Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy outside Dublin

Options
  • 05-09-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a house with my wife and we are hoping to get something with a decent amount of space. I work in Sandymount and she works in Castleknock. Has anyone ideas where would be the best place to live within 1 hours commute.

The best option for me seems to be Newbridge and cycle from Heuston to Sandymount, not sure about Castleknock

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Navan is handy with the new motorway you'd be up there within the hour.

Navan to Sandymount via M3 and M50 approx 52 minutes

Navan to Castleknock via M3 approx 38 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

What is your approx budget? I would take Maynooth over Newbridge personally but it is more expensive. If commuting by car and it is space you are looking for you would get a really nice house in Virginia cavan for 200k. I have viewed houses in this estate and it is really nice for the price. Brand new motorway but no use if you are thinking of trains and cycling etc.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=538834

What is your approx budget? I would take Maynooth over Newbridge personally but it is more expensive. If commuting by car and it is space you are looking for you would get a really nice house in Virginia cavan for 200k. I have viewed houses in this estate and it is really nice for the price. Brand new motorway but no use if you are thinking of trains and cycling etc.

Wow that's a fabulous house

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭homer1916

That is an unbelievable house, i love it. However it would be 2 hours each way commuting to Sandymount. Once you hit the city, the traffic can be a nightmare, especially with schools back

If your budget is around the 100k mark heres a great semi in a much sought after area

www.daft.ie/1722974

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I would look around Celbridge/Maynooth/Leixslip.

Driving to Castleknock approx. 30 mins.
    66x/67x as far as Baggot St. and city bike(or walk) to Sandymount or
    Train from Maynooth/Leixslip to Connolly and Dart to Sandymount.(Not sure of the logistics of this)
    Hazlehatch station is close to Celbridge to get into Heuston if needs be

Nights out in town 66n/67n home €7

Prices won't be as cheap as further out but it gives a good balance work/life /commuting time.

We're in Celbridge 10 years now, moved in when we were 24 and 23 and really like the place, we've had two kids since and both are in school two minutes walk from the house so we're well settled.
    Plenty of pubs, restaurants, shops and sports clubs near by.

I've family in Kill and Naas, they love it but the lack of public transport would be a draw back

The Mulk wrote: »
    I would look around Celbridge/Maynooth/Leixslip.

Driving to Castleknock approx. 30 mins.
    66x/67x as far as Baggot St. and city bike(or walk) to Sandymount or
    Train from Maynooth/Leixslip to Connolly and Dart to Sandymount.(Not sure of the logistics of this)
    Hazlehatch station is close to Celbridge to get into Heuston if needs be

Nights out in town 66n/67n home €7

Prices won't be as cheap as further out but it gives a good balance work/life /commuting time.

We're in Celbridge 10 years now, moved in when we were 24 and 23 and really like the place, we've had two kids since and both are in school two minutes walk from the house so we're well settled.
    Plenty of pubs, restaurants, shops and sports clubs near by.

I've family in Kill and Naas, they love it but the lack of public transport would be a draw back

They would be good options but i just feel they are a bit overpriced. I would like a bit more house for my buck. Ideally i would love a house around 2000 sq ft. Its a case of size more than anything else. Taking on a project or a site would not bother us

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

am I the only one who thinks the OP is mad to even consider buying 1 hrs commute from their current jobs.

If you have to move you could end up with 2hrs commute each way daily and in the same outer Dublin hell that many many people are in right now.

Ask any of them if they would recommend moving out that far just to get something affordable to live in and they will for the most part tell you your insane.

save more and wait and buy where is appropriate for you.

As the saying goes Buy in haste repent in leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

I agree to a point, time spent commuting is wasted time IMO but the quality of life it can afford to live somewhere nice is the upside. Almost everyone I know with families have moved out and would never move back into Dublin.
    Maynooth and newbridge top my list. They have a life and identity of their own despite being in the commuter belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I have recently moved out of Dublin .. my commute is about 50min each way - my wife works from home.

I moved out as I didn't want to live in or near Dublin, I have two young kids and a dog, my priorities were finding a good sized family home, in the countryside, by the sea and with in 5-10 mins of a decent sized urban centre.

Quality of life is a million times what it was in Dublin, in the space of 12 months I have met and become friendly with more people than I did in my 6 years in the previous house.

I would say that a 50 min commute is about the limit; anything more would be painful and would eat seriously in to precious family time.

• Advertisement

homer1916 wrote: »
    They would be good options but i just feel they are a bit overpriced. I would like a bit more house for my buck. Ideally i would love a house around 2000 sq ft. Its a case of size more than anything else. Taking on a project or a site would not bother us

I know two couples who moved out far to get a bigger house (one to Kells, one to Newbridge) and they're back renting in Dublin, like that the commute was too much especially in winter time.
    They still own to houses but have tenants in them.
    I couldn't imagine another 40 mins- 1 hour onto the commute I have now,currently 40-50 minutes, but it mightn't bother you if you get the house you want.
    I don't know whether school places are in your thinking, whether your past that stage or it is still to come.

whippet wrote: »

I would say that a 50 min commute is about the limit; anything more would be painful and would eat seriously in to precious family time.

Your problem is now if you lose your job or have to change jobs. That could become 1hr 20 plus of a commute then what ??

D3PO wrote: »
    am I the only one who thinks the OP is mad to even consider buying 1 hrs commute from their current jobs.

If you have to move you could end up with 2hrs commute each way daily and in the same outer Dublin hell that many many people are in right now.

Ask any of them if they would recommend moving out that far just to get something affordable to live in and they will for the most part tell you your insane.

I am looking for options so that i don't end up with 2hrs each way daily, hence why i said 1 hour each way max. Newbridge to Heuston is 25mins and the bike from there is another 25mins so i reckon door to door is about 1 hour. Plus you are getting exercise

I live in Castleknock at the moment and drive over and it takes anything between 45 mins to 1:15min as is with city centre traffic

I love the way people refuse to do more than 30 mins commute and save 40 mins in their day, which they spend sitting in front of the TV

I would prefer the countryside than the madness of the city

The Mulk wrote: »
    I know two couples who moved out far to get a bigger house (one to Kells, one to Newbridge) and they're back renting in Dublin, like that the commute was too much especially in winter time.
    They still own to houses but have tenants in them.
    I couldn't imagine another 40 mins- 1 hour onto the commute I have now,currently 40-50 minutes, but it mightn't bother you if you get the house you want.
    I don't know whether school places are in your thinking, whether your past that stage or it is still to come.

I thought Newbridge was not that far from Cellbridge?

We dont have any kids yet but hopefully in the next few years we will

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why not look at Rush, Lusk, Skerries, all lovely places with a reasonable commute to where you want to get to.

I am looking for options so that i don't end up with 2hrs each way daily, hence why i said 1 hour each way max. Newbridge to Heuston is 25mins and the bike from there is another 25mins so i reckon door to door is about 1 hour. Plus you are getting exercise

I live in Castleknock at the moment and drive over and it takes anything between 45 mins to 1:15min as is with city centre traffic

I love the way people refuse to do more than 30 mins commute and save 40 mins in their day, which they spend sitting in front of the TV

I would prefer the countryside than the madness of the city

Yeah they probably like relaxing in front of the tv after a long day at work. Nothing wrong or unusual about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I have recently moved out of Dublin .. my commute is about 50min each way - my wife works from home.

I moved out as I didn't want to live in or near Dublin, I have two young kids and a dog, my priorities were finding a good sized family home, in the countryside, by the sea and with in 5-10 mins of a decent sized urban centre.

How idyllic will it seem to your kids when they grow up to be teenagers? Friends of mine with kids have found this was a problem. They have all moved back to Dublin or tried due to changes in jobs too. Plus the loss of property values has greatly effected them. I know people will say Dublin prices fell but that is selectively looking at the data. The reality is only small amount of people bought at the height which is used as the measure

I thought Newbridge was not that far from Cellbridge?

We dont have any kids yet but hopefully in the next few years we will

It would take me 30 mins to drive to Newbridge on a Saturday, it's a fair distance about 35km, Celbridge is on the N4, Newbridge the N7.

It will also take longer than 25 mins to get from Newbridge to Heuston, allowing for stops on the train at peak time.

I'm not trying to put you off but give it plenty of thought, saying that people thought we were mad moving to Celbridge, not knowing anyone, when we could have had the same house in Tallaght or a few other Dublin locations for the same money, but I'm certain we made the right decision;)

Your problem is now if you lose your job or have to change jobs. That could become 1hr 20 plus of a commute then what ??

it could, but that could become a 20-30 min commute just as easily.

Before the M50 upgrade like many others we had commutes with well over an hour just to get to the outskirts of the city .. yet we coped.

I would be relatively secure in employment and the reality is that increasingly I can work from home ... sitting in a home office looking out over the sea is a much better prospect.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    How idyllic will it seem to your kids when they grow up to be teenagers? Friends of mine with kids have found this was a problem. They have all moved back to Dublin or tried due to changes in jobs too. Plus the loss of property values has greatly effected them. I know people will say Dublin prices fell but that is selectively looking at the data. The reality is only small amount of people bought at the height which is used as the measure

I don't get what you are saying here:

Why is not living in Dublin a problem for Teenagers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

I have seen a lot of people get to point of despair over commuting - also have seen people whose health is ruined because of it. Strongly recommend you live as close to work as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Nah, nonsense, I live in Gorey and drive up and down every day to south Dublin we lived in Dublin for years, and the quality of life we have now is fantastic, 3000 sq foot house on 1.5 acres for the price of an apartment in Dublin.

50-60 minutes each way, when I lived in Dublin it easily took that some days to go 10 kilometres.

People in the UK do that as a matter of course.

The one caveat I will give is that I'm not from Dublin, so don't have the allegiance that people from Dublin have, I see Dublin for what it is, we also don't have family there so moving was easy.

If you haven't lived outside of Dublin I'd maybe rent and see if you're happy with the lifestyle, but you do have to bd at the point where you're over clubbing and more interested in settling down.

The Spider wrote: »
    Nah, nonsense, I live in Gorey and drive up and down every day to south Dublin we lived in Dublin for years, and the quality of life we have now is fantastic, 3000 sq foot house on 1.5 acres for the price of an apartment in Dublin.

Conveniently forgetting the fuel costs of doing so. €15 a day 48 weeks a year is 470k over the lifetime of a 30 year mortgage.

50-60 minutes each way, when I lived in Dublin it easily took that some days to go 10 kilometres.

Its not 50-60 mins form Gorey to most parts of Dublin especially in rush hour traffic. Fine if you work irregular hours or work in somewhere like Sandyford on the M50 but if you had to move job to say Swords you could be easily looking at 2hrs plus. That was my whole point, people can move and its great as things stand for them but they don't look down the line.

People in this country can be very shortsighted, the same with all these young couples in apartments now starting families and wondering WTF did I buy an apartment this is no use now for bring up a family.

People in the UK do that as a matter of course.

The one caveat I will give is that I'm not from Dublin, so don't have the allegiance that people from Dublin have, I see Dublin for what it is, we also don't have family there so moving was easy.

Of course much easier to move when you have no family to add in as a consideration.

If you haven't lived outside of Dublin I'd maybe rent and see if you're happy with the lifestyle, but you do have to bd at the point where you're over clubbing and more interested in settling down.

Id agree renting would be a smart first option.

Depends on the car you drive 15 euro a day 48 weeks of the year works out at 108'000. But you will need a decent car, anything german I'd go for.

Actually it'd be worse to work in the city centre than swords, bit it's not a valid point, in that case I'd get the bus, bus lanes on the n11 are pretty quick. If I lived in SCD, I'd have the same problem, it's not the distance, it's the traffic.

I moved from church town to Santry and worked on the south side, my drive to work was 100 times worse than it is now.

Of course the kicker to all this is that a lot of people don't actually want to live in Dublin, especially people who aren't from there, so you have to weigh things up, is it more important for you to bring your family up in a decent area which will be outside Dublin and you'll have to commute, or do you move to an area that's barely in budget but is definitely dodgy in Dublin?

Agree with the apartment comment though.

if you don't want to live in Dublin then I agree fill your boots but and this is what I get from reading the OP's first post if your looking at buying outside Dublin just now because you cant afford in Dublin then I think its wise to question the logic of such a decision.

Maybe Im taking up the OP wrong but that's what I get from the reading of the first post.

if you don't want to live in Dublin then I agree fill your boots but and this is what I get from reading the OP's first post if your looking at buying outside Dublin just now because you cant afford in Dublin then I think its wise to question the logic of such a decision.

Maybe Im taking up the OP wrong but that's what I get from the reading of the first post.

He's also looking for somewhere with a lot of space, which I'm assuming the budget wont stretch to in Dublin? Not many budgets will.

Again you have to decide what you personally want, some people are happy to live in a small terrace and be in walking distance of work, others are prepared to go the distance and have a large detached house on a bit of land.

Anyway up to himself I'm sure we've laid out both pros and cons, and different opinions, so I suppose he'll have to find an area that has the easiest commute and the biggest bang for his buck house wise.

I am looking to buy a house with my wife and we are hoping to get something with a decent amount of space. I work in Sandymount and she works in Castleknock. Has anyone ideas where would be the best place to live within 1 hours commute.

The best option for me seems to be Newbridge and cycle from Heuston to Sandymount, not sure about Castleknock

Can anyone help?

why not look aound tallaght/firhouse or even somewhere in south dublin?
    lots of houses very reasonable for sale and and easy commute for both of you?
    there is really no traffic jams on the m50 anymore, its driving all the way no stuck in car park-like land anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

The Spider wrote: »
    Depends on the car you drive 15 euro a day 48 weeks of the year works out at 108'000. But you will need a decent car, anything german I'd go for.

€15 a day motoring costs seems extremely low to travel the round trip of 200Km. Excluding the actual cost of the car, the AA would put the cost of your commute at between €10,000-€15,000 a year. Petrol alone would cost €25 a day for a band C car.
    http://www.theaa.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Cost-of-motoring/Cost-of-Motoring-2013.aspx

OMD wrote: »
    €15 a day motoring costs seems extremely low to travel the round trip of 200Km. Excluding the actual cost of the car, the AA would put the cost of your commute at between €10,000-€15,000 a year. Petrol alone would cost €25 a day for a band C car.
    http://www.theaa.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Cost-of-motoring/Cost-of-Motoring-2013.aspx

It doesn't I drive a2 litre Audi A6 petrol, comes in at 100 euros a week for the commute, and that's for both of us, excluding anything at the weekend, which generally doesn't cost that much unless we go somewhere. We don't go out that much these days, kids and all that, but when we do 100 euros doesn't go far.

(it's not 100 km it's 79 door to door)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't get what you are saying here:

Why is not living in Dublin a problem for Teenagers?

As the parent have to commute to work the kids have to also commute and often end up going to school miles away from home. That is for parents convenience and better education than available locally.Then there is college.

On top of that there isn't much for them to do in the area.

Advertisement