Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax on motorcycle.

• 05-09-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,

My dad bought a scooter back in 2009 for me off a friend of his, and he kept out the back for the last 4 years and waited until i was old enough to ride it. Now I have turned 16 in April and got my learner license and would like to start riding.

I'm just wondering, since the motorcycle was off the road and not started in 4 years...will I have to pay the Motor Tax for the last 4 years even though it was not used?

It's around 200 euro if i do, I know it's not that much but we had to get the bike fixed, clean the engine, new battery etc. And all that added up to about 150 euro. So if I have to pay another 200...it wouldn't be too nice :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Neidas wrote: »
    Hello,

My dad bought a scooter back in 2009 for me off a friend of his, and he kept out the back for the last 4 years and waited until i was old enough to ride it. Now I have turned 16 in April and got my learner license and would like to start riding.

I'm just wondering, since the motorcycle was off the road and not started in 4 years...will I have to pay the Motor Tax for the last 4 years even though it was not used?

It's around 200 euro if i do, I know it's not that much but we had to get the bike fixed, clean the engine, new battery etc. And all that added up to about 150 euro. So if I have to pay another 200...it wouldn't be too nice :P

No.

You need to get a form filled out declaring it as off the road. Can't remember what the form is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Neidas

No.

You need to get a form filled out declaring it as off the road. Can't remember what the form is.

yeah but you see i never declared it as an off road vehicle back in 2009, so will they not ask me to pay for those 4 years when i got and get it taxed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Nope.

Get a Garda to sign and stamp the form saying it was off the road, If that don't work put it in your dads name and then yours :D

Nope.

Get a Garda to sign and stamp the form saying it was off the road, If that don't work put it in your dads name and then yours :D

Ah ok, I'll do that so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Now remember...work your way up the CC's, no moped to R1 type stuff ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's why I'm starting out small so i can work my way up the CC's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Make sure to do it before October 1st as the laws are changing. The rf100 form will no longer exist after this date and you might find it more difficult to tax the bike.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

zubair wrote: »
    Make sure to do it before October 1st as the laws are changing. The rf100 form will no longer exist after this date and you might find it more difficult to tax the bike.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

Cheers for that! I'll print the form off right now.

Neidas wrote: »
    Cheers for that! I'll print the form off right now.

No problem and don't worry about getting the gardai to sign it, they won't make a big deal about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

zubair wrote: »
    No problem and don't worry about getting the gardai to sign it, they won't make a big deal about it.

Not true....it depends if he/she got some the night before. I have had trouble from the odd power tripper in a garda station about tax. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Not true....it depends if he/she got some the night before. I have had trouble from the odd power tripper in a garda station about tax. :rolleyes:

LOL. Personally, I haven't had any problems in the past so they must have been in Copper's the night before. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Who is the vehicle registered to? Just change it to yourself if not you, and then tax it. It'll be treated as a newly bought bike and you're not responsible for the owed tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Got the RF100A stamped in the Garda station today on my 'pre-restoration' bike, the garda spent approximately 50 milliseconds looking at the form before agreeing to stamp it. Perhaps they're more concerned about the car tax evaders where it could run into hundreds per year? The real practical problem is getting that and the RF150 (declaration for the next 12 months) sorted out at the motor tax office, it's only open 9:30-3:30 and closed on Mondays due to trying to sort out the mess they made of the new picture-card licences :rolleyes: the mrs has agreed to do it for me but it'll cost me brownie points...

I wouldn't have left it this long, only I send off the VRC to Shannon in July to get the address updated, I still have nothing back. Thought I'd get all my ducks in a row, but it doesn't actually state that you need to produce VLC/VRC to make an off-road declaration. Bike is a pre-2004 import. I wouldn't risk sending the documents in the post / leaving them in the motor tax office letterbox at this late stage.

Scrap the cap!

I got mine stamped yesterday too, the Garda had no problem, didn't ask any questions. I guess they don't have time as everyone was coming in with the same forms lol

Just the tax office has a Que of 300 now, all the farmers declaring their combines and tractors off road..that should be fun especially with their working hours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭gipi

ninja900 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have left it this long, only I send off the VRC to Shannon in July to get the address updated, I still have nothing back. Thought I'd get all my ducks in a row, but it doesn't actually state that you need to produce VLC/VRC to make an off-road declaration. Bike is a pre-2004 import. I wouldn't risk sending the documents in the post / leaving them in the motor tax office letterbox at this late stage.

I declared a bike last month, and the only thing that the tax office staff were interested in were the forms - they didn't ask for the VLC. They appear to check the VLC number (and maybe the chassis number?) entered on the form on their computer system, but that's all. You get a receipt which is your proof of SORN, so probably best for someone to go in in person, even if it does cost you brownie points, lol! :)

Advertisement