Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School bus arrives 20 minutes before school starts - normal?

Options
  • 05-09-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭

Hi - just looking from some opinions here.

My young lad, is 4 and a half and just started school last week. We live in a rural area so he gets the school bus.

Anyway, the bus drops him at the school at 8:55 but the school does not start until 9:20. They have said that yard supervison starts at 9:15. Does anyone think this is a bit strange that there is a 20 minute period where the kids are not minded, especially the younger ones?

I rang the school and they have said that their responsibility does not start until 9:15 and that the bus service is not controlled by the school. Any opinions on this or are we being too over protective? I would have thought that once we see him to the bus, that they have a duty of care until we collect him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Call the bus operator and discuss with them I'd say. It's not right for a 4 year old to be dropped to an unsupervised area.

• Administrators Posts: 14,047 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

That was the same in our school up to 2 years ago when the start time of school was changed from 9:20 to 9.

Now the bus drops them at 8:55, and they are almost immediately into class.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes, it happens. It is a bus issue but they may not be able to change ,especially if they are serving other schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jack7

we had problems in our school too. but mostly older kids are very good and will keep an eye on younger ones. School blames school transport, it ridiculous. we were lucky as one of the drivers would wait until an adult arrived

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Why is it ridiculous that the school "blames" school transport? Buses are not under the school's control.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I personally wouldn't be happy with my just turned five year old being left anywhere unsupervised. Tbh I wouldn't send her on a bus either, it seems very young. Our school buses won't take kids until they're 7, younger than that we have a few parents that car pool. Maybe if there were a few parents with young kids in the same position you might take a turn to supervise the kids in the morning?

Advertisement