Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous disposable web based mobile number

Options
  • 05-09-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to setup a yahoo email account without providing my real mobile phone number for verification. Call me paranoid but I just don't like being forced into providing my personal number to ANY website;) Is there any way I can use a FREE anonymous disposable web based mobile number to receive the verification code? I've searched through hundreds of websites promising this but so far can only send sms texts anonymously. I want to be able to receive them too :D

Cheers guys, any help REALLY appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You could get a VoIP number and it would work just like a Skype-In number, only cheaper, in so far that you would be using a softphone and answer it using your PC.

To get an Irish number for free would be difficult. The cheapest I've seen is around €3 a month.

Note that VoIP wouldn't usually facilitate SMS, and would only do Voice calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Thanks for the suggestion Mr. G but I need to be able to receive one text to verify my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Why not get another mobile number/sim card for these sorts of things if you are that paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Why not get another mobile number/sim card for these sorts of things if you are that paranoid.

a pay as you go which you dont have to register.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

livEwirE wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion Mr. G but I need to be able to receive one text to verify my account.

Get a sim card from a phone shop. They are usually free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

Mr. G wrote: »
    Get a sim card from a phone shop. They are usually free.

Yes, easiest option.

Even if you get one sent out, they don't actually sync the shipment address with the number, they just put a sim in an addressed envelope (well, i know lyca and meteor do). They don't get your details until you actually register it online (which isn't compulsory).

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

I feel the same way as OP.
    A nieghbour gave me an old working pay as you go phone that they didn't want anymore. I use that for these sometimes 'enforced' verification demands.
    Anyone notice that the old internet ways of having friendly options are fast disappearing. Its seems its a case now of doing things thier way or no way. Its progress, apparently;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I hate that kind of thing as you can be sure it'll end up as spam texts or calls at some stage in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

Does it have to be yahoo? Gmail doesn't require phone number verification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Does it have to be yahoo? Gmail doesn't require phone number verification.

Anyone have any other ideas?
    I want to keep re-registering for hailo to get lots of five euro off vouchers :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement