Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland v Sweden - WCQ - K/O 7.45Pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I definitely agree with Brady about using the players who got you to the euros, why would you change it once you're there.

Because the quality that we played against was a step up from the qualifiers and a lot of the players that played against Croatia were so out of form it would have been justified to give them the boot and that included the great Shay Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Genuine question.. is his English really still that bad, or is it an act/excuse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No I won't admit he is a terrible manager when going into the Euros we were on a great run, and since he got us back to an international competition.

I will also say that some of the vitriol in here, particularly for a guy that ended a ten year tournament drought, is pretty disgraceful.

If he has reached the end of his tenure, so be it; but he does't deserve this kind of abuse.

What's his crime? Doing his best as he sees fit?

Best fans in the world my hole.

Ah pull the other one, you know these qualifiers have been a disaster. You know the Euros were a disaster. You know Trap has been tatically inept since day one and only dumb luck has got him and results. When was the last time we beat a team seeded above us? When was the last time we won a game that mattered against a decent team?
    8 ****ing 1 lose to Germnay.
    You can go and ****e if you think anyone here actually thinks you believe the crap you're coming out with, we all see through it, you and a few others are just trying to save face, still, despite the fact you know you're wrong.

Like Eamon just said, we got to the Euro's because Dunner played the game of his life against Russia and managed to preform a miracle and we got the easiest team we could have in the play off.
    You know that tatically, he was left behind in the bloody 80's and that he has managed to alienate the fans and players of EVERY club he has managed since the mid 90's. We should have lost this game by two more goals but between pure luck and Dunner playing well again, we only lost by a goal.

Trap has managed to set Irish football back years, alienated players from day one, caused attendances to bottom out and is actually losing younger players to other sports because kids watch the national team playing **** football and decide "feck that, I'll play Rugby/Hurling/Bogball".
    The next manager coming in will have to mend all the fences trap has damaged, try to give the squad back the belief that they actually can pass the ball more than 5 yards on the ground and don't have to bypass midfield and that they can pressure the other team outside of the Irish 3rd of the pitch.

I hope he resigns wednesday instead of waiting to be sacked.
    If he has any dignity he would have resigned after the German match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that was very, very bad.

some players underperformed, but the tactics were diabolically restrictive.

new ideas are badly, badly needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

The only thing I will miss about TRAP is his interpreter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Because the quality that we played against was a step up from the qualifiers and a lot of the players that played against Croatia were so out of form it would have been justified to give them the boot and that included the great Shay Given.

And put Forde in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Trap can't speak English. What nonsense is he rambling? I can't be arsed annoying me head listening. All mumble jumble. Just say "ball, opportunity, play well, quality".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd say Trap hates Tony O'Donoghue

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The vitriol of the haters is quite amazing. It must be irritating to see a leviathan of his profession do things his own way for some people.

It's not the 80's anymore, he hasn't been relevent since he left Juventus. He was a disaster as Italy manager, despite winning the league with Bayern he is hated by the fans and his players at the time, before Ireland he was managing in the swiss league, he's a dinosaur and only in it for a pay cheque.

• Advertisement

And put Forde in?

Possibly westwood at the time. Given wasn't fit and he conceded goals that he should have done better with. Managers cant have blind loyalty and we are still seeing with Simon Cox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It must be irritating to see a leviathan of his profession do things his own way for some people.

Yes it is quite irritating to watch hoof ball game after f*cking game. You obviously enjoy it, fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

One thing that pisses me off is naming the team the day before the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

We just have to tell Merkel if she wants that money back she better make sure they send out the f*cking reserves next month.

Germany should win against the Faroes, and they'll be through. So there might be a B Team out there anyhow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Genuine question.. is his English really still that bad, or is it an act/excuse?

I believe it's selective for the occasion, he gets paid enough, he should have a better grasp of the language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am really cringing at the thought of a Trapattoni managed Ireland playing against Germany next month.

• Advertisement

I'm no trap fan, but this is a terrible interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Germany should win against the Faroes, and they'll be through. So there might be a B Team out there anyhow

A German "B" team - doesn't really exist.

I definitely agree with Brady about using the players who got you to the euros, why would you change it once you're there.

If you stand still you go backwards. Loyalty is all very noble buts it's competition that drives squads. We had lads banging on the door but they were left out in the cold.

The players who beat Estonia may not be the best to play Spain and Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Why doesn't he give his answer in Italian and let his interpretor say it in English?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Laois_Man wrote: »
    You're off your head. Nobody would leave any Premier League club to manage Ireland.

Brady has already said he'd never take the job.

It'll be the return of Mick McCarthy.

Thank the high heavens

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    I am really cringing at the thought of a Trappatoni managed Ireland playing against Germany next month.

They will have qualified by the time, so they will play their B team. We will still lose though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why don't they get yer wan to ask the question and then give us back the answer in English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Most interesting part of that interview was Manuela.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

roanoke wrote: »
    Thank you Geoff Shreeves.

I said that a good whole before the final whistle in fairness.

I won't apologise it was ****ing dire, We played **** he made awful pointless substitutions and I'm pissed off to the high heavens please god let him get the boot tonight or maybe do the decent thing and step down.

He was right though yes we a so ****ing dire but to call Trap a senile old b*astard was way out of order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ah pull the other one, you know these qualifiers have been a disaster. You know the Euros were a disaster. You know Trap has been tatically inept since day one and only dumb luck has got him and results. When was the last time we beat a team seeded above us? When was the last time we won a game that mattered against a decent team?

No I don't know these things. If you think so then we disagree. The record against teams above us was there before Trap came along too.
    Seaneh wrote:
    8 ****ing 1 lose to Germnay.

6-1. Same margin United lost to City one time. I didn't want Ferguson sacked for that.
    Seaneh wrote:
    You can go and ****e if you think anyone here actually thinks you believe the crap you're coming out with, we all see through it, you and a few others are just trying to save face, still, despite the fact you know you're wrong.

Don't know why you're getting so personal. I do believe the things I say. I've been around here long enough for people to know I stand by my opinions, regardless of whether or not they are the popular view.
    Seaneh wrote:
    Like Eamon just said, we got to the Euro's because Dunner played the game of his life against Russia and managed to preform a miracle and we got the easiest team we could have in the play off.
    You know that tatically, he was left behind in the bloody 80's and that he has managed to alienate the fans and players of EVERY club he has managed since the mid 90's. We should have lost his game be two more goals but between pure luck and Dunner playing well again, we only lost by a goal.

Ah yeah, the oul' luck argument. Reminds me of the saying: 'Success is a matter of luck; ask any failure.'
    Seaneh wrote:
    Trap has managed to set Irish football back years, alienated players from day one, caused attendances to bottom out and is actually losing younger players to other sports because kids watch the national team playing **** football and decide "feck that, I'll play Rugby/Hurling/Bogball".
    The next manager coming in will have to mend all the fences trap has damaged, try to give the squad back the belief that they actually can pass the ball more than 5 yards on the ground and don't have to bypass midfield and that they can pressure the other team outside of the Irish 3rd of the pitch.

I hope he resigns wednesday instead of waiting to be sacked.
    If he has any dignity he would have resigned after the German match.

Absolute nonsense. Thanks to Trap, a younger generation will have managed to see Ireland at an international tournament for once.

Before he took over the team we were in the doldrums and ranked below Northern Ireland. He turned the team around, set records, and got us to a first tournament in ten years.

You may appreciate what he has done when he is no longer there and we become what Scotland and Wales are : dreamers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's not the 80's anymore, he hasn't been relevent since he left Juventus. He was a disaster as Italy manager, despite winning the league with Bayern he is hated by the fans and his players at the time, before Ireland he was managing in the swiss league, he's a dinosaur and only in it for a pay cheque.

A dinosaur who qualified us for our first tournament in a decade. You can't take it away from him.

A german b team with players playing for squad places will still eat us alive imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Be grand..

just beat Austria and Germany.

coola boola

I'd say Trap hates Tony O'Donoghue

I'd doubt Tony likes Trap all that much either

• Advertisement

People actually trying to defend the indefensible.

****ing hilarious.

Bet that Irish lad in Australia is raging he bought those rights, that was dire to watch for free never mind paying for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd doubt Tony any Irish fan likes Trap all that much either
    FYP..

That was an awful interview. Not even any plan to change things up - maybe swap out a player or two but that's all.

Yep that'll work :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Be grand..

just beat Austria and Germany.

coola boola

All the lads have to do is tog out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ah Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

whats the name of that place in ireland thats full of brazilians......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Haha, Bill in fine trolling form calling for Green.

swoody wrote: »

Gort Co Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

No I don't know these things. If you think so then we disagree. The record against teams above us was there before Trap came along too.

6-1. Same margin United lost to City one time. I didn't want Ferguson sacked for that.

Don't know why you're getting so personal. I do believe the things I say. I've been around here long enough for people to know I stand by my opinions, regardless of whether or not they are the popular view.

Ah yeah, the oul' luck argument. Reminds me of the saying: 'Success is a matter of luck; ask any failure.'

Absolute nonsense. Thanks to Trap, a younger generation will have managed to see Ireland at an international tournament for once.

Before he took over the team we were in the doldrums and ranked below Northern Ireland. He turned the team around, set records, and got us to a first tournament in ten years.

You may appreciate what he has done when he is no longer there and we become what Scotland and Wales are : dreamers

I can't believe there is someone out there still defending Trap. Okay, fair enough he got us to the Euros.. But come on, how can you justify Paul Green in the squad (never mind him coming on) or Simon Cox/Walters being wingers. Trap has to go, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it!!!

• Advertisement

Dunphy ott there with whelan

I don't know but at a guess I would say because they are better have proven it in the season and we are there to try and win and not to be faithful to players just because who they are. Or I could be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

A dinosaur who qualified us for our first tournament in a decade. You can't take it away from him.

A tournament where the Irish team were humiliated and the tactics used by the manager were shown up totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

goodman bill, i didnt know abramovic played for sweden

wonga77 wrote: »
    Dunphy ott there with whelan

I don't think so he has been ****e for some time now and always seems to get away without any abuse.

Such an Irish attitude from Bill

'We'll see what happens against Austria' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Gort Co Galway

we need to check and see if any are related to any amazing young talent in brazil

Ibra played without breaking a sweat,

Might get his book,could be an interesting read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

swoody wrote: »

Time to roll up to Gort with the "Who's got a Tony Cascarino type granny round here lads" card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

aramush wrote: »
    I can't believe there is someone out there still defending Trap. Okay, fair enough he got us to the Euros.. But come on, how can you justify Paul Green in the squad (never mind him coming on) or Simon Cox/Walters being wingers. Trap has to go, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it!!!

He was always going to leave after this campaign, whatever happened.

What he did for the country taking us to a first tournament in ten years shouldn't be dismissed or derided. As Strachan said on ITV's coverage last year, there are Scots who would give anything right now to get to go to a major tournament.

The knives have been out for a long time and if he goes, he goes, but I'm not going to be ungrateful to the guy. If you look back at Big Jack and Mick McCathy's decision making when they were in charge you can find plenty of fault there as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement