Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap smart phone

Options
  • 05-09-2013 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Can anyone suggest a smart phone around 100 euro. Lumia 520 or galaxy ace are two being considerd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

alyssum wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a smart phone around 100 euro. Lumia 520 or galaxy ace are two being considerd

If you're only going for the €100 mark, Id take the Nokia. The Androids can be a bit slow until you hit the 200-300 euro mark.

I have a Lumia and its great. The OS is good. However, if you're looking for a plethora of apps go with Android, however all the main ones are on Windows Phone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

Thanks
    If you're only going for the €100 mark, Id take the Nokia. The Androids can be a bit slow until you hit the 200-300 euro mark.

I have a Lumia and its great. The OS is good. However, if you're looking for a plethora of apps go with Android, however all the main ones are on Windows Phone too.
    is it the 520 you have? What is the camera like? Are the tiles responsive and scroll easily without opening if you do not want?

I had an LG cookie* and it drove me mad. When you would scroll it would open wher ever you pressed to scroll instead of scrolling
    * i know it is not a smart phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Try and have a play with both phone, you'll find the Lumia 520 is much faster than the Galaxy Ace. I know that the Galaxy Ace is far more customisable than the Lumia 520 but as soon as you try to customise a budget Android phone it is going to start crashing, hanging and running very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

Someone with an 820 told me they can track it if it is stolen. Can you do that with 520

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Someone with an 820 told me they can track it if it is stolen. Can you do that with 520

Yup all run the same OS and have the same features.

Also WP8 is nothing like an LG cookie! Very responsive but only opening what you want to open. Very fast too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Thanks

is it the 520 you have? What is the camera like? Are the tiles responsive and scroll easily without opening if you do not want?

I had an LG cookie* and it drove me mad. When you would scroll it would open wher ever you pressed to scroll instead of scrolling
    * i know it is not a smart phone

No, I have the 800 but as far as I know Microsoft make sure all phones are built to handle the Windows Phone OS, which is why one reason you do t see many low end Windows Phones, whereas you'll find loads of slow Android phones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I'm an Android user but for the love of god stay away from the Ace. Nightmare phone, I've only heard bad reports.
    Check out the Huawei Y300, great spec for the price, meteor and emobile have it for €99 or it's around €125 sim free on Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

If u can find a sony arc in one of the shops in dublin city centre you might get fairly cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The Ace is an old phone stuck on and old version of Android. They shouldn't be selling it IMO. The Ace II is much better but it also is stuck on and old OS. For example the new RTE player app won't run on either.

Lumia 520 is fast but its got a budget screen (hard to see in sunlight) and no flash. if you can live with that its a good phone and its 109 on o2. The 620 is much better though. An Alternative is the G510 on vodafone, 129 if you switch a number to it. or the Ascend Y300.

You have to accept some compromises if you spend under 200 on a smart phone though. Consider buying online sim free prices aren't that much different and the phone will be unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Low end androids are a pita. The processor in the GFs Galaxy Europa is really slow so the phone is just used for basic calling/texting.
    I haven't had a Nokia I didn't like, Lumia is good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement