Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the cost of this hearing aid reasonable in Ireland?

Options
  • 05-09-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello,

A hearing loss was recently diagnosed and the audiologist in question recommended an Octicon H310 hearing aid. The required outlay for initial supply and ongoing maintenance would be in excess of €2,500. Apparently, this model is a high-spec item at or near the top of the range (which in itself is not an issue).

While we are satisfied that the hearing aid is fit for purpose, when we have to pay this type of money, we like to know that we are not overpaying. We did some checking online and could find UK sites quoting between £1,300 and £1,500 for same model.

Also, as we understand it, whereas VAT applies to hearing aids in the UK, there is no VAT applied to cost of hearing aids in Ireland. We are therefore wondering whether the quoted Irish price is a bit excessive.

We'd be thankful to hear views from anyone who has some experience in this area as this is all new to us.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

There are other posters who have given their experiences here, you should have a read of them. If your model of choice is that price online I would go for the online version. One of the posters told me he was thinking of going to visit and stay with his sister in England and go to Boots there for personal service, for 100 pounds stg extra. He then changed his mind and bought the online version. I would look into whether you could go to Boots in Northern Ireland. That said, my sister went to Specsavers, having shopped around, and bought hers there and is very happy with them, and their price.

Advertisement