Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with image placement on Website

Options
  • 05-09-2013 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi There,

I am a keen amateur photographer and I am designing my own website to showcase my images.

I don't want to have too many different galleries so I decided on 3 to host everything

1. People
    2. Places
    3. Things

What I would like to do is to have the images in each of these galleries appear as they do in Flickrs new look.

To do this I tried using a table to hold the images but this only works if I have all Landscape oriented images or all portrait orientated images. If I mix them it throws the placement of the images all over the place and I get gaps and squashed images.

I am using HTML to do the site and I am somewhat familiar with it but this is still a big learning process.

As I am having to code the images in directly I was also wondering if there is a way of doing the galleries as a CMS type page or do you have to decide that your site will be all CMS or all HTML.

Thanks in Advance.

Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

markst33 wrote: »
    Hi There,

I am a keen amateur photographer and I am designing my own website to showcase my images.

I don't want to have too many different galleries so I decided on 3 to host everything

1. People
    2. Places
    3. Things

What I would like to do is to have the images in each of these galleries appear as they do in Flickrs new look.

To do this I tried using a table to hold the images but this only works if I have all Landscape oriented images or all portrait orientated images. If I mix them it throws the placement of the images all over the place and I get gaps and squashed images.

I am using HTML to do the site and I am somewhat familiar with it but this is still a big learning process.

As I am having to code the images in directly I was also wondering if there is a way of doing the galleries as a CMS type page or do you have to decide that your site will be all CMS or all HTML.

Thanks in Advance.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

I think to sort out your image placements you might be better to use CSS rather than just a table on it's own....try setting a max-height on your images and setting your the left and right margins of your images to auto to centre them.

You can do a CMS just for uploading your images, but it does require a little bit of setup and you need to know PHP and MySQL. You'll need to make a webpage for your user interface to upload your images through, a database to store the image names in and then write a little bit of code to upload the actual image to your website....hope this helps :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

have you considered Javascript Masonry?

http://masonry.desandro.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

have you considered Javascript Masonry?

http://masonry.desandro.com/

That's a nice bit of script, I love the visual effects with it.

Responsive too! Really neat bit of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Mark,

Take a look at Koken. It's very impressive and has a great backend interface:

http://koken.me/

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mrbubbles

Hi Mark,

To be honest, you'd be better off just getting a Wordpress install going and find a nice portfolio template. The amount of time it would take to learn to code something of that standard from scratch is non-trivial and I'm sure you'd much rather be spending your time taking photos :) You could pick from any on here and have it up and running in a few hours http://www.premiumwp.com/best-portfolio-photo-gallery-wordpress-themes/

Of course, if it's something you're keen to do then go for it... Masonry/Isotope will probably be your best bet

• Advertisement
Advertisement