Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy outside Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    As the parent have to commute to work the kids have to also commute and often end up going to school miles away from home. That is for parents convenience and better education than available locally.Then there is college.

On top of that there isn't much for them to do in the area.

great way to generalise; but way off the mark.

- My 4 year old just started primary school - 1/2 a mile up the road, she has been walking to school with her mammy for the first week
    - Secondary school is about a 20 min walk from the house
    - Within walking distance there are 2 golf clubs, GAA club, Soccer Club, Tennis Club, Scouts Den, Youth clubs etc ...
    - A large urban center is a 5 min drive away which has an abundance of everything you could possibly want, including stuff for the kids, the 4 year old is starting Ballet classes this weekend and is in the middle of swimming lessons.

College I am not too worried about as there are plenty of options and I consider moving out for College being a great educator in life itself.

When we made the move these were the things that were thrown at us by friends and family and I can say over 12 months later nothing has even come close to changing my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭homer1916

The Spider wrote: »
    Nah, nonsense, I live in Gorey and drive up and down every day to south Dublin we lived in Dublin for years, and the quality of life we have now is fantastic, 3000 sq foot house on 1.5 acres for the price of an apartment in Dublin.

50-60 minutes each way, when I lived in Dublin it easily took that some days to go 10 kilometres.

People in the UK do that as a matter of course.

The one caveat I will give is that I'm not from Dublin, so don't have the allegiance that people from Dublin have, I see Dublin for what it is, we also don't have family there so moving was easy.

If you haven't lived outside of Dublin I'd maybe rent and see if you're happy with the lifestyle, but you do have to bd at the point where you're over clubbing and more interested in settling down.

How come you moved to Gorey? Are you from Wexfrod?

I would love a 3000 sqft home, my brother has one in Wexford and it is class. However i cannot see us affording a house like that within 1 hours commute to Sandymount and Castleknock

We are both from Galway and we are open on where we live, be it Dublin or outside Dublin. We are willing to move anywhere as long as the area is not dodgy and will suit kids in the next few years. But my dream is to find the largest house possible, in the nicest area possible, within 1 hours commute to Sandymount and Castleknock.

The best i have came up with is Newbridge and a house around 2000sq ft so far

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

whippet wrote: »
    great way to generalise; but way off the mark.
    Can't be way off the mark I am TELLING you what happened with 4 families I know. How many teenager do you know go to scouts and youth clubs? When your child becomes a teenager come back and tell us how it worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

The Spider wrote: »
    It doesn't I drive a2 litre Audi A6 petrol, comes in at 100 euros a week for the commute, and that's for both of us, excluding anything at the weekend, which generally doesn't cost that much unless we go somewhere. We don't go out that much these days, kids and all that, but when we do 100 euros doesn't go far.

(it's not 100 km it's 79 door to door)
    But that is just the petrol. You have to add in the cost of tyres, extra servicing, repairs, oil etc as listed on the AA website link I gave you.

Also the massive depreciation costs need to be added in. Basically after 3 years your Audi A6 will have done an additional 100,000km. Who wants a 3 year old car with over 100,000 on the clock. Even assuming it is a second hand car the depreciation is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I have recently moved out of Dublin .. my commute is about 50min each way - my wife works from home.

I moved out as I didn't want to live in or near Dublin, I have two young kids and a dog, my priorities were finding a good sized family home, in the countryside, by the sea and with in 5-10 mins of a decent sized urban centre.

Quality of life is a million times what it was in Dublin, in the space of 12 months I have met and become friendly with more people than I did in my 6 years in the previous house.

I would say that a 50 min commute is about the limit; anything more would be painful and would eat seriously in to precious family time.

whippet - Where did you move to ? if you don't mind me asking ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Smoggy wrote: »
    whippet - Where did you move to ? if you don't mind me asking ?

Just north of Drogheda on the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

homer1916 wrote: »

I would love a 3000 sqft home, my brother has one in Wexford and it is class. However i cannot see us affording a house like that within 1 hours commute to Sandymount and Castleknock

We are both from Galway and we are open on where we live, be it Dublin or outside Dublin. We are willing to move anywhere as long as the area is not dodgy and will suit kids in the next few years. But my dream is to find the largest house possible, in the nicest area possible, within 1 hours commute to Sandymount and Castleknock.

Missus is from down that way, I'm further south again, we bought last year but really had to look till we found what we wanted, initially looking in Dublin, but the difference in type of house and land we could get for putting up with a bit of a commute sold it for us.

If you're not from Dublin I'd highly recommend it, the difference in lifestyle is incomparable, we're just 4km from the beach too, usually get up early Saturday morning and head to the beach before anyone is up.

I think Sandymount'dbe doable, castleknock may be a different story though.

Just north of Drogheda on the coast.

Would you make it to Dublin in 50 mins? Where about in Dublin?

That might be practical for Castleknock, but i cant see it working for Sandymount.

If you work on the outskirts of Dublin, you will be grand as you could commute almost anywhere, its the city traffic that is the killer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

How about bray or greystones. Handy for dart to sandymount but wouldn't be sure about the commute to castleknock.
    A 2,000sq ft house in greystones would probably be way over budget though.

Skerries is lovely. Know people that recently moved out and they are so happy. Definitely one to look at.
    Why don't you get in the car and drive around a few areas some weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Can't be way off the mark I am TELLING you what happened with 4 families I know. How many teenager do you know go to scouts and youth clubs? When your child becomes a teenager come back and tell us how it worked out.

I'd have to agree. I grew up in a rural area just outside a small town, and while country living is FANTASTIC for small kids who can entertain themselves for hours with their imagination, it's very different when they get too old to just 'go out and play'. I found myself very, very bored as a teenager, I lived about 15 miles away from where I was going to secondary school so I couldn't just knock around to someone's house. There was nothing available for me in the local town. My parents had to ferry me everywhere, which they couldn't always do due to other commitments, so I was quite isolated and spent many weekends doing absolutely nothing, and ending up arguing with my mother about doing housework. (My argument being that doing your bit around the house is fine, but when your entire weekend consists of hoovering, and cleaning the bathroom and washing dishes just because your mother sees you're at a loose end and you're stuck in the house, it becomes a bone of contention). No internet or sky tv either, two-channel land all the way!!

My point being...kids aren't small forever. Think forward - is there potential for them to make friends locally (within walking distance), is/will there be any place for them to go, anything for them to do? Just make sure that for the sake of a nice big house you don't end up with a houseful of bored teenagers who you have to drive everywhere and who complain that 'there's nothing to doooooo!' every day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

My wifes parents live in Gorey and I work in Sandymount too.
    Whenever we stay in her parents and I have to work next morning it always takes me 55mins give or take 3 mins door to door. Nice area. We were thinking of moving down there at some stage in the next year or two. You get a lot more house for the money than in Dublin to be sure.
    And given that we just bought a Nissan Leaf the commute costs would be very low indeed. And I would save the toll bridge fee I currently pay as well.
    Im sure when they bring in tolling all along the M50 instead of at the bridge i might have to pay a few cents for the bit i travel on the M50 but that might never happen.

Castleknock would be another 20 mins and you would have the toll bridge though.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I'd have to agree. I grew up in a rural area just outside a small town, and while country living is FANTASTIC for small kids who can entertain themselves for hours with their imagination, it's very different when they get too old to just 'go out and play'. I found myself very, very bored as a teenager, I lived about 15 miles away from where I was going to secondary school so I couldn't just knock around to someone's house. There was nothing available for me in the local town. My parents had to ferry me everywhere, which they couldn't always do due to other commitments, so I was quite isolated and spent many weekends doing absolutely nothing, and ending up arguing with my mother about doing housework. (My argument being that doing your bit around the house is fine, but when your entire weekend consists of hoovering, and cleaning the bathroom and washing dishes just because your mother sees you're at a loose end and you're stuck in the house, it becomes a bone of contention). No internet or sky tv either, two-channel land all the way!!

My point being...kids aren't small forever. Think forward - is there potential for them to make friends locally (within walking distance), is/will there be any place for them to go, anything for them to do? Just make sure that for the sake of a nice big house you don't end up with a houseful of bored teenagers who you have to drive everywhere and who complain that 'there's nothing to doooooo!' every day ;)

In fairness, millions of kids have grew up in the countryside and entertained themselfs hurling, playing football or in front of the same amount of channels you get everywhere nowadays or in the entertainment room you could provide for them with the extra space.

You could also look at it the other way, that the teenager grows up in the town and hangs round with the wrong crowd and gets up to no good. I am not getting into the cutie/townie debate, but they both have their advantages and drawbacks

In fairness, millions of kids have grew up in the countryside and entertained themselfs hurling, playing football or in front of the same amount of channels you get everywhere nowadays or in the entertainment room you could provide for them with the extra space.

You could also look at it the other way, that the teenager grows up in the town and hangs round with the wrong crowd and gets up to no good. I am not getting into the cutie/townie debate, but they both have their advantages and drawbacks

Yep, you're absolutely right, no arguments from me there. I was just giving an opinion as to what is was like for me, and I also did know of families who moved into/closer to towns so their children could have playmates etc. (although we are talking pre-internet/mobile phone/sky tv era here). It's just something to consider. I'm not saying to live smack bang in the middle of a big housing estate either, that brings its own problems too, but easy access for kids or teenagers to their friends, school, and/or entertainment would certainly be something I would consider in buying a family home, having grown up quite isolated myself.

Oh I remember the auld culchie/townie debates meself - funny thing was, the girls from the nearby town who (jokingly) called us culchies were just as much culchies as I was when it came to going to college :)

You would think that growing up in the country that teenagers grow up in some kind of isolated box from reading this thread :)

Im sure everyone here knows people who grew up in the country and loved it and some who hated it. And the same goes for growing up in the city.

You would think that growing up in the country that teenagers grow up in some kind of isolated box from reading this thread :)

Im sure everyone here knows people who grew up in the country and loved it and some who hated it. And the same goes for growing up in the city.

Ah it had it's good points too :) and of course, I'm going back 20-25 years here when Ireland was a different place. I'm just saying what it was like for me PERSONALLY. I remember many Saturday afternoons when there was nothing on the telly except Sports Stadium, nowhere to go, nobody to see, and then the mother saying to me "well if you've nothing to do, you can go and wash the floor/clean the toilet/hoover the whole house' etc. Just what every teenage girl (who can't get away from it) wants to hear ;)

Anyway, that's my 2c, let's not pull the thread too much OT.

I'd recommend Wicklow btw ;)

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Yep, you're absolutely right, no arguments from me there. I was just giving an opinion as to what is was like for me, and I also did know of families who moved into/closer to towns so their children could have playmates etc. (although we are talking pre-internet/mobile phone/sky tv era here). It's just something to consider. I'm not saying to live smack bang in the middle of a big housing estate either, that brings its own problems too, but easy access for kids or teenagers to their friends, school, and/or entertainment would certainly be something I would consider in buying a family home, having grown up quite isolated myself.

Oh I remember the auld culchie/townie debates meself - funny thing was, the girls from the nearby town who (jokingly) called us culchies were just as much culchies as I was when it came to going to college :)

Ha, good point. I grew up in town myself btw and had the 6 channels, we were the envy of many people who only had RTE. Thank god those days are behind us. We have no kids yet but I'm sure the dreaded teenager years are ahead of us, but I defiantly don't want to live in the middle of nowhere either

Whenever we stay in her parents and I have to work next morning it always takes me 55mins give or take 3 mins door to door. Nice area. We were thinking of moving down there at some stage in the next year or two. You get a lot more house for the money than in Dublin to be sure.
    And given that we just bought a Nissan Leaf the commute costs would be very low indeed. And I would save the toll bridge fee I currently pay as well.
    Im sure when they bring in tolling all along the M50 instead of at the bridge i might have to pay a few cents for the bit i travel on the M50 but that might never happen.

What time do you start work in Sandymount? I have seen a few nice houses the north side of Wicklow town and Rathnew. It's rush hour that could be the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have recently moved out of Dublin .. my commute is about 50min each way - my wife works from home.

I moved out as I didn't want to live in or near Dublin, I have two young kids and a dog, my priorities were finding a good sized family home, in the countryside, by the sea and with in 5-10 mins of a decent sized urban centre.

Quality of life is a million times what it was in Dublin, in the space of 12 months I have met and become friendly with more people than I did in my 6 years in the previous house.

I would say that a 50 min commute is about the limit; anything more would be painful and would eat seriously in to precious family time.
    Where had you being living? You shouldn't rule out a whole county just because you were in the wrong part.

I'm in kliney and it it tucks all those boxes.

ted1 wrote: »
    Where had you being living? You shouldn't rule out a whole county just because you were in the wrong part.

I'm in kliney and it it tucks all those boxes.

Killiney is one of the most exclusive parts of Ireland, when people say they're moving out of Dublin, they usually mean that they want to have the same lifestyle, you get in Kilinney for a lot less money, and they do t want to li d in a giant housing estate because that's all they can afford.

What time do you start work in Sandymount? I have seen a few nice houses the north side of Wicklow town and Rathnew. It's rush hour that could be the problem

Mostly 9:00am

Sometimes if im feeling lazy i can start at 9:30am, but rarely.

Why dont you do a test run. It doesnt take as long as you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

In a similar position at the moment, interesting to see the replies here

Mostly 9:00am

Sometimes if im feeling lazy i can start at 9:30am, but rarely.

Why dont you do a test run. It doesnt take as long as you think.

I went out to see houses Marniers Point, good value but the development is a disaster, a few houses build on a ghost estate. We were really put off, but we loved Wicklow and having a house 2000-3000 sq ft is so appealing. Savings not close yet but hopefully in the next 8-9 months we will be on track

I went out to see houses Marniers Point, good value but the development is a disaster, a few houses build on a ghost estate. We were really put off, but we loved Wicklow and having a house 2000-3000 sq ft is so appealing. Savings not close yet but hopefully in the next 8-9 months we will be on track

We would be more after older one offs than houses in developments.
    After all the people stuck with pyrite problems, god knows what else is lurking in newer houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Not saying you're wrong, but that seems awfully quick, Bray to stillorgan has often taken me 45 mins by car in the morning (sometimes longer when the kids are back in school). Granted I don't do it very often.

colm_c wrote: »
    Not saying you're wrong, but that seems awfully quick, Bray to stillorgan has often taken me 45 mins by car in the morning (sometimes longer when the kids are back in school). Granted I don't do it very often.

Drove up this morning, Gorey to Cabinteely 48 minutes, Cabinteely to Donnybrook 20 minues.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

do it in the evenings. especially on a Friday, traffic always builds up from cherrywood on. but then again in 18 months when th ebypass is finished tailbacks should be gone

colm_c wrote: »

The most it ever took me was 1 hour. There was a crash at Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why not live near the Maynooth to Bray line?

Casteleknock, for example, would suit one, and the other could get the train & dart to Sandymount.

I live in Leixlip, which is on the Sligo-Connolly line, and have worked in Swords and Clonskeagh. Swords was annoying to get to, as I depended on the bus as well as the train, but Clonskeagh was grand, as it was train and dart.

=-=

Maynooth and Leixlip have regular bus and train to the city, as well as the nearby shopping centre, Liffey Valley (which has a cinema), which would be good for teenagers.

The most it ever took me was 1 hour. There was a crash at Arklow.

How long does it take to get from Gorey to the Wicklow turn off?

I have seen a house in Wicklow town that is handy to get onto the M11 from

• Advertisement

How long does it take to get from Gorey to the Wicklow turn off?

I have seen a house in Wicklow town that is handy to get onto the M11 from

20 mins usually.

Advertisement