wrote: »
    Are you going it alone or signing up for some classes? You could go into a second hand book store and get some books for the current LC course. Then go to examinations.ie and check out the syllabus and see past exams papers.
    Are you doing this for a sense of personal achievement or to get on a course of some kind? Because many courses wil give you a place regardless of LC once you're over a certain age.

Ideally i want to follow up with a degree course .
    I have 'gone back' to college before ( in uk ) and while i enjoyed it , i found that the leaving cert was completely inadequate regarding the depth we go into the subjects here compared to A levels so i want to be refreshed in the subjects i take now, and see how i go before doing or specifying a college course

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paddythe goat

try pearse college clogher road crumlin ....near national stadium on scr............adult repeat classes..for leaving cert..go on their web site now..and book in.....told few places left............classes to start 21/09..paper work to be completed this week..............bring old results sheet..passport. driving licence....medical card......call to office 10am to 3pm...and u will get sorted if you are serious......................good luck......remember year is very short..more like 25 weeks........go for it........................................................ talk to careers advisor for all your options asap.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

cjmc wrote: »
    Ideally i want to follow up with a degree course .
    I have 'gone back' to college before ( in uk ) and while i enjoyed it , i found that the leaving cert was completely inadequate regarding the depth we go into the subjects here compared to A levels so i want to be refreshed in the subjects i take now, and see how i go before doing or specifying a college course

Personally I think your mad! If your a mature student then go pick a college course and go for it. Your losing a lot of time doing the LC when you don't need to.
    I never did the LC and, as a mature student, went into college. There was a steep learning curve in some areas, maths in particular, but not in others. You will be studying a lot of material for the LC which may not be relevant. You sound self motivated so should have no problem at all. I'm now on my third degree, and not a hope in hell of a chance I'd bother with the LC.
    Regardless, best of luck with whatever you do. 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Old thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement