Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland v Sweden - WCQ - K/O 7.45Pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Leaving aside the football for a second one thing struck home to me last night; this notion that we are the best fans in the world is absolute bull****. The majority of people around me were more interested in having another pint than making the start of the match, when they got there they started leaving at the 30min mark for burgers, the mass exodus at 80mins was shocking and then there was the audible booing of Simon Cox when he came on - ffs he didn't put himself on!

The Swedes sang us under the table too. The actual cringiness when the first rendition of the Fields circulated just as the game was winding down. 'Glorious Failue'.

Watch now how we'll struggle to get 30k in for the remaining WCQ and Friendlies before the new campaign.

Best fans in the world my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

cson wrote: »
    Leaving aside the football for a second one thing struck home to me last night; this notion that we are the best fans in the world is absolute bull****. The majority of people around me were more interested in having another pint than making the start of the match, when they got there they started leaving at the 30min mark for burgers, the mass exodus at 80mins was shocking and then there was the audible booing of Simon Cox when he came on - ffs he didn't put himself on!

The Swedes sang us under the table too. The actual cringiness when the first rendition of the Fields circulated just as the game was winding down. 'Glorious Failue'.

Watch now how we'll struggle to get 30k in for the remaining WCQ and Friendlies before the new campaign.

Terrible at home great away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Agreed. Irish exceptionalism is just as stupid as American exceptionalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

fsfg wrote: »

I'll grant you that's par for the course for 90% of teams but the way you have the media bigging up the COYBIG 12th man, it's sickening when encounter the actual reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Can't ve be team number 33 in ze Vorld Cup?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Then you have the ones who are having a great auld laugh at the streaker and are joyously waving at the camera for the big screen when we're losing after 88 minutes. There's so many people who don't actually care, but just want to be part of the event. Not a hope do we have "the best fans in the World".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Does anyone have a link to the thread on this forum that has our competive record over the last 10 years, it was stats of every team in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Let's face it, our team is crap. The only one who can score goals is Robbie or else some defender from a set piece. I'll always support the team etc but this is the worst group of players we have had in a long time. We are so screwed when Robbie retires. Two of our three best players are Scottish too which speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

3 people sitting beside me came to sit down 15 minutes in, left after 40 and never returned...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Its not enough to turn on the team and management, ye have to go and turn on the fans now.
    Its fans like that that make me sick. Oh im so much of a fan and the others arent. What are ye hipsters or what? Do you want a medal with that chip on your shoulder. Get the f88k over it.

People pay their hard earned money to go to matches and enjoy a night out. I dont see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

...and then there was the audible booing of Simon Cox when he came on - ffs he didn't put himself on!

Open to correction but I assume they were booing the decision to put him on than booing the player himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ireland's home support has always been pretty wishy washy going back at least the 20 + years I've been watching them. Lots of day trippers just going for the jollies and getting fed up if things aren't going their way. Away support tends to be made up of the more hardcore fans who are there for the game first and a good time second. 'Best fans in the world' is, of course, total hyperbole but whatever good reputation they've built up has come from the away support from which I haven't heard too many negative reports over the years, unlike so many other nations', and by all accounts they were very well received as a group at the Euros as a good natured bunch, by and large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Pj! wrote: »
    Open to correction but I assume they were booing the decision to put him on than booing the player himself?

More than likely but must be disheartening for the player to come on to a chorus of boos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

One thing I find baffling is some people suddenly saying James McCarthy isn't good enough. He was poor last night, no doubt about it, but he's our best midfielder by a country mile and he has shown this countless times.

One poor game does not a crap player make.

Trap needs to go. I appreciate everything he did in almost getting us to South Africa and for getting us to the Euros, however it's been the same gameplan since 2008 and while it was effective at the beginning, zero adaptation, a lack of plan B and blind faith towards ****e players like Ward, Keogh, Whelan and Cox ahead of younger and/or more talented players like Brady, Gibson and Hoolahan have proven his downfall. Simply put, the opposition knew exactly what we were setting out to do once the team was named.

Ciao Trap and thanks for the memories.

kupus wrote: »
    Its not enough to turn on the team and management, ye have to go and turn on the fans now.
    Its fans like that that make me sick. Oh im so much of a fan and the others arent. What are ye hipsters or what? Do you want a medal with that chip on your shoulder. Get the f88k over it.

People pay their hard earned money to go to matches and enjoy a night out. I dont see the problem.

No problem. Just stop with the "best fans in the world" ****e and people will stop pointing out reasons why it's ****e.

andyman wrote: »
    One thing I find baffling is some people suddenly saying James McCarthy isn't good enough. He was poor last night, no doubt about it, but he's our best midfielder by a country mile and he has shown this countless times.

One poor game does not a crap player make.

A safe distance should be kept from anyone who thinks this. McCarthy is easily one of our best players. Yes he has flaws, but far less than most of the rest of our players have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

A safe distance should be kept from anyone who thinks this. McCarthy is easily one of our best players. Yes he has flaws, but far less than most of the rest of our players have.

In a different country, the team would be built around him. Here, we hit the ball over his head for the entire match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

fsfg wrote: »

this sums up alot of teams, not just ireland. doesnt help when results at home are worse than those away from home.

Idbatterim wrote: »

also from the below! Robbie Keane is the 2nd top European scorer in history!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_international_association_football_goal_scorers_by_country

He could probably top the list IF he stays on for another campaign...

Its a strange list, isn't it? Stern bleeding John is up there? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

The one good thing to come out of last night is that Trap will now definitely be gone at the end of this campaign. It was likely that he would have went at the end of this qualification group, but if we managed to fluke our way to Brazil somehow, maybe he would have been asked to stay on.

It's been a sad and acrimonious time since the Euros when he should have left. The FAI like eejits gave him a new deal before the Euros then couldn't afford to sack him, and they couldn't afford to sack him after the 6-1 humiliation by Germany either when it was made clear they wanted him to leave but weren't prepared to pay him off. Two wasted years in the careers of many Irish players, that they'll never get back. The sooner it's over the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Last night was disappointing and I blame trap for most of it. He made terrible subs and never seemed to have a plan b. The hail mary balls were embarrassing last night and even if we managed a set piece we didn't have the correct players on the pitch that could give us a chance to whip it in correctly (Brady).

Not only that, we seem to have a very limited bunch of players and I don't think that will change for some time. Very few Irish players are playing with the "Big" teams now and that is frustrating, as we had a few playing champions league a couple of years ago and it seems we will have none bar Stokes playing in the champions league this year.

However, a lot of the better performers last night have built their careers from the league of Ireland and it is now extremely important that we better finance our league to help develop more players like Coleman. The FAI seems to want to forget about it and let it rot away which is a massive shame and by doing so we will never look like qualifying again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I'm genuinely depressed after last night.

I defended trap for a long time but this simply cant continue any longer. Sweden were average at best. We were behind and chasing the game for half an hour and nothing changed, tactics or formation. The lack of urgency was what annoyed me. This was a qualifier for the World Cup ffs. So again, another summer of watching a World Cup minus Ireland.

Felt sorry for the fans who genuinely tried last night to spur the lads on, but five minutes after our goal it just ground to a halt on the pitch and never got going again. No point trying to pinpoint players for blame either, tactics were just appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Then you have the ones who are having a great auld laugh at the streaker and are joyously waving at the camera for the big screen when we're losing after 88 minutes. There's so many people who don't actually care, but just want to be part of the event. Not a hope do we have "the best fans in the World".

In the 75th minute I started counting the stewards I was that bored. I got to about 50. My lack of interest was also visible in the players on the pitch. I noticed at half time on of our subs having a kick sbout was more interested in hitting rua the mascot than warming up (the worrying thing was he missed twice). There was no hunger, leadership or imagination in that team. It needs a huge change.

This may sound bad but I see that as a positive result. We really need to get rid of trap, he has done all he can for us and when his contract expires it should not be renewed. This way we will not have to dpend a fortune sacking him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

With a modern stadium and quick pitch we now have the days of battling Ireland are long gone. We used to get results because we battled but it wasn't football. Football on the continent is played flat on the deck and it quickly boils down to who has the most technical skill solely.

Robbie Keane said last night that was the way we play and the only way we can play. That may well be the case but until we go total football based on technical ability we are not going to any major tournament. It would require a total culture change here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

aindriu80 wrote: »
    With a modern stadium and quick pitch we now have the days of battling Ireland are long gone. We used to get results because we battled but it wasn't football. Football on the continent is played flat on the deck and it quickly boils down to who has the most technical skill solely.

Robbie Keane said last night that was the way we play and the only way we can play. That may well be the case but until we go total football based on technical ability we are not going to any major tournament. It would require a total culture change here.

We qualified for the last major international tournament

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    We qualified for the last major international tournament

I think the dynamics have changed. It was 10 years out in the wilderness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Whealen has pulled out of the austria game which is good news as we wont have to be subject to watching him trying to play in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great news.

he is ****ing ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Yeah, Paul Green on Tuesday. Get in................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

So, Glen Whelan is out of the Austria match. I hope Wes doesn't mind another 90mins on the bench. Actually, he might bring him on around the 85th minute when we are 2 nil down, just to tease Delaney with another proverbial piece of string.

History has shown that once Trap doesn't take to a footballer's style of play, no amount of public pressure will change that. He would rather play average forwards in midfield roles than play natural footballers in play-making roles as this goes against his style of play. Andy Reid was another talented play-maker that was shoved out of the squad.

Nothing against Trap, just his style of play. I don't care about his English, his interviews, his interpreter (very nice though) or how he conducts himself outside of the game. For me, it's all about the game. The players. The management. The tactics. The desire, hunger and ambition. The ability to adapt from game to game. I don't mind losing, as long as we go down fighting. His rigidity in his 4-4-2 shows lack of imagination, adaptability, and ability. There was a time and place for that. Not these days. Players and football has moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,954 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd have to agree with the assessment that the only way to look at last night is as a stepping stone to getting Trap out and replaced - hopefully only 2 matches of his "style" left to endure, but I wouldn't expect much from the result or even the football. :(

Those giving out about the fans - come on, they've paid their money to be there and then (the first 25 mins aside) they are treated to a shambolic display and nonsensical subs by a manager who doesn't seem to give a toss either. Who can blame them for getting frustrated/bored and leaving early?

Side note.. I don't see what's so great about his interpreter myself :confused:

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Side note.. I don't see what's so great about his interpreter myself :confused:

When watching football the standards can tend to get quite low.

0005e68b-642.jpg

I would like to see a permanent replacement for Whelan. I don't know why he gets a regular start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Was at the game meself, don't go often and won't be back in a hurry, we've such a great stadium and players that could get us far but it's just terrible to watch. Hoofing the ball up etc,

Was watching the rte analysis fair play to dunphy saying what we all know about whelan. He is terrible. And the point made that trap just sticks with the same players like him even if he plays shoite.

Hard to know what we're gonna be like v Austria..hopefully a reaction but its too little too late

The hating on Whelan annoys me, he has been a consistent midfield performer in the Prem for years , he has done a good job for Ireland over those years. He never pretends to be anything he is not and never reacts to the amount of crap he gets from Irish 'fans'.

Like him or lump him no one player has given enough to push him out and there is no obvious choice right now, if they did I don't think he'd have a hissy fit like others have.

As a season ticket holder I respect and appreciate those who give it their all and show respect for the country they represent.

The hating on Whelan annoys me, he has been a consistent midfield performer in the Prem for years , he has done a good job for Ireland over those years. He never pretends to be anything he is not and never reacts to the amount of crap he gets from Irish 'fans'.

Like him or lump him no one player has given enough to push him out and there is no obvious choice right now, if they did I don't think he'd have a hissy fit like others have.

As a season ticket holder I respect and appreciate those who give it their all and show respect for the country they represent.

I agree. I think every midfield needs a Whelan. The only problem I see is that himself and McCarthy do a very similar job and I would rather only one of them on the pitch. Whelan has had some cracking matches in green but I would probably give the heads up to McCarthy as he will be the future.

I agree. I think every midfield needs a Whelan. The only problem I see is that himself and McCarthy do a very similar job and I would rather only one of them on the pitch. Whelan has had some cracking matches in green but I would probably give the heads up to McCarthy as he will be the future.

Definitely, McCarthy has to become the central point in there. Would be great to see him a Gibson team up at Everton but with Barry there unlikely.

Be interesting to see when the new Mgr comes in how he'll shake it up, McCarthy will100% be the main man and rightly so a quality player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Whelan is an absolute disgrace, anyone arguing the opposite is part of the reason why Ireland still has Trap as manager and caveman football is on show every time a match is on in the Aviva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Whelan has been **** now since the Euros.

Not good enough. Time to give someone else a chance.

Whelan is an absolute disgrace, anyone arguing the opposite is part of the reason why Ireland still has Trap as manager and caveman football is on show every time a match is on in the Aviva.

What a load of sh*t, the man is far from a disgrace only a fool would come out with something like that

• Advertisement

Whelan has been **** now since the Euros.

Not good enough. Time to give someone else a chance.

I agree but some of the comments about him are ridiculous. He wouldn't be my first choice but I respect him and how he has accounted himself for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Its a pity Andrews packed it in or whatever happened him , A midfield of him and Mccarthy would be alot better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

^^^ way out of line on that one, whelan might no tbe the best midfielder in the world but one thing you cannot fault is his work.
    He makes mistakes but we're not spain and never will be and when players give 100% and lose then im sad but at least im happy knowing they gave 100%,
    however last night we had a team that seemed to give up, but it was tactics dictated by the coach
    ah fuc it im out of this thread too much bitterness, the only thing not blamed has been the toilet seat in the havelock end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The hating on Whelan annoys me, he has been a consistent midfield performer in the Prem for years , he has done a good job for Ireland over those years.

consistently poor midfielder in the premiership , Stoke never go through the middle , all route one muscle - admit , he has been adequate for Ireland , but in comparison to our midfielders of the past , how sorely we miss keane, townsend, whelan, brady and the like

thebaz wrote: »
    consistently poor midfielder in the premiership , Stoke never go through the middle , all route one muscle - admit , he has been adequate for Ireland , but in comparison to our midfielders of the past , how sorely we miss keane, townsend, whelan, brady and the like

Agree a bit like Ireland nothing through the middle. It ain't his fault the well has been abit dry in there he has done what he can and what is asked.

I ain't trying to convince anyone of his talent but I do believe he deserves reasonable respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Why won't trapattoni at least get Ireland to try to play football instead of this goalkeeper kick to the middle then start an attack.
    Anybody know how trap's team playing style was in the 90's when he was manager of Bayern & Juventus.
    surley it was not this style of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

The amount of gob****es posting here. Just having a pointless, uninformed rant for themselves.

The Glen Whelan bashing is hilarious. Not one person is able to suggest a better alternative. Someone even suggested Keith Andrews would do better! Keith has been just about playing in the Championship the last 2 seasons, Whelan consistently starts for an established Premier League team.

Trap needs to go, badly. And has done since the Euros. The players are way better than they're showing but they're so conditioned to play the way do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I enjoyed hearing Dunne saying that they owed the fans a victory in Vienna ... ah no, Richard, we needed the victory last night, winning on Tuesday night is probably meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

GBXI wrote: »
    The amount of gob****es posting here. Just having a pointless, uninformed rant for themselves.

The Glen Whelan bashing is hilarious. Not one person is able to suggest a better alternative. Someone even suggested Keith Andrews would do better! Keith has been just about playing in the Championship the last 2 seasons, Whelan consistently starts for an established Premier League team.

Trap needs to go, badly. And has done since the Euros. The players are way better than they're showing but they're so conditioned to play the way do.

Match threads are usually a little mad and full of wild over-reactions.

The other options suggested in this thread in place of Whelan (an established Premier League midfielder) are Hoolahan (who doesn't play in midfield for his club) or Andrews (who has just been discarded by Bolton). Neither of these make sense.

To call Whelan a disgrace is clearly absurd.

In time someone like Meyler, Hendrick, or Gibson might be a better option, but under Trappatoni any of them would just spend the match watching long balls sail above their head given the outdated tactics we now employ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

NIMAN wrote: »
    I enjoyed hearing Dunne saying that they owed the fans a victory in Vienna ... ah no, Richard, we needed the victory last night, winning on Tuesday night is probably meaningless.

All it will mean is a 3rd place finish in the group and helping future group seedings. Awful feeling of the Staunton era from the end of this campaign, depressing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement