Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alpe d'Huez Long Distance 2014

Options
  • 05-09-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Mulling over this one for 2014 - logistics look a bit of a nightmare, so maybe going with an agent might be an option.

Anyone got any history with it, or even better, fancy a crack at it next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 darrenoconaill

Hi Izoard,

did this race in 2011. Logistics are not too bad. We flew Dublin-Geneva then hired a car and drove to Bourg d'Osains where we rented an apartment for a week. There are also good camping options around there if you fancy going a bit cheaper.

Race is very tough. Swim is nice although the lake is quite cold. I thought I had done plenty training on the bike but my legs were blown after the second climb and it was a long day after that. The weather was also atrocious which made the descents tricky enough. The run is no joke either and parts of it are steep enough.

Having said all that this is an amazing race and despite the torture I loved every minute of it. Cycling up the Alpe d'Heuz less than a week after the Tour had passed through with the names still fresh on the roads was an amazing buzz. It's also a much cheaper option than most IM or even Challenge races in Europe. Would definitely recommend this race and hope to go back at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Izoard wrote: »
    Mulling over this one for 2014 - logistics look a bit of a nightmare, so maybe going with an agent might be an option.

Anyone got any history with it, or even better, fancy a crack at it next year?

It was on the cards for me for 2013 as a 40th birthday trip but it never materialised. Now you have me thinking about 2014..............must resist............

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Race is very tough
    Embruman may be a wee bit easier, tough nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

griffin100 wrote: »
    It was on the cards for me for 2013 as a 40th birthday trip but it never materialised. Now you have me thinking about 2014..............must resist............

40?? Time to start working your way through the bucket-list.

Starting with this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

Go for it...

I did the long in 2010 and short in 2011. In terms of logistics its OK. Go for a week and make the most of the amazing location at the heart of the alps. There are tonnes of apartments for rent in alpe d'huez for really good value for money. There are also lots of events on during the week...

Getting there with public transport is OK there is a direct bus from Grenoble train station. Or like darrenoconaill you could rent a car.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement