Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eternal tomato

• 05-09-2013 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭

I came across this website - Growing the eternal tomato today when researching what to do what with our overwhelming supply of tomatoes this year!

I have a couple of plants that are healthy prolific bruisers (over 2 metres tall grown outdoors) that I'd love to try to keep for next year if possible.

I wonder though if our light levels this far north would be sufficient ?(the article is written by an American which though having colder winters, they would have far sunnier ones than us) for this.

Has anyone ever tried this? Am I mad to even think of trying? Fresh tasty tomatoes at Christmas, talk about putting a festive cheer, I'd love it if it could work!

If I had a big poly I'd definitely give it a go but my little greenhouse has precious small space which has to be preserved for producing veggies over the winter so wont give this a go unless there is a fair chance of success.

What do you reckon?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

People often take suckers in early summer and grow new plants for a late crop.
    I've heard of people trying to over-winter plants but mostly they end up saying it's not worth the effort (and expense if they have to provide heat). Even if the plants did make it through, there would be little advantage over growing new plants from an early sowing in January or February. In fact the the newly sown plants would more than likely be healthier and stronger.
    I guess it's worth a bash for curiosity's sake but I dont think there would be anything to gain and you might just get browned off looking after the thing through the dark months of December and January when the seed catalogues start coming through the letter box :)

Advertisement