Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

placenta localisation scan?

• 05-09-2013 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

The sister in law has been booked in for one for 10 December. She only had her first antanatal last Thursday. She is due in feb. She rang the xray department and they just said not to worry that it was just a new thing doctors or doing now as normal this last 12 months or so? My oh is due any day now and has never been sent for one. Is this the norm or was the department just trying to fob her off and not have her worrying.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What would the x-ray department have to do with this?

I think that's usually done as part of a regular scan. If the placenta is blocking the cervix they let you know. Otherwise you never hear about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Sean Mullen

pwurple wrote: »
    What would the x-ray department have to do with this?

I think that's usually done as part of a regular scan. If the placenta is blocking the cervix they let you know. Otherwise you never hear about it.

Its the number on the letter that was sent out. That's good to know. Shes a wreck thinking about it.

Just to add the scan is not being done at a regular antenatal appointment. Its in the outpatients part of the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

If the doc isn't sure of where exactly the placenta is you'll get that scan. I've had a low lying placenta on both pregnancies early on but both have moved up! Tis nothing to worry about.

Advertisement