Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Behind on rent

Options
  • 05-09-2013 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for advice.
    So im a bit behind on my rent this month however I have a very valid reason, I lost my purse which contained all my cash, bank cards etc. So I am waiting for new cards to be sent out.
    Now I explained this to my landlord and told him as soon as I have my finances sorted again Ill pay the rent. He then said it has to be paid by Monday the latest but I cant gaurentee I will have my new bank card by monday.
    I tried to transfer the money via internet but I need to use my card reader to do that, and since I ave no card as of yet I cant do that. I also explained this to him and he still said Monday by the latest! I am just worried things wont be sorted by monday and I also have other bills to pay.
    Does he have the right to demand the money like that when it is out of my hands? Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Can you not go to a bank branch and withdraw money/transfer money with some ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Vuzuggu wrote: »

Was just going to suggest the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

He can issue you with a 14 day notice of arrears legally but not much else. From my own experience bank cards take about 4 - 5 working days to arrive.

Is it possible for you to go into your local branch with photo ID and a bank statement and then see if you can get the cashier to transfer to landlord's account.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

His next step is to issue you with a 14 day written notice of arrears, and if you sort the rent in that time then nothing more can come of it. Saying you have until Monday is an idle threat; there is nothing more that he can do on Monday sort of issuing the written notice of arrears (assuming that you are a tenant and not a licensee living with an owner occupier).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Quiet Girl

Yeah, that seems to be the last option I have.
    I was just a bit taken aback when he said that to me as I always pay my rent on time and the one time I have a valid reason for being late he says something like that.
    Thanks guys.

• Advertisement

Quiet Girl wrote: »
    I was just a bit taken aback when he said that to me as I always pay my rent on time and the one time I have a valid reason for being late he says something like that.
    Thanks guys.

I suppose at the end of the day its not really his problem why you cant pay the rent; he has a mortgage to pay so he needs the money coming in. Fortunately for you as a tenant the tenancy laws are there to protect you in such a situation, affording you 14 days to get the arrears rectified (from the time of written notification).

Yes I understand he has a mortgage to pay and I suppose that was more of a verbal notification, in any case he will have his rent, I wouldnt like it to come to a stage of written notification

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Thanks guys.

Losing your bank card isn't a valid reason. why do you think it is ? As others have said you can walk into a bank branch and withdraw the money.

Or better yet you could go onto your internet banking and transfer it directly into your ll's account.

Your "excuse" is flimsy, if I were a LL I wouldn't accept it as a reason to be late either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

D3PO wrote: »
    Losing your bank card isn't a valid reason. why do you think it is ? As others have said you can walk into a bank branch and withdraw the money.

Or better yet you could go onto your internet banking and transfer it directly into your ll's account.

Your "excuse" is flimsy, if I were a LL I wouldn't accept it as a reason to be late either.

Correct. You are gone past the cat ate my homework type excuse.
    Property management and letting is a business with expenses to be met from income. Tenants think that all landlords are creaming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Two words: standing order. Simples.

• Advertisement

Ok guys thanks for the delightful input D3PO and Santa Cruz....... The situation is sorted now

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Glad you got sorted out. Landlord sounds a bit of a pain.

mari2222 wrote: »
    Glad you got sorted out. Landlord sounds a bit of a pain.

Tenant sounds a bit of a pain, landlord is just expecting the rent to be on time.

Tenant sounds a bit of a pain, landlord is just expecting the rent to be on time.

Exactly. Im not really sure why there was any call for the sarcastic response either; it might not be what the OP wants to hear but losing your wallet is far from a valid reason for not paying your rent.

well every one has their own opinions, and as for my sarcastic response I was asking for helpful advice not criticism!!

well every one has their own opinions, and as for my sarcastic response I was asking for helpful advice not criticism!!

you asked did he have a right to demand the money when it was "out of my hands"

I don't see how its sarcastic people pointing out to you that it wasn't out of your hands and that you could have walked into a bank branch.

You had no excuse your thought process was skewed and rightly people pointed that out. Its not opinion its fact just because it wasn't all poor you, you poor thing doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

you asked did he have a right to demand the money when it was "out of my hands"
    I hope the OP sets up a standing order, as the LL may not be so forgiving the next time (esp if it's a real emergency).

Advertisement