Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Scarlets vs Leinster Rugby, Friday 06th Sept 19:05, BBC Wales/RTE.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Lucky to be only 16-10 at HT. Macken is awful as usual. He's just not up to it at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

decisions wrote: »
    I know, I know but we look at sea in defence and we have no direction going forward.

Frustrating to watch, but we do tend to get off to a bad start to the season.
    Yes, I remember last season. Fondly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

McCarthy, Boss and Dundon before 55mins, please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Lucky to be only 16-10 at HT. Macken is awful as usual. He's just not up to it at this level.

I've heard suggestions he should move to wing and it might be worth considering. He is a good player, but completely at sea in defence in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Meh, typical first game of the season performance from Leinster. Annoying but it was always coming, ill take a LBP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

To be fair, 99/100 player grounds in that position without any fuss.

We just caught the 1 time! Don't want the ref asking every single thing!

I have no problem with it, in the sense that from where Lacey was the grounding would have seemed fine. Nothing worse than a ref who refers each and every try to the TMO. But since Bevan was asked about the forward pass, he could have volunteered the information about the grounding, which I think he is allowed to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah we look fairly rudderless alright.

He's shown some great hands going forward (one pass that put Luke away leading to the try) and made yards with the ball. He hasn't been great in defence but not the worst and is making an impact on the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Buer wrote: »
    If we wait for Murphy to control the ball and Reddan to move it, we're going to be in even more trouble. Plus the fact that the ball doesn't even seem to be making it cleanly to Murphy.

Thank your lucky stars Lacey seems to have missed the memo regarding the put-in at scrum;
    There will also be a zero-tolerance attitude shown towards scrum-halves who fail to put the ball in straight, forcing hookers to rediscover the lost art of heeling the ball.

...me hole.....

The penalty count is freakishly low. 5 penalties in the match I can think of after 30 minutes? Goes to show how much influence the scrum has on the penalty count.

England, among others, will need new tactics :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

McCarthy would be an addition at half time. Need to start winning more collisions around the field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

If I'm honest, the new scrum laws are doing my head in. It just looks so pathetic, all of it.

Also, I know we don't deserve to be in front, but how on earth the knock-on and forward pass weren't given is beyond me.

It's important to keep in mind when watching us defensively, that there's combinations out there that have very little if any game-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I've heard suggestions he should move to wing and it might be worth considering. He is a good player, but completely at sea in defence in midfield.

Maybe but he has played all his life at 13 so he should be better at defending there at this stage.

He's shown some great hands going forward (one pass that put Luke away leading to the try) and made yards with the ball. He hasn't been great in defence but not the worst and is making an impact on the game.

Ill reserve judgement on him (and everyone) for a few games. Communication and organisation all over the place. Way too many slipped tackles (Macken down the list of offenders)

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I have no problem with it, in the sense that from where Lacey was the grounding would have seemed fine. Nothing worse than a ref who refers each and every try to the TMO. But since Bevan was asked about the forward pass, he could have volunteered the information about the grounding, which I think he is allowed to do.

You could hear in his voice he was thinking about it. I'm not sure if he can but when he was asked for an answer he hesitated before replying "Ehhhhh...pass was fine. You may award the try".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

D'Arcy should really be providing more leadership to that backline. Rudderless in attack and defense at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bit helter skelter but glimpses of good patterns, being well reffed. Id fancy our bench, still in it to win it.

Hagz wrote: »
    If I'm honest, the new scrum laws are doing my head in. It just looks so pathetic, all of it.

Also, I know we don't deserve to be in front, but how on earth the knock-on and forward pass weren't given is beyond me.

It's important to keep in mind when watching us defensively, that there's combinations out there that have very little if any game-time.

How do you mean looks pathetic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wouldn’t write him off yet, only gone 22 and was dropped into the side at the last minute from the looks of things. Communication in defense seems to be an issue throughout, new system perhaps?

• Advertisement

I'd slot Luke in at 13 anyway. Who's 23 for Leinster?

Hudson.

.ak wrote: »
    How do you mean looks pathetic?

Well now that the hit is gone, it looks more like a maul. I used to love the hit.

And now with the whole hook and straight feed, it's so messy.

I know it was a mess before, but it's still a mess by the looks of things.

I don't think that will suddenly solve everything, it's an incredibly difficult position to defend, I don't think Fitz can just be dropped in and know how to position himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Has the second half started? All I'm getting is a black screen with the RTE logo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Has the second half started? All I'm getting is a black screen with the RTE logo

Same here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Just come back for me there.

Tox56 wrote: »
    I don't think that will suddenly solve everything, it's an incredibly difficult position to defend, I don't think Fitz can just be dropped in and know how to position himself

Well he's played 12 before, so put him at 12 and put darc to 13. More or less anything to get Macken out of the way in defence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

disregard

Hit play.

Well now that the hit is gone, it looks more like a maul. I used to love the hit.

And now with the whole hook and straight feed, it's so messy.

I know it was a mess before, but it's still a mess by the looks of things.

Think it looks less messy IMO, but yeah I do miss the hit.

Probably just looks messy tonight cus Leinster are getting man shamed.

I thought the rugby championship showed the scrums can still be clean and atleast there's a good contest for the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

nice try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Well played!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Good try!

Yeah. Lets get Macken off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Please don't let Fitzy be broke again :(

haho fair play Macken! He might not be able to tackle but he's great going forward!

Very good by Jordi there. Impressive by Macken to bounce the defender.

That is a nice try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Could not disagree more. The 'hit' ruined the scrum, it was/is singularly responsible for the failure of the scrummage over the past few years and its steady reduction to a cheap ass way to score a penalty/free against your opponent as opposed an effective way to restart a game and a genuine contest between packs...

If Luke gets injured I'll be curled up in the foetal position floating in a pool of my own tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Well played by Macken, and good strength from Murphy too

Well done Macken, that's the third big bust I've seen him make already, he looks very strong this year

Luke looks fooked!

JG goalkicking looks very tidy. Good man yerself Jimmy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Mike Ross is on fairly early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

has the catching a kick then immediate maul law been changed?

Poor Fitz.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fitz off.

Mike Ross is on fairly early

Moore had to go with blood.

• Advertisement

ah lads he's hardly injured again? Had to switch over to the soccer

Advertisement