Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beauty RAGES!

• 05-09-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

What are your biggest beauty rages?

This is one of mine, happened yesterday. Had my eyeshadow done nicely, spent ages on my gel liner (I'm not very good at it so it takes a while!) and then...MASCARA SMUDGE :mad:

y44wqb5.jpg?1?2097

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

That always happens to me with mascara, its a pain in the rear end when it happens, esp when you spend ages doing your make up.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what products did you use on your eyes? The shadow/liner looks gorgeous, how did you do it? When I do my eyes, I can never get them like that, and I'm hopeless with all types eyeliner!

Another one of mine is when I put clear mascara on my brows (I have to, they are everywhere other wise) and I accidentally put on too much and have to wait until it dried, then go at it with a make up sponge and gently get it off and then re apply the mascara!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Toast4532 wrote: »
    That always happens to me with mascara, its a pain in the rear end when it happens, esp when you spend ages doing your make up.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what products did you use on your eyes? The shadow/liner looks gorgeous, how did you do it? When I do my eyes, I can never get them like that, and I'm hopeless with all types eyeliner!

Another one of mine is when I put clear mascara on my brows (I have to, they are everywhere other wise) and I accidentally put on too much and have to wait until it dried, then go at it with a make up sponge and gently get it off and then re apply the mascara!

Thanks! For eyeshadow I used a matte cream Inglot (don't know the number) all over as the base, then from the Urban Decay Naked pallette I put Virgin on my eyelid and a bit as highlighter under my brows, and Toasted along the crease using a Mac 275 angle brush.

The eyeliner is just a really cheap Collection 2000 gel liner. I was using the Mac Fluidline, which I found great but it recently dried up and couldn't afford to replace it. The Collection 2000 one isn't as pigmented as the Mac one, so you have to use more, and it's a bit more liquidy so I find it a little difficult to make it as neat. I use a Mac 210 brush for gel liner, it's a very thin brush and I find it much easier to control than an angled liner brush. I also have a 266 for eyeliner and I try and use it when I'm doing flicks but I usually make a mess :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Similarly....Sneezing when putting mascara on lower lashes and ending up with a line of black dots under the eyes. :mad:

Accidently applying to much blusher/bronzer. :mad:

Realising that I’ve been walking around with lipstick on my teeth. :mad:

Thinking my nails are dry only to end up with some lovely smudges or fabric imprints.....arrrgghhh! :mad:

Thanks! For eyeshadow I used a matte cream Inglot (don't know the number) all over as the base, then from the Urban Decay Naked pallette I put Virgin on my eyelid and a bit as highlighter under my brows, and Toasted along the crease using a Mac 275 angle brush.

The eyeliner is just a really cheap Collection 2000 gel liner. I was using the Mac Fluidline, which I found great but it recently dried up and couldn't afford to replace it. The Collection 2000 one isn't as pigmented as the Mac one, so you have to use more, and it's a bit more liquidy so I find it a little difficult to make it as neat. I use a Mac 210 brush for gel liner, it's a very thin brush and I find it much easier to control than an angled liner brush. I also have a 266 for eyeliner and I try and use it when I'm doing flicks but I usually make a mess :o
    Thanks so much, I had never used toasted before so tried those shadows today and it turned out really nice :D Thank you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

ClubDead wrote: »
    Thinking my nails are dry only to end up with some lovely smudges or fabric imprints.....arrrgghhh! :mad:

This is the most annoying thing!
    I always do my toenails and after waiting ages I put on my socks and no matter how dry they are when I test them they still smudge from the socks but my feet get too cold without socks on

• Advertisement

ClubDead wrote: »
    This *always* happens to me. I've discovered that if I use Sally Hansen hard as nails as a base and top coat and after an hour they are fully dry and smudge proof :) It's working so far so hopefully it will continue, I hate smudged nails!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I bought some MAC power in the airport a few weeks back. Carted it on holidays with me, all over a foreign country on various treks and excursions in my backpack.

Got back to Ireland and proceeded to finally open it. Immediately dropped it on the bathroom tile, cracking the plastic compact and shattering the powder all over the floor.

There aren't enough :mad: smileys in the world for how annoyed I was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Getting one eyelid done with perfect, subtle flicked gel liner. Then the other side you accidentally drag the flick out too far or at a weird angle and you end up adding eyeliner to both sides to try 'even things out' until you look like this

ellen-degeneres-raccoon.jpg

Gauge wrote: »
    I bought some MAC power in the airport a few weeks back. Carted it on holidays with me, all over a foreign country on various treks and excursions in my backpack.

Got back to Ireland and proceeded to finally open it. Immediately dropped it on the bathroom tile, cracking the plastic compact and shattering the powder all over the floor.

There aren't enough :mad: smileys in the world for how annoyed I was!

Oh noooo! There's nothing worse! This happened my favourite Mac blusher a few weeks ago. I've had it a few years but there was still loads of it left because I only use it on nights out. Dropped it on my bedroom floor and it went rolling across the room, landing face down. I had been sitting on the bed when I dropped it so was hoping that I might have been lucky, but alas it wasn't to be :( Destroyed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

There are no words to express my true rage for mascara smudge.

Similar to sneezing/mascara thing, I once sneezed right after I put liquid eye liner. It transferred all over my eye lid. It wasn't even a thick line. But it was still wet. Oh the despair!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Getting one eyelid done with perfect, subtle flicked gel liner. Then the other side you accidentally drag the flick out too far or at a weird angle and you end up adding eyeliner to both sides to try 'even things out' until you look like this

ellen-degeneres-raccoon.jpg

This pretty much sums up my experience with eyeliner:

putting-eyeliner-on.jpg

If I was Claudia Winkleman I would have all the rage with the make up artist, whoever it was! Look at the smudging under her eyes! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Picked up the prettiest blush ever that looked amazing on my skin... of course it had to be Limited Edition (MAC's Hello Kitty face powder in Pretty Baby, a beautiful subtle rose-gold pinky shade) :( It also cracked when I hit pan and the remainder is currently sitting in my collection as a "special occasion" item*

*in typical Irish form, I haven't used it in years because no special occasion has been "special enough"

Putting on too much mascara and ending up with about 4 thick, clumpy lashes is really annoying because you have to wait for it to dry and then remove it :mad:

Thinking it would be a great idea to wear a bold lip after doing a semi dark eye look... then realising it's 7 a.m. and going into college looking like a shady lady is not a good idea... and then ending up with stained lips/surrounding area from removing said lipstick for the rest of the morning makes it look even more embarrassing

Toast4532 wrote: »
    If I was Claudia Winkleman I would have all the rage with the make up artist, whoever it was! Look at the smudging under her eyes! :eek:

She always goes a bit OTT with the panda eyes and the orange tan, but that just looks bizarre. I wonder is she ok, she looks a bit out of it. Although it could also be a publicity stunt, because surely someone would have pointed out to her how bad she looked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Putting on too much gel eyeliner and getting a circular smudge in my eyelid after blinking!

Sneezing with mascara on

Dark eyeshadow falling onto cheek and after you try to fix it, your cheeks are a weird grey colour

Breaking nails at the bottom of the white bit and then having 9 long nails and 1 short one and not knowing whether to leave it, or shorten them all down

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Pythia wrote: »
    Dark eyeshadow falling onto cheek and after you try to fix it, your cheeks are a weird grey colour

Or you decide at the last minute to apply a little pigment to your already perfect eye shadow and you get glitter fallout all over your cheeks..

May as well just wash it all back off :mad:

Sticking the mascara wand into your eye... the fricking pain! :eek: and mess.. I've done it a few times with 'They're Real' mascara.. that wand is unforgivingly pokey!!

She always goes a bit OTT with the panda eyes and the orange tan, but that just looks bizarre. I wonder is she ok, she looks a bit out of it. Although it could also be a publicity stunt, because surely someone would have pointed out to her how bad she looked.
    I didn't realise that about her, it was the first time I'd heard of her tbh. She looks truly awful in those pics, it's quite shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Let mascara blobs dry fully and then they wipe away easily with a dry cotton bud. Use a light touch and it won't remove eyeshadow.

Another tip I've read that works is to use a bank/credit card as a guide to apply liquid eyeliner. Hold it at the angle you want and draw along the edge of the card.

As for breaking palettes - :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Pythia wrote: »
    Just saw this! Put loose powder on your cheeks, the flecks will fall onto that and you can brush it away. Alternatively, apply eye make-up before foundation and blusher.

I read too many beauty blogs/magazines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

When I'm applying mascara, my right eye seems to have the most obedient lashes.

The mascara goes on fine, even goes on lovely at the corners, all fanned out.
    I move onto the left eye and the lashes on that corner don't seem to want to accept the mascara and ALWAYS ALWAYS without fail the mascara clumps on the corner.

I also hate when one or two lashes in the middle of your eye clump and you try to fan them out but your mascara has hardened and so you can't do anything about it.

I also find when I apply blusher, it goes on beautifully on my right cheek but it looks wrong on my left. WTF?

Also, applying eyeshadow..goes on and blends lovely on my right eye, but looks all dark and smudgy on my left.

Also painting my nails..getting them all gorgeous and glossy, then after waiting about half an hour, I carry on with my business and look down...and spot FINGER PRINTS on my nails..HOW?

Also getting nail polish marks on the edge of your fingernails (on your skin) and when you attempt to remove them, you remove half your nail varnish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

When I've done my eye make up and realize a few minutes later I have an itch in my eye - urrghh!

Also, any time I manage to get liquid liner somewhere on my face where it's not meant to be, especially if that area's already been set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Accidentally filling in your eyebrows in totally different shapes and having to start again because half your face looks stunned and half your face looks depressed.

Applying your bronzer in a semi-lit room and not realising your face looks absolutely filthy because you were a bit too heavy handed with it.

When my hair won't cooperate - No matter how hard I try sometimes it just cannot by styled :(

Putting on fake eyelashes and accidentally getting glue all over your eyelid or worse, gluing your lashes together!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

You all probably know considering how much of a beauty amateur I am but apparently a good way to check if your nails are dry is to press them against each other. If they stick at all then they haven't dried fully and are still at risk of the dreaded imprints!

A good tip I got from a friend is, if your nails aren't fully dry, get a bowl and fill it with ice cold water and put your finger tips into it for about 5-10 mins and it will harden the polish so it will be dry quicker.

I've tried it a few times and it's always worked. My fingers tips are usually numb by the time I take them out of the bowl though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

When I've done my eye make up and realize a few minutes later I have an itch in my eye - urrghh!.

This is mine !!!!! Good God the rage !!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

A few months ago I was nearly ready to go out the door for dinner and went to put on some mascara at the last minute and managed to stab myself in the eye with the wand . The agony! I had to lie down until my eye stopped streaming but it hurt for ages afterwards. Ruined my foundation too. :mad:

I just got a new soft and gentle compact and I'm going to be super paranoid using it now after reading all the broken MAC stuff posts. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Eyeshadow done perfectly on one eyelid and sh!te on the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Happened today I put pout cream blusher on my cheeks, it's highly pigmented and a little goes a long way. When I was in A-wear I glanced at my reflection in the mirror and realised I looked like aunt sally from worzel gummidge. Not a good look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Cracked powder compacts, and the ensuing mess in the handbag.

Getting eyeshadow in my eye. Owwy :o

Getting foundation on my lips and looking like the living dead.

Overplucking my eyebrows...

• Advertisement

Was heading to the CBF today so put on some blusher and stuff, only to glance in the mirror a while later to see this big stripe across my cheeks and realised I applied bronzer, not blusher.

Had to wipe it off with cotton wool and then put MAC blot powder over my cheeks to get rid of the shimmer from the bronzer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Trying to put on benefit's High Beam on top of Double Wear foundation. For some reason, dabbing on the highlighter seems to remove the foundation completely :mad: So instead of a lovely subtle glow along my cheekbones, I'm left with a weird patchy face that needs retouching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

jokettle wrote: »
    Trying to put on benefit's High Beam on top of Double Wear foundation. For some reason, dabbing on the highlighter seems to remove the foundation completely :mad: So instead of a lovely subtle glow along my cheekbones, I'm left with a weird patchy face that needs retouching.

Yes, I wonder why that happens...................so annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Doing a full face of makeup and getting it perfect, then sweating like a pig on a packed train to work and feeling like about 2/3 of it rolled off onto my scarf! Thinking I should just do it when I get into work...

Also Mac Russian Red and the bad habit of wandering everywhere that it has!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

molly09 wrote: »
    Yes, I wonder why that happens...................so annoying

Same as...only happening since they changed the formula, nothing used to get it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Buying premium brand cosmetics and having to take the advice of someone whose make up is applied appallingly. I don't know if I can trust you or not!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Buying premium brand cosmetics and having to take the advice of someone whose make up is applied appallingly. I don't know if I can trust you or not!!

Oh my God yes!!! I was afraid to go near MAC for years for this very reason! Urban Decay are heading that way too....

My beauty rage is how I always seem to sneeze 2 seconds after applying my mascara :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Beautifully applied base, and BAM - runny nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Beautifully applied base, and BAM - runny nose.

This, or beautiful base and thinking "hmm a little more coverage needed just here..."- cakeface! Got Mac fix + spray for this very reason

Advertisement