Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland v Sweden - WCQ - K/O 7.45Pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

People calling for our top goalscorer to be dropped are unrealistic. Keane is the main goal threat we have, hopefully through McCarthy, McClean and Long we can get him a bit of service. Happy that Dunne is playing games this season, hopefully him and O Sheas experience can deal with Ibra, I'm sure he would love nothing more to play against an inexperienced player like Clarke. We are better set up to play away under Trap so the most likely way I can see us qualifying is if we get at least a draw tonight and then nick a win in Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

As far as scoring goals in big games go, St. Ledger is quite a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The same Pilkington who pulled out of so many squads it was embarrassing.

Hoolahan I'll give you that although some people seem to make him out to be Messi.
    Pilkington had Patellar Tendinitis
    its a very niggling injury which can last for a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

If you were to drop Keane, though I'm not convinced you should, I'd bring in Pilkington, move Walters up top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The same Pilkington who pulled out of so many squads it was embarrassing.

Hoolahan I'll give you that although some people seem to make him out to be Messi.

I don't think anyone makes him out to be Messi, rather I think some people recognise that he is a technically proficient footballer, not a very common thing in the Irish squad, IMO he's technically the best player Ireland have, and some people, myself included would like to see our best players play.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm a big fan of Hoolahan, always have been. I think it's the right call tactically in not starting him tonight though. We're unlikely to have enough of the ball in the right sort of areas for Wes to be effective. I think he can definitely make a contribution when the game gets stretched a bit later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭tigger123

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I watched the LA Galaxy away to Vancouver and Donovan got a peach of a goal after a couple of minutes. Keane was being double marked and had a ball played into him fast and he laid if off perfectly for an on rushing Donovan with one touch. Great awareness and deftness of touch.

Long has 16 goals in his last 66 league appearances. Can't finish. We'll need to score to win, Keane is our best chance of that. Same as it ever was.

Long's finishing isnt up to standard yet, Keane has to start.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As regards Keane, you need weigh up whether you want a goalscorer in the team that offers very little from general play and is mostly anonymous or whether you want an extra midfielder who is involved in the play and offers a lot more in general but is unlikely to score.

Personally against the bigger teams I would have Keane on the bench and bring him on in the second half if needed. His complete lack of defensive qualities and the fact he doesn't offer much from general play negates the fact he might pop up with a goal.

I would start him against the smaller teams though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I hope we can win tonight but a draw won't surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Robbie Keane scores goals. To get points in these games Ireland are going to require goals. The comments on Keane from a large percentage of Irish fans are embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Robbie Keane scores goals. To get points in these games Ireland are going to require goals. The comments on Keane from a large percentage of Irish fans are embarrassing.
    Madness to think they would rather play Long up top instead of Keane, I couldn't give a rats if he didn't do a tap for most of the game and nicked the winner, Keane is there to score goals and given half a chance that's what he will do unlike Long or Walters who need a whole host of chances to find the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What was the story with Joey O'Brien? Was with the squad, left due to injury, played for the Hammers on Saturday against Stoke and then (wasn't in Barcelona last night)........is he back in the squad?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The problem is that Keane won't play up top, trap will expect him to drop into midfield and he is terrible at playing that role, especially against the big teams, which is why people have a problem with him playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

vicwatson wrote: »
    What was the story with Joey O'Brien? Was with the squad, left due to injury, played for the Hammers on Saturday against Stoke and then (wasn't in Barcelona last night)........is he back in the squad?

I believe he is taking the international window as a chance to have surgery on an ongoing injury problem.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    The problem is that Keane won't play up top, trap will expect him to drop into midfield and he is terrible at playing that role, especially against the big teams, which is why people have a problem with him playing.

Very true. Trap always uses Keane poorly IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Kingp35 wrote: »
    As regards Keane, you need weigh up whether you want a goalscorer in the team that offers very little from general play and is mostly anonymous or whether you want an extra midfielder who is involved in the play and offers a lot more in general but is unlikely to score.

Personally against the bigger teams I would have Keane on the bench and bring him on in the second half if needed. His complete lack of defensive qualities and the fact he doesn't offer much from general play negates the fact he might pop up with a goal.

I would start him against the smaller teams though.

If you want a 3rd midfielder whichis a fair argument, then why does Long get ahead of Keane when you need your lone striker to get you goals?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If you want a 3rd midfielder whichis a fair argument, then why does Long get ahead of Keane when you need your lone striker to get you goals?

That's a fair point, either would be ok by me as long as we played a 5 man midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Seems to be a huge Swedish crowd over . Temple Bar is packed.
    Anyways 1-0 tonight, Dunne header.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Heis quicker, he brings more energy, he is younger, he is far more likely to cause a problem to their centre backs than Keane and of course he is playing at a higher level than Keane week in, week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McClean strikes me as a confidence type winger in the Downing mode. When he's good, he's very good. At all other times he leaves you feeling in need of a face-palm.

Hopefully Trap showing confidence in him inspires him tonight.

I'm really liking our right side. I know Walters is a bit of a workhorse and slightly limited, but that should free up Coleman a bit more to rampage on. It's a huge relief to a full back to know the man ahead of you will run his bollix off.

Also think McCarthy will be buzzing with his recent move.

I think we'll get the win we need. This Swedish side is far from the vintage years of Brolin, Dahlin and the rest. Even with Ibra in it. we should have won away to them and see no reason we cant turn them over tonight.

I'll go for a very optimistic 3-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nerves are starting to creep in not overly optimistic. God we need to win and bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

While I dont agree with some of the hate for Keane, you also have to look at how a team performs with him, not just the fact he 'scores goals'. The ball is gonna come back a lot more with Keane up there, he can be totally anonymous in games at times, don't think anyone can deny that, his legs are gone half way through. Being anonymous in that way brings greater pressure on the midfield.

Not saying Keane should definitely be dropped, just offering an explanation as to why sometimes people think he shouldnt play. Instead of people offering snide remarks in the vain of ' how dare you say he shouldn't play, you need your head checked' etc etc.

Nerves are starting to creep in not overly optimistic. God we need to win and bad.

A lot of people are saying a draw would be alright. I disagree, a win is needed, badly.

Win tonight and we're in the driving seat for going to the playoffs, anything else is a let down. No reason why we can beat this crowd in Lansdowne.

Getting seriously psyched now. COME ON THE ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Shane Long is considerably better in two aspects of his game which are needed when playing with 1 striker in our system - holding the ball up, and aerial ability. He is either better or evenly matched in most other areas other than his finishing (which is pretty good still).

Could not have Keane on the pitch in the hope of getting a goal when he will offer so little to the team in general play. This has been proven over and over again when he has been the obvious weak link in bigger games, all the way back to the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A lot of people are saying a draw would be alright. I disagree, a win is needed, badly.

Win tonight and we're in the driving seat for going to the playoffs, anything else is a let down. No reason why we can beat this crowd in Lansdowne.

Getting seriously psyched now. COME ON THE ****!

Agree.

No excuses. We fooked up against Austria now we have to win tonight.

Basically if we don't win we require results going our way along with having to beat Austria.

No excuses now. It's time to deliver.

Corholio wrote: »
    While I dont agree with some of the hate for Keane, you also have to look at how a team performs with him, not just the fact he 'scores goals'. The ball is gonna come back a lot more with Keane up there, he can be totally anonymous in games at times, don't think anyone can deny that, his legs are gone half way through. Being anonymous in that way brings greater pressure on the midfield.

Not saying Keane should definitely be dropped, just offering an explanation as to why sometimes people think he shouldnt play. Instead of people offering snide remarks in the vain of ' how dare you say he shouldn't play, you need your head checked' etc etc.

Ireland need a goalscorer - Robbie is exactly that.

The way I see it Ireland arent going to create much either playing 4 or 5 in midfield (the quality isnt there and the style of play wont allow it) so chances won't be plentiful. Robbie will finish a much higher percentage than any other Irish player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think people predicting too much with their hearts here rather then their head.

Dunne has been out of competitive games for nearly 8 months, has had two games for QPR. Might be up to speed with training, but his match fitness surely leaves alot to be desired, coupled with O'Shea looking rather bleak lately, Long probably having his head in the clouds considering he was due to leave WEst Brom and now he is looking like he surplus to requirements there, and Keanes form being less then impressive as of late.

Can't see anything pass a Sweden win. Depends on what type of Zlatan shows up, if it's the not that bothered one, we might have a chance. If its a Zlatan realising the irish CB's are pretty weak right now, I'm sure we are in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think that is a bit harsh, of course he is our leading goalscorer, but all too frequently since he was made captain he drops deeper trying to play the no.10 role, which to be fair he is not any good at, nor ever was. So why he is doing it was always beyond me.

He is a good finisher and should be hanging on the last man, letting others do the ground work.

All too frequently we try a quick break or lash a hopeful cross in and Keane isn't anywhere in sight.

I think the comments on Keane are confusing in a sense that I don't think its clear if he himself is doing this, or the manager has him doing it. If the manager is asking this, raises questions as to why people like Hoolihan isn't doing it. Acting as a no.10 and then dropping in as a third central midfielder when not in possesion, like he does for club.

I've always had Keane for Ireland in the category of Nani at United, really good return but most often then not incredibly frustrating and tends to show a complete inept at understanding his role (comparison is based on that, not a skill or ability comparison)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

He is either better or evenly matched in most other areas other than his finishing (which is pretty good still).

Pretty good? Average at best mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Sweden are yet another 2nd seed team that we will give far more respect than they deserve. Like Slovakia and Bulgaria before them, they are being made out to be something they're not, and all because we're prepared to sit back.

Go forth and attack and I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see their defence go to piss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think people predicting too much with their hearts here rather then their head.

Dunne has been out of competitive games for nearly 8 months, has had two games for QPR. Might be up to speed with training, but his match fitness surely leaves alot to be desired, coupled with O'Shea looking rather bleak lately, Long probably having his head in the clouds considering he was due to leave WEst Brom and now he is looking like he surplus to requirements there, and Keanes form being less then impressive as of late.

Can't see anything pass a Sweden win. Depends on what type of Zlatan shows up, if it's the not that bothered one, we might have a chance. If its a Zlatan realising the irish CB's are pretty weak right now, I'm sure we are in trouble.

he's had 3 games for QPR.

1-0 wins away to Bolton and Leeds. 1-0 home win against Ipswich.

Incidentally the common denominator there is zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Dunne is going to run the show at the back tonight!:D
    He's going to be interviewed after and he'll say "Ibra?"
    Boom.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think that is a bit harsh, of course he is our leading goalscorer, but all too frequently since he was made captain he drops deeper trying to play the no.10 role, which to be fair he is not any good at, nor ever was. So why he is doing it was always beyond me.

He is a good finisher and should be hanging on the last man, letting others do the ground work.

All too frequently we try a quick break or lash a hopeful cross in and Keane isn't anywhere in sight.

I think the comments on Keane are confusing in a sense that I don't think its clear if he himself is doing this, or the manager has him doing it. If the manager is asking this, raises questions as to why people like Hoolihan isn't doing it. Acting as a no.10 and then dropping in as a third central midfielder when not in possesion, like he does for club.

I've always had Keane for Ireland in the category of Nani at United, really good return but most often then not incredibly frustrating and tends to show a complete inept at understanding his role (comparison is based on that, not a skill or ability comparison)

I think Keane is being asked to play that role to try help out with midfield. Im sure he would prefer to be hanging around the box only looking for goals. Could of course be wrong.

Lashing in a hopeful cross cannot really be used against Keane - it should be more measured play but the players arent good enough imo for that.

Can't agree at the Nani comparison at all but that isnt for this thread.

Would love to see Ireland grab the win tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

Nervous now. Talked to a few Swedes. They're nervous too. Draw just won't suit either team.

COYBIG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Can see Ireland going to rot. Think qualification is out the window. Perhaps Robbie's last time in an Ireland shirt? Most definitely his last start anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

on my way to the Aviva now. nerves are setting in but hopefully a couple of pints will help.

I'll hopefully be commenting in here on a fantastic win later.

enjoy it everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Hoping we nick it, but I really fancy the draw here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

COYBIG!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

COYBIG!!
    :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Lots of Clare supporters in Dublin already.

Huge game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

is there a way to watch the RTE boys online??

is there a way to watch the RTE boys online??

aertv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

you are the man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Watching that Austria goal still hurts :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Looking forward to this, excited and nervous in equal measure.

Time to go for it, full house needs to be taken advantage of, get a good start and above all be positive and make use of the positive players in that team.

A defeat will be a disaster, a draw useless, COYBIG!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone notice Dunphy's jacket looking a bit mad in HD :)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Every game is critical but there is always one game that has that little bit more crucial feel to it, and this is it.

I dont know why but I feel weirdly confident. This game will all come down to character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Fingers crossed and think we can win it, wouldn't put money on it though. 1-0 Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Nice HD sound effects of Bill blowing his nose

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement