Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Scarlets vs Leinster Rugby, Friday 06th Sept 19:05, BBC Wales/RTE.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

hope they get their discipline in order. not happy with 3 yellow cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Joe who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

decisions wrote: »
    We don't look great going forward :(

I miss Joe :(

Still miss Joe??

Serious second half performance from Leinster, Gopperth looks a class signing. Great start to the season, BP win away from home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Buer wrote: »
    Complete capitulation by Scarlets. They were right in this and probably on top after an hour, looking like they'd move back ahead.

They were the better team, but lacked composure at the start. They completely fell apart when Leinster came out actually playing in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Tox56 wrote: »
    They can experiment with Gopperth there, but don't ruin our promising young 10

TBH, Gopperth is a 10/15, not a 10/12. He's the first edition of Beauden Barrett.

• Advertisement

Serious performance. Defensive frailties in the first half but Leinster were lethal with ball in hand. if Macken can sort out his defense he'll be a serious player, as it stands though, it's just not good enough for this level

Good and all as he was in the second half in attack-and he was very good-his defence needs serious work. MOC please take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Zzippy wrote: »
    Still miss Joe??

Serious second half performance from Leinster, Gopperth looks a class signing. Great start to the season, BP win away from home...

I do, but I'm a lot happier after that second half performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

I think we were being a tad hard on macken in defence. He wasn't training in the position with the team over the week and then gets a surprise call up. His defence improved second half.

MOTM Gopperth; 'We stuck to our guns, boys are pretty fit &it showed in the end. The boys were very clinical. Proud to wear the blue jersey'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Joe who? Jonny who? Andrew who? Heinke who? Jamie who? Isa who?

Nah id take them all back in a heartbeat. Except Jonny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Jaggo wrote: »
    I think we were being a tad hard on macken in defence. He wasn't training in the position with the team over the week and then gets a surprise call up. His defence improved second half.

Scarlets didn't have the ball in the second half though!

Good point. Just hope his defence improves because in attack he looked class in the second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Joe who? Jonny who? Andrew who? Heinke who? Jamie who? Isa who?

No seriously, Andrew who?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    MOTM Gopperth; 'We stuck to our guns, boys are pretty fit &it showed in the end. The boys were very clinical. Proud to wear the blue jersey'

Taken straight from the book of NZ post match rugby clichés :pac:

Seriously, NZ rugby players always say exactly the same thing.

But he should be proud of himself, and yes Leinster was the correct choice of province :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

FFS I missed the last 10 min of the game. The rte stream was awful for the whole game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Delighted with the second half performance. Gopperth & Murphy in particular were excellent. Gopperth seems to be a really intelligent player, his positioning off the ball & first up defense was excellent today. Fanning looking like a decent guy too.

On another note, I hope to fooook the Luke is ok! :(

I watched Gopperth closely in the Falcons v Bedford double header play off and i have to say the transition suits his style, he barely missed a beat. A fantastic parting gift from Joe

Is this being replayed later on somewhere? Want to watch it as I really missed most of the action.

.ak wrote: »
    FFS I missed the last 10 min of the game. The rte stream was awful for the whole game.

Really? Was perfect for me for the whole game

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Really? Was perfect for me for the whole game

Yeah dunno why but it was awful for me. I dunno, something might be wrong with my line, but I'm getting 20mb on speedtest so should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Plus, in all fairness, Scarlets are a basket case to defend against. They fling it around crazily. They embarrassed BOD in the HEC last season over there for their try (Maule I think).

Hopefully he improves in defence as it's badly needed but in attack he was classy. He was bouncing players like rag dolls and beating them with pace too. Showed much, much better hands than he has done before. He gave the scoring pass for two tries but it was his quick hands to put Fitz away that led to the first try that was his best.

Raw talent in spades but defensively naive. We need to persist with a bloke that can do that in attack.

Is this being replayed later on somewhere? Want to watch it as I really missed most of the action.

It's on RTE2 at 12:35am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Fine for me. Maybe problem was your side rather than RTE ?

Sorry to say that was your service, it ran smooth start to finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yeah dunno why but it was awful for me. I dunno, something might be wrong with my line, but I'm getting 20mb on speedtest so should be fine.

Worked grand for me with Chrome. had to turn the ad blocker off though, for some reason RTE streams don't seem to like it.

Hrmm. Actually it is my line. Weird, was speedtesting at 20mb before the game but am only getting 2mb now! :o

Bloody magnet...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

In case you didn't get it, your internet is **** ak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

It wasn't skipping for me, but they only had 1024k quality so the picture wasn't near as good as usual. I've never seen that before. Changed over to the roundy ball at half time and they had great quality

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

toomevara wrote: »
    Could not disagree more. The 'hit' ruined the scrum, it was/is singularly responsible for the failure of the scrummage over the past few years and its steady reduction to a cheap ass way to score a penalty/free against your opponent as opposed an effective way to restart a game and a genuine contest between packs...

Plus 1!

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »

How long ago did you post this?! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Have to be happy with that.

Great stuff from Gopperth and too many good performances to name, but still plenty for MOC to work on.

he won't get that message until tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

You'd be better off sending that by carrier pigeon to be honest, chances are it'll get there sooner...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

We broke the proud tradition of losing our first game. Hell has frozen over.

toomevara wrote: »
    Could not disagree more. The 'hit' ruined the scrum, it was/is singularly responsible for the failure of the scrummage over the past few years and its steady reduction to a cheap ass way to score a penalty/free against your opponent as opposed an effective way to restart a game and a genuine contest between packs...

I am delighted with the new scrum laws...and the application of the law about ball down the middle of the scrum. It takes time to bed in, but already it's big improvement. Reminds me of 80s scrums again.

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    We broke the proud tradition of losing our first game. Hell has frozen over.

That's it lads. We're ****ed - not winning anything this year. You can't break with tradition and not face consequences!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

For the benefit of me and durkadurka, were we any use? And have we turned into Munster getting 3 yellow cards?

tolosenc wrote: »
    For the benefit of me and durkadurka, were we any use? And have we turned into Munster getting 3 yellow cards?

Hard to say. Our midfield defence was awful first half, though the scramble was good. We simply ripped Scarlets to shreds in the second half though their heads dropped and they just weren't in the game. Our scrum was a serious worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yellow cards were clumsy rather than systematic penalties due to us struggling or trying to cheat. A badly judged high tackle, a very silly tackle in the air and the last one, for McGrath, was when he kicked out (and didn't really connect) when an opposition player held him down by the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

2 of the yellows came from stupid split second in play decisions, hopefully they will not be the kind of thing that are repeated throughout the season. Mcgraths one is more worrying as he had already kicked out at someone on the ground earlier ( and that too had gone to tmo) so he needs to control himself better

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In case anyone hasnt left this thread it was

You're not suposed to put other scores in match threads. Just in case anyone wants to watch the other games.

Leinster grew into the game as Scarlets fell away. The fringe defense wasn't great in the first half, but for a first-up performance MOC should be happy enough. As Tox56 pointed out, there are a lot of good players still to come back, so it bodes well for the season. Scarlets were a bit awful by the end, so I wouldn't overplay the magnitude of the victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Speedy Rabbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not really sure what to make of that. Very poor first half, going backwards at nearly every scrum, 3 yellow cards, some very serious defensive issues and a lack of leadership in the back line. But a TBP win, 5 tries, a 19-42 away win that denies the opposition a LBP with some very encouraging performances from individuals. I've never felt so conflicted about a performance.

The second half saw us start to look like Leinster again. But the Scarlets completely imploded after half time. Overall I'm very happy. Very, very happy. Opening day jitters obliterated and a great result away from home. And with 6 Lions and 5 internationals yet to come back (plus 2 foreign signings on the way and how many injuries?) things look pretty positive. The first half can be put down to rustiness, but I'm still a little concerned over the scrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

For a team that was (as BBC put it ) missing six Lions, it was frightening how clinical we were in the second half.

Gopperth looked as solid as I thought he looked for the Falcons. Very steady, very effective and a very good bit of business. Fanning and Macken stood out for me in the backs, nobody other than Murphy stood out in the forwards and Murphy had two bad tackles in the first half.

MOC seems to be very much the Joe show continued. Needs to work on the scrum big time, but it's early days and it was hardly our first choice pack.

Was nice to see it clicking and moving up the gears, flawed but brilliant is how I'd describe it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

The best thing you can say about that match is that 15 min in I just wanted it to end without it being too embarrassing. But by the end I felt we could easily have played longer and put up an even bigger score.

Still plenty to work on, but good to see that MOC can redirect a game a halftime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Decent performance, Gopperth was solid while we looked good offensively in the second half.

Work to be done on the midfield defense (Looking at you Macken ;)) and scrum but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt due to the new laws being so drastic.

Now onto the Ospreys next week, hopefully it'll be 2/2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Gopperth is going to prove a quality signing, really solid player.

Would echo one of the previous posts, bit of a mad game. Couldn't tackle for ****e in the first 20, 3 yellow cards, some very turgid stuff a times, and yet a convincing away BP in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Very impressed with Murphy and Gopperth. Gopperth looks to be a good steady FH and just what's needed to settle the nerves after sextons move.

• Advertisement
Advertisement