Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anybody recommend a hotel in new york

Options
  • 05-09-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

going to new york in feb looking for a good hotel, was thinking of the newyorker or the millford plaza can any body help

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You're going to need to give more information that that. approx dates? budget ? have you been before ?

There are a lot of other threads (this question comes up weekly) which should have pretty recent answers and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I'm staying in Fitzpatricks Grand Central. Irish owner and supposed to be a great hotel, a couple of blocks from Central Park, but it's not the cheapest. There is another one a few blocks south too with the same name and is often offered in package deals. Both are on Lexington

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 Have stayed in Fitzpatrick's Grand Central, excellent staff and very nice cosy hotel.

The owner John Fitzpatrick said the following recently about his two hotels in NYC, it's worth bearing in mind for anyone who thinks they're going to find a bargain room rate in Manhattan......

“The outlook for the rest of 2013 is good,” Mr Fitzpatrick said. “It’s all about adding to the average room rate now, there’s not much more we can do with occupancy.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/financial-services/fitzpatrick-s-new-york-hotels-set-to-increase-operating-profits-by-10-1.1504004

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

You dont need to go all the way to NY to stay in an overpriced Irish hotel.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    You dont need to go all the way to NY to stay in an overpriced Irish hotel.

They are not overpriced, if they were they wouldn't have an ocupancy rate over the 12 months of the year of 86%. A few Paddies visiting in the spring and autumn aren't going to keep a hotel in Manhattan in business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭RachealB

The milford plaza rooms are small and the new Yorker is big hotel. Both good for irish travellers. I have stayed in both and loved the new Yorker as near shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Stayed in the Park Central for a week last Nov/Dec. Good location - a couple of blocks down from Central Park & a couple up from Time Square. Friends had stayed there previously and recommended it - and similarly I'd recommend it now.

coylemj wrote: »
    They are not overpriced, if they were they wouldn't have an ocupancy rate over the 12 months of the year of 86%. A few Paddies visiting in the spring and autumn aren't going to keep a hotel in Manhattan in business.

Think again.

If you go all the way to Manhattan why stay in an Irish hotel when there is so much variety?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

I stayed in the Hilton Garden in Chelsea in Manhattan. Good value in a great area.

Think again.

If you go all the way to Manhattan why stay in an Irish hotel when there is so much variety?

Think again.

I didn't stay there specifically because it's Irish, I shopped around and picked it because the location and price matched our requirements. It was my 4th visit to NYC and my first in an 'Irish' hotel.

Since you've probably never set foot in the place, there is very little 'Irish' to the Fitzpatricks Grand Central hotel apart from a few photos in the lobby. Most of the staff are American, it has a tiny lobby and the bar could be any pub in Manhattan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Stay away from Hotel Penn. It's a dive. I paid around 300 dollars and didn't even have running water in the toilet. It was filthy as well.

coylemj wrote: »
    Think again.

I didn't stay there specifically because it's Irish, I shopped around and picked it because the location and price matched our requirements. It was my 4th visit to NYC and my first in an 'Irish' hotel.

Since you've probably never set foot in the place, there is very little 'Irish' to the Fitzpatricks Grand Central hotel apart from a few photos in the lobby. Most of the staff are American, it has a tiny lobby and the bar could be any pub in Manhattan.

Think again.

How you would know where I have set foot in? Pathetic argument.

I've been over and back to NYC dozens of times and been in that hotel a few times. Nothing special to it.

Think again.

How you would know where I have set foot in? Pathetic argument.

I've been over and back to NYC dozens of times and been in that hotel a few times. Nothing special to it.

This is all very helpful to the OP :rolleyes:

If you have been to so many NYC hotels, share your opinions with the OP instead of engaging in a cat fight.

goz83 wrote: »
    This is all very helpful to the OP :rolleyes:

If you have been to so many NYC hotels, share your opinions with the OP instead of engaging in a cat fight.

You should address it to the other respondent. Think before you type.

You should address it to the other respondent. Think before you type.

meow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

[-0-] wrote: »
    Stay away from Hotel Penn. It's a dive. I paid around 300 dollars and didn't even have running water in the toilet. It was filthy as well.

I stayed there with the Miss's and thought it was brilliant! Madison square garden on your doorstep. Maceys next door. Empire State Building around the cornor and Times Square a quick walk away. Room was old fashioned but clean and tidy and plenty of running water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I stayed there with the Miss's and thought it was brilliant! Madison square garden on your doorstep. Maceys next door. Empire State Building around the cornor and Times Square a quick walk away. Room was old fashioned but clean and tidy and plenty of running water!

You got lucky so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

[-0-] wrote: »
    You got lucky so!

Not really. Sounds like you got unlucky...I know 5 couples who stayed there and between the 5 of those and me and herself I'd say we stayed there 12-13 different times and no one has any complaints. Yes it's old fashioned. Yes it could do with a lick of paint and maybe some new carpet but with the traffic in an out of the place it's understandable and considerably cheaper then most others in that location...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I've been in NYC a few times and I always stay in one of The Pod Hotels (51 or 39).
    Funky hotels in Manhatten, relatively cheap for the area.

They have different room types for different travellers and budgets. Like bunkbed rooms with shared bathroom facilities, single rooms with en suite, double, queen, adjoining rooms etc.

I'm going back to Pod 39 in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Just back from 3 nights in Manhattan for work

Stayed @ the Springhill Suites on W 37th Street

What a phenomenal location

Walking distance to Empire State Bldg, Penn Station, Grand Central and Times Square. About 3 blocks from the subway too.

(I walked from Penn with a roller suitcase no problem. I took a cab back because it was 95 degrees and it cost $6)

Rate included free buffet breakfast, and if you wanted to maximize your value for money you could make lunch out of it too (fresh fruit, yogurt, muffins, bread, croissants). Staff could care less, everything left over gets tossed anyway.

Fridge and microwave in the room if you get sick of eating out (which you will)

Laundry facilities ($7 for a wash and dry) in the basement right accross from the 24 hour fitness center. Im thinking if you fired a few loads in while you were there you may have to check less luggage saving money that way.

And to top it off the staff could have not been nicer. Not that you should expect it in NYC, but it was just the icing on the cake.

I honestly dont think its worth skimping on accomadation. People who do end up spending as much on cabs and waste half their vacation getting around from some obscure location)

Also post your question on the Tripadvisor website. Theres a ton of people more qualified to give advice than me who would be happy to help you out.

(PS. From the reviews I have read about the Hotel Penn on tripadvisor-avoid like the plague.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 CiFlood

Stayed in the Warwick Hotel on West 54th and 6th Avenue. Great hotel, location is ideal, and we were upgraded upon arrival. Reasonable prices too. Both Central Park and times sq within 5-10 mins walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

As I have mentioned before, I like the Nyma Hotel on 32nd St.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭cw girl

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Not really. Sounds like you got unlucky...I know 5 couples who stayed there and between the 5 of those and me and herself I'd say we stayed there 12-13 different times and no one has any complaints. Yes it's old fashioned. Yes it could do with a lick of paint and maybe some new carpet but with the traffic in an out of the place it's understandable and considerably cheaper then most others in that location...

I'd agree with you. I stayed there a few times. The rooms were old fashioned but clean and the location is great. Other central options that I stayed in were:

The Dylan was a nice hotel - our price included continental breakfast also which was good.
    UN Plaza: Again a nice hotel, good location

I've also stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn (Tribeca), this was less central, however there are many nice restaurants around there and it was just by a subway stop which were very frequent.

My comments only relate to the standard of hotel, I can't recall how much we paid exactly in any of them

Advertisement